LPA Monthly Mix-Up August: "LOST IN THE ECHO"

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Aug 5, 2012.

Storm

Storm Well-Known Member

Bah, I guess I will partecipate someday in the future when the MMU will have reached a major transparency and quality of ethics. Right now, because of unclear rules, I feel I wasted a lot (as in a ton) of time doing remixes here.

lpkilljoy

lpkilljoy Well-Known Member

Got my idea ^_^

Ps. I'm back without the purple (since I'm on my phone)

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

I don't understand. How have you "wasted time"? Do you not enjoy making the remixes? Our rules are pretty loose because this contest is for fun, for people who enjoy making remixes and for people who enjoy listening to them. I'm not really sure what you're getting at about transparency and ethics, there's a bunch of staff who rank our favourites, individually, from 1-5, and that is how it fell in the BURN IT DOWN month. Are you upset because you didn't get featured?

I'm not obligated to do so but here's my constructive criticism on your latest remix and why I didn't feature it in my top five. I thought the instrumental was awesome and it had a great intro. The female vocals killed it for me though, and although I like what you did all together, there were just more remixes (out of 30 by the way) that I enjoyed listening to. There's no bias or favouritism so when you say "quality of ethics" I'm not sure what you're trying to insinuate. I hope you do enter more MMU's, because I really enjoy what you do for the most part.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Don't give up, dude. You put out some really interesting stuff. By "winning" the competiton, you don't really "win" anything. It's a competition online. That's all. There's no monetary prize or anything given to the winner. It's a collective of opinions that decide who the "winner" is. As long as you're happy with what you make, that should be good enough. "Win" or "Lose." Personally, I really liked your intro. It was very landscaping. It was really expiramental. I wished that the whole track kept that feeling. But, that's again, only an opinion.

Storm

Storm Well-Known Member

Thanks for the opinion.
    What I meant is I runned in circles for 26 days, "losing" in average 4 hours a day or more sometimes to construct an original structure to the remix by respecting the rules and limitations given by the MMU code for discovering you accepted one kind of an entry that was clearly double-stated by an admin as forbidden in February that would have simplified everything for me, would have amplified a new world of concepts, given a lot of more fun to the listeners and funny enough even corrected the only critic you made to our remix. I confronted the rules from February to July seeing they were identical so I really didn't understand the point and I felt like I wasted my time 'cause it was too late already and I changed three times face to my remix already and was tired.
    I know I take things too serious, but when I set my skills to something that's how I am. You clearly state in the MMU is a chance to be seen out in the world, which is something I tried for years and the best I could get is the anonimity on YouTube and reason why I quit doing original music since January of this year. So to me is something more than just fun. Is more like "dedication". Like I always said, to do music is like giving up a little piece of your soul.
    Don't ask me what the double-statement of the admin was back then, 'cause I don't wanna go against anybody here. If you're interested check it yourself.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
    Hybrid

I understand that creating a remix takes time and hard work. I get that. The thing is, you cannot always enter in a contest and expect to win. The whole time I did my entry, I knew that it really didn't matter if my entry "won" or not. It was still a fun and cool experience for me. Speaking of my entry, I'm not stupid and I can see that the entry that "was clearly double-stated by an admin as forbidden in February" was about mine. You know... If you wanted to make sure something fell in the lines of what could be done and what couldn't be done, all you had to do was ask. That's what happened with my entry. I asked and thankfully it was acceptable. I'm sure if you asked, they would have said that what you had in mind was acceptable. The MMU rules have clearly changed for this month, so that whole bit about "transparency" and "ethics" can be stowed. Stop letting this ruin your day.

Anne

Anne married to the ocean LPA VIP

I have to agree with what hybrid just said. If your post wasn't directed towards our entry, I apologize, but it's the only entry that worked with individual voices, so I can't see anything that might be wrong with any of the other entries. The point is, I couldn't participate for months, it's the second time I'm able to enter at all because it stated open for all. Just as I did in this thread, I asked if it's acceptable, just as Hybrid said. It was. Next time - just ask if they allow what you have in mind and then do it. You're not the only one who worked his ass off for the contest. Don't take this too serious and don't blame people for things that are simply not true.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Storm, last time you didn't win you bitched about how this contest was unfair, and now here you are again questioning our ethics and saying that we don't know how to pick entries properly. I find that incredibly rude and as the person who came up with the idea to do these contests I must ask you to please start being respectful of our decisions, and graciously accepting when you don't win or just simply not enter. I find it insulting to the other entrants that you suggest you spent more time on a BID remix than they did. I've spent a month on a remix that I can't even enter because I'm a judge. Am I complaining? No.

So please work on your manners because I will not stand for us being accused of rigging contests/competitions again. There is no favoritism and I highly object to the slightest suggestion of that. The sad part is we KNEW were going to bitch because you did this last time. Please grow up.

Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

Hey Derek, I'd still really like to hear that second one. The glitch was the boss.

Abel

Abel Chester Bennington saved my life.

Storm

Storm Well-Known Member

Way to put words in my mouth I didn't speak. Everyone has different times to express their art, to take long or short is not relevant to the final quality. The second part of my remix was completed in the last two days so you're driving this out of line. I said I could have saved a lot of time if I knew the rules better, like 15 days of experiments that didn't work out, trying to bend things together that just didn't fit and finishing in a way that left even myself unsatisfied.
    I didn't ask: why? Because I have good memory and I remembered the question was made already in the same identical kind of contest.
    Please, just ban me so we can get along. I don't want to ruin anybody's day and mine is certinaly not ruined because of this.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I went back and read our instructions for February and they read like this:

To which you asked for clarification:

And Derek replied:

The rules for both contests were exactly the same. So what's confusing you?

The fact people jump all over you is because you have a history of whining about losing. It's very unsportsmanlike. So please stop the sore loser routine, swallow your bitterness, and just move on.

Hybrid

To save a reply from him, this is what he was bitching about.:
    "You must use the original vocals"

He's bent out of shape because Puresque and I did a cover, albeit acoustic, rather than a remix.

Storm

Storm Well-Known Member

You should have gone a bit beyond that point, Mark:
    Derek, 02/02/2012, 04:58PM
    I see what you're asking here, and get where the confusion is so I'll give an exact idea of what you can and cannot do.

Usage of any part of the Burning In The Skies multitracks are permitted. If you wish to sample the guitar, drums, bass and vocals from those tracks we won't hold it against you. We do encourage that you create as much of the "broken down content" as possible as the more 'original' the track, the more impressive. You cannot change the lyrics (we may permit that in future months but for right now no), but you *may* add background vocals as part of the submission, however the Linkin Park vocals must be front and center and may not be blatantly replaced by your own vocals...however; if "ahhs" and "oohs" or doubling a line in the song will enhance the track, go right ahead. You may also alter the pre-existing vocal track's pitch, and melody using autotune/melodyne if you wish. M_Macdonald used MeloDyne to completely reinvent the melody of Chester's vocals in his Given Up remix and we actually gave him praise for it. We'd in a way like to stray away from say using the lead guitar in Given Up on Burning In The Skies, cause it technically turns it into a mashup at that point, so tread carefully there...but otherwise, reinvent the song as you see fit. Just remember, the goal here is to still make Linkin Park the star attraction. The moment that it becomes a cover, is the moment it kinda no longer is a true remix.

Sound good? Hopefully we aren't limiting you too much there :) .

And Hybrid, please stop getting pissed on me, your cover with Puresque is sensational, I was only asking for MMU code to be changed in order to allow to sing, would have changed my approach to the whole remix. I think I didn't say anything against you. Plus I stated Brett's remix was my favorite in July's forum and I'm glad he won. Everybody's missing completely the point.

Hybrid

Maybe I'm getting lost in translation here, but, Storm, you didn't say anything against me, but you insinuated it, which is just as bad, if not worse. Instead of directly saying that my remix was a cover instead of a remix and against the rules, you indirectly were pointing fingers and and were saying that a random entry was against the rules. We're not children here. If there is one thing that I cannot stand, it is when someone accuses someone of something, but doesn't have the decency to say who it is that they were talking about. That type of bureaucratic bullshit doesn't sit well with me. I'm all grown up and can take you asking the admins "Why did Hybrid and Puresque's entry count when the rules stated what they did about vocal tracks." Instead, you just came off accusing the mods/staff here that are the judges of playing favorites. To be clear here, I didn't or haven't kissed anyone's ass to get ahead in any kind of LPA contests, nor will I. I'm not the type of person who looks for a shortcut to get ahead in life. Anyways, the rules for the free-for-all this month have been worded differently to include anything. That should take care of your worries in your first post in this thread. Also, I want to let you know that I, personally, am looking forward to a remix from you this month. The gloves are off, here. Anything goes. This should unleash whatever creativity that you have. Blow us all away. I want to see it. I dare you to do it.

Pat

Pat LPA VIP LPA VIP

FOR EVERYONE WHO IS INTERESTED
    i uploaded my drum samples
    including

Kicks
    Snares
    Hi Hats Closed
    Hi Hats Open
    Rides
    Reversed Crashes
    Crashed

i hope you like it :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?wmhck7o649kr59m

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Storm, you didn't win because your remix didn't get enough votes from a group of over 7 people. That's all there is to it, and you can either drop this vendetta you have/get over it, or not enter these again. We're not going to continue to debate this with you when we already featured you as a runner up in the past. Your initial post was rude, and we called you out on it. We weren't putting words in your mouth at all.

Hybrid

I have become inspired and I think an entry this month from me just might happen after all. :)

Pat

Pat LPA VIP LPA VIP

AFTER 24 HOURS WORK I FINISHED MY MIX OF LOST IN THE ECHO
    I BEEEEG YOU FOR FEEDBACK!
    LISTEN TO THE WHOLE THING!
    SCREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM
    joke, just check it out, but some feedback wouldnt be bad :)
    especially the part at 2:12

[video=youtube;842UInxMjCw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=842UInxMjCw[/video]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
    Anne

Anne married to the ocean LPA VIP

I love the part from 1:04 on
    I really like how you edited WTCFM, especially how you cut out parts, Mike seems frentic due to your edit, which is a great thing.
    2:12-2:30 I don't like that much, then it gets amazing again.
    Very good work.