Breivik

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Liz, Aug 24, 2012.

Liz

Liz ChainsawLiz LPA VIP

Not sure if there is already a thread about this. Anyways..

So, I'm not sure if everyone is aware of the shooting and killing of 69 youths on an island in Norway by a man called Breivik... But thought I'd put up a thread about it for discussion!

He's now convicted to 21 years in prison. It will be extended when those 21 years have passed. Norway doesn't really have lifetime prison, 21 years is their longest punishment, but like I just said, it can be extended.
    I'm just glad it's more or less over and that SOB finally gets his punishment!

Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

Not enough.

Liz

Liz ChainsawLiz LPA VIP

True.. But he will never be free ever again...

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Agreed. If you kill one person, you should have lifetime, let alone 70 people...

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

I know very little about Norway's legal system, but I doubt he's ever getting out of prison. Nor should he.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

This still makes me sick. Killing 77 people in the same day. So disgusting.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Ridiculous. Should've gotten a death sentence.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

I don't actually agree killing someone just because they killed. I rather see them suffer long behind bars for their crimes.

shinformant

shinformant Banned

There shouldn't be a death penalty anywhere for anything. In practical terms it doesn't actually solve anything that can't be solved by other means, and if that's the case why debase ourselves morally and logically?

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

This. I don't understand the death penalty. Partly because of the hypocrisy and partly because it just lets the person off. You die and you don't suffer. I'd rather they lived in hellish conditions.

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

I am from Denmark and our political system is kinda the same.
    We do not approve death penalty, killing killers make us "just" as bad as them.

And for people thinking Breivik is gonna have a bad time in prison - Think again. He won't be able to spread his messages anywhere(which is what he wants) but he will probaly not be in hellish conditions either. He is gonna have a special cell so he can be watched constantly, but he will still have access to internet and tv.

The real question is, why should our society pay for a murder like Breivik to have such good conditions?
    Answer: Because it is the right thing to do. This is what makes "us" better than "them". It's a statement, we are the good guys.
    And while he doesn't deserve one single of our earned cash, we are gonna treat him like a human.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
    Melis

Melis when you're feeling empty, keep me in your memory LPA Super Member

I was shocked when I read that in the newspaper. In my opinion he is mentally disturbed. I read he smiled when he got the 21 years imprisonment...That is really disgusting.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

The death penalty costs much more money than keeping them in prison for life. At least in the US. Plus there will be times when you're killing the wrong person.

Sweden, Denmark, and Norway are the only countries I can think of right now that rehabilitate criminals instead of simply locking them up. Maybe they are the only ones. But there's studies that show it's more effective at cutting down crime, reducing prison time, and reducing repeat offenders than systems like the US.

But there's extreme cases like this when you have to ask yourself, "Why bother?"

Liz

Liz ChainsawLiz LPA VIP

Correction actually.. I read that he won't have Internet! They stripped him off that so he wouldn't be able to write about it (he talked about blogging and writing a book)... I could be wrong though xD But that's what I read x)

And I understand your statement about the society paying for it, but I think being locked up for the rest of his life is worse than death. Death is just an easy shortcut.. He's not worth that....

Yeah. Scandinavia have great rehabilitation. And yes, it works, big time! In the US, like every prisoner repeats their crimes / commits another crime. In Sweden, for example since I'm there xD, that risk is on minimum! Even though I think some punishments for some crimes are WAY too low (like rape and such). But in the big picture, it works pretty well! The US has like one of the highest criminiality per capita in the world, whilst Scandinavian countries are very low. And the US have HIGH prison sentences. IT doesn't work, it just costs money, why not change it?! I just don't get it xD

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
    Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

I don't understand that?
    How can killing one person cost more for society than paying for food etc. for 20 years?

Liz

Liz ChainsawLiz LPA VIP

The society works in fucked up ways

Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Word.

People in the states are more looked at as opportunities to make money than actual people.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Legal proceedings like appeals and whatnot that take place when someone is sentenced to death.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Lock the fucker up in solitary confinement and throw away the key.

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

As far as I know, He'll have access to a laptop of sorts just without internet access like you said. So the guy potentially has the opportunity to write his so called "Biography" during his time of imprisonment.

Regardless of what sentence he has or should have got, I cant get over the fact that this man seems to be so proud of his actions; Believing that he is acting in the "greater good" of western civilisation. And that the death of no less than 70 innocent people means absolutely nothing to him. It boggles my mind why anyone could contemplate such an act.