Disappointed by Living Things?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Dj-Jay, Aug 27, 2012.

RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

Living Things is a great album, but I don't think I will listen to it as many times as I did with Minutes to Midnight or A Thousand Suns. The songs didn't have that depth of emotion that I loved in A Thousand Suns, and there wasn't much innovation music wise in the album. I'm not really disappointed, but LT feels like a place holder till the next big album.

Geki

Geki >.

I am not disappointed with this album at all. I absolutely love it. It is no where near as good as MTM was, but it's still amazing. I like it a lot more than Meteora and ATS. Hybrid Theory is just simply a classic. It has great songs, with great melodies and the thing I love the most about it is the driving balls to the wall energy. My favorite tracks on the album are POWERLESS and IN MY REMAINS, but the whole thing is amazing. Great album. Good job LP.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

CoG, LITE, Roads Untraveled, Skin to Bone, Lies Greed Misery, In My Remains, and I'll Be Gone are all in my top 10 LP songs, lol. it was a brilliant album to me.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I think some of the songs feature some great rapping, to the point where "Until It Breaks" is now one of my favourite Linkin Park songs ever. That's one aspect where "Living Things" beats "A Thousand Suns" for me. :3

Aside from that, I'm not really sure if the album beats out "A Thousand Suns" as a whole but, as a listening experience, I find it much more enjoyable.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
    Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

I've probably already listened to it more than A Thousand Suns. I love ATS, but I can't just dive into it whenever. Most of the time I'm listening to music, I'm driving or working out. ATS didn't have good gym music, LT did. I also prefer the higher energy of LT while I'm driving. So that alone may make me a little biased when saying that I enjoyed LT more.

However, looking at it from an unbiased perspective, I would say no, I'm not disappointed at all. I really do love the album. That said, I don't want them to make one like it next time. I've got another round of songs from LP that are easily accessible for any circumstance with lots of energy and candy coating. Next time, I want them to spin the roulette again and take another crazy avenue nobody would expect them to.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

The album has some pure moments of genius (Castle of Glass being one of them), but is weighed down by some highly formulaic songs and a few songs that felt more filler than anything. It's better than some of their albums, but not at the top. I do think the next album will be more solid than this for sure.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

I kind of feel the same way!
    Hm, let me guess?

LITE, IMR, BID, IBG for the formulaic

LGM and Victimized for the filler.

At least 3 of those songs are actually my favorite from the record anyway! lol And I don't see how Castle Of Glass, despite being different-sounding, is not formulaic.

Tweak

Tweak Well-Known Member

I have not played LT anywhere near as much as the other albums recently. I find it kind of boring. I can listen to HT over and over but not LT. MTM captured a certain emotion in the last half of the album that really jives with me and a few other songs off the other albums have to, but not LT. Linkin Park needs to have at least 1 epic ballad every album after MTM. I mean 5-7 minute ones not 3:30.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I still listen to it fairly often, but usually only from Castle of Glass onwards. Basically how I rated it when it first came out. I might listen to LGM every now and again, but mostly Castle of Glass to the end.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

So, you'd take the rapping in Until It Breaks over the rapping in Wretches and Kings or When They Come For Me?

Exactly, the second half of the album (CoG and after) is pretty much incredible, with the exception of Until It Breaks... The first half isn't really that great, LITE is good, IMR, BID and IBG are just boring, but LGM is fantastic to me...

Suffered

Suffered All we need is faith

IMO, Wretches And Kings is the worst track on ATS, so yes UIB's verses are better then Wak's, but not better then WTCFM's.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

- Too many filler/radio-ready songs
    - Sounds overproduced
    - Uninspired/rushed song structures
    - Not enough real experimentation
    - Not enough substantial lyrics

So yeah the album was a disappointment for me. It just boring really fast. I don't think I've gone back to LT in the last 2 months.

minuteforce

Though I do like those songs from "A Thousand Suns", yes. Definitely.

Filip

Easily one of the best LP tracks ever.

Weird...

Suffered

Well, that's your opinion...... I think it's the weakest from the album.

Suffered

Well, that's your opinion...... I think it's the weakest from the album.

minuteforce

I might just agree with the notion that, as a whole, "Wretches", is the weakest one on "A Thousand Suns". At the same time, though, I do have quite a soft spot for that song - love the beat. :)

Filip

The beat, the intro, the rapping, the chorus, it's perfect...

Ambush Reality

Ambush Reality LP Underground

Wretches and Kings is awesome and maybe the best track off ATS. Im one of the old school fans who was disappointed by ATS. However, dont hate me, because I've learned to appreciate the ATS style, although it still isnt my favorite LP record. That being said, LT is just average to me. I feel like the record just drops off after Victimized, but picks up for a finale in Powerless. Roads Untraveled and Until it Breaks are growing on me though, Skin to Bone is just annoying and gets stuck in my head in a not-so-good way. I appreciate how LT sounds like old school LP, so I wasnt as initially disappointed as I was on ATS, but after a lot of listnening, LT is getting a bit old to me. And thats something HT or Meteora never did for me.

minuteforce

I certainly felt that way back in 2010 :lol: - I thought then that the rapping was "perfect" but, yeah, my opinion has since changed. Some people have described Shinoda's flow as "awkward" and I vaguely understand what they mean. I personally forgive it because I love it when Shinoda's lyrics are violent