Disappointed by Living Things?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Dj-Jay, Aug 27, 2012.

Dj-Jay

Dj-Jay Active Member

Is anyone else generally disappointed by this album? Its a great collection of interesting songs..but to me it doesnt have the emotion or expression that all of their other albums have had, i feel like after the masterpiece that is a thousand suns, living things is a huge step back and i dont find myself listening to it often, let me know how you guys feel

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

I get where this is coming from. I'm not disappointed with the entire album, but songs like In My Remains, Burn It Down and I'll Be Gone are just plain boring.

And yeah, I feel like it lacks emotion that ATS had, but songs like Castle Of Glass, Roads Untraveled and Powerless make up for that... Hearing it was gonna be, a ''high energy, heavy guitars rap centered album'' I was expecting millions of sick rhymes and heavy guitars HT had, but that was the part that disappointed me the most... ''Heavy guitars'' can be heard a couple of times, it had one really great rap verse [Victimized], and the ''high energy'' of songs like IMR, BID or IBG doesn't really get to me... I agree it's a step-back from the unbelievable album ATS was, so I'd rather see the MTM or ATS Linkin Park on their next album...

Suffered

Suffered All we need is faith

No! I LOVE LT! Roads Untraveled has more emotion then Hybrid Theory, Meteora and maybe MTM together. As an album it's not a masterpiece like ATS, but it's got masterpieces like Castle of Glass, Roads Untraveled, Skin To Bone or In My Remains. I like it more than ATS but I know that ATS is a better album.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

I was both a little disappointed, but a little relieved.

Disappointed that they didn't continue on going with the direction they were with ATS, but also relieved that it didn't go back into HT/Meteora territory.

But if I had a couple gripes about the album, they would mainly be about the mixing/mastering of the album, having Manny the Mixer didn't really do the album justice in my opinion, and the fact that Burn It Down is on there.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

The only thing that disappointed me was all those interviews about " We wanted to make this record an energetic experience, we wanted to bring back some of the energy of our old records".

If I listen to LT from this point of view, thinking "this is gonna kick me in the face", then I get disappointed. I just end up thinking "Seriously? Is this the most energetic they can get?". If we're talking about energetic records, HT and Meteora both rape LT. Yes, it was more uptempo than ATS, but that's it. I can find tons and tons of records way more energetic than LT (and not especially Metal, really). I think it was unecessary to hype the energetic side of the record so much, because to me, that's not its main quality.

Also, I'm not a fan of the mixing and the overal polished sound. Other than that, I could go on a super big post about all I love about LT, but I'm too lazy to do it :D

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
    Maemi

Maemi Well-Known Member

I was afraid I would be dissaponited as when A Thousand Suns was released, but I wasn´t. In fact, I loved it immediately and I was happy it was different from the previous album and that I liked it much more.

Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

Yes.

Firstly, it was labelled "rap-centric" and it clearly isn't which was a let down.

Secondly, I agree with someone else in this thread who said some of the songs are boring.

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

No, and I can truly say that a good amount of the songs from this album are easily in my top 10.

Skin to bone
    I'll be gone
    Castle of glass
    powerless
    lies greed misery
    (and at one point Burn it down, but I've over played it)

shwcobb

shwcobb 持ち上げて 解き放して

It's a collection of decent songs, couple of them being great, but that's it. In a way, yes, I'm disappointed. But I find it dear :3

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I haven't listened to any of the songs for about 2 months.

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

I love the album, all four songs on it.

1. Lost in the Echo
    2. In my Remains
    3. Tinfoil
    4. Powerless

cradle

cradle Foreword LPA VIP

This exactly BID should have been mixed differently.

Filip

I was talking about IMR, BID and IBG specifically...

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I was not disappointed by the album because I was able to have no expectations for the album since I knew I would love it anyway. I still trust Linkin Park to make music that I will absolutely love.

Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

Yeah, agreed, except swap I'll be Gone with Skin To Bone.

I liked Skin to Bone when the album first came out but now it just seems so boring.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I'm definitely disappointed. The songs aren't *bad* per say but I really believe that it was a step back. I thought A Thousand Suns was absolutely brilliant. I wanted the band to keep going in a different direction. LIVING THINGS was just a re-cap of everything they've done before. I'm not big into that. Some of the songs are enjoyable but nothing truly groundbreaking or exciting.

Filip

Oh man, STB is one of my favorites...

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

Interestingly, I was the same way, except I came out totally disappointed anyway.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

This would be my answer, too.

Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

It's too formulaic. Most of the songs share similar structures, the subject matter shifted back to relationships, the synths don't have memorable melodies and the only thing the guitars contribute are middle-of-the-road power chords that only serve to remind fans that Linkin Park's still a rock band. The mixing's amateurish, there's hardly any worthwhile rap verses and there isn't anything I'd consider a solo. With all their talk of "energy" and "going back to our roots", I honestly think this album was made to appease solely to the fans who were alienated by A Thousand Suns. There's a good EP buried in here, but I damn sure don't like the mindset that went into making it.