Selected for M&G ... From your experience ...

Discussion in 'On Stage' started by ToTheCitadel, Aug 31, 2012.

ToTheCitadel

ToTheCitadel Wisdom, Justice & Love

Hey guys, what's shaking.

I was selected for a M&G @ the Vancouver show and I can't wait... ! Just a few questions, since I've never actually been to an LP show before. (Or any... lol...)

Since I have GA tickets, I'm assuming the floor will be packed by the time the M&G is over. Once the M&G is over, am I "released" into the floor at the back? Like I said, I've never been to a concert before so I'm not quite sure how it'd work. I'm going with a couple of friends (non-LPU members, sadly) so I really just want to just be with them. Either way, I'll enjoy the show haha.

Thanks guys.

EDIT: Also, what can I get signed? Will I be able to purchase something at the M&G for them to sign if I don't bring anything.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
    Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

It all depends on your crowd and the site of you GA pit. It's always possible for you to move up since fans in the big usually are not as serious as the front of the pack fans. So it'll be very possible to push (if you even need to call it that) up to the middle-front of the pit. At my concert in Tinley, the pit was pretty small and I literally walked to the close front of the pit (no pushing what so ever). Especially after the Incubus set where fans decided to leave or go for a drink/bathroom break. Then after a little ninja'ing I got to thirdish row. You just have to be willing to get around drunk people and be outgoing. It's your first concert, don't let fear get in the way of your experience.

M&G item: There's so many choices. A lot of fans sign something like a CD cover or LP. Others like signing something a little more unique and hang-able like a poster or tshirt. I like to go for something more unique. The limited edition posters on this tour are a great choice. They're big so you can hang it up for viewers and they're rare.

I have gone for more extreme route such as getting my guitar signed and a three piece canvas art signed. Make sure you keep in mind that you have to either hold these items in the pit, check them in, or ask a friend to hang on to them. Also, there's time to run back to your car as well. I'd definitely call in to your arena to let them know if you're going to do one of these things. Ask for check in locations.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Before you run to your car or leave the venue for anything, you need to check with the venue about their re-entry policy.

ToTheCitadel

Thanks for the replies, guys! I'll probably purchase a tour poster to have them sign. (Can I purchase it at the actual m&g?) I think my venue doesn't allow re-entry (at least that's what was stated in the email) so... guess it's a poster. Really wanna get my guitar signed...

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

You lucky bastard! Haha, but really that's awesome news.

Sadly, I haven't gotten selected despite following procedures for a chance in a m&g.

Zane

Well, the posters are sold at the merchandise booth. The Meet and Greet location is completely separate so you can't buy ANYTHING during that.

And let me tell you something, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. It's never an easy quest to get something like a guitar signed. You've definitely gotta work for. The best bet is, and you have to do this, is calling the arena yourself now before the actual show date. They're known to have exceptions to rules for unique circumstances. Plus, the people working at the arena (as in gates and check in locations) are also lenient as long as you are polite and act like you're the sad little boy who needs help. Ask for a check in site, Arenas have them. The key is getting your guitar in. After the meet and greet, you'll have plenty of time to figure out how to preserve it. Usually, you can just go up to security/checkins/gates and be all "oh I had my favorite band sign a very delicate object. I'm in the pit. Please help me out." It works. They'll be nice to you. But it's ALWAYS good to call in beforehand and make sure.

The two times I've gotten crazy things signed, it's taken lots of work and planning ahead to make it happen. It's always uncomfortable and hard but it's worth it. You may not get another chance to meet the band like this. Even with a poster, you still don't want to bring it into the pit. It'll get crushed

ToTheCitadel

Ah, I see.

You're right, it really is an amazing opportunity to actually meet the band that I've been following for over a decade and that has influenced the music I make. I mean, damn... I'll probably never get another chance like this. Is it really that rare for LPU members to get selected for a M/G?

I definitely think of myself as a "people person" so I'll definitely try to call and see if I can suck up/be polite enough to hopefully get something done haha. I only have a few days until the actual event so I'll have to work fast... Unfortunately I'm working every day until then.

Having my guitar signed by Linkin Park would be ... just ... insane ... I don't know what I would do with it. I really appreciate your help with this. Thank you. If you don't mind me asking, what crazy things have you had signed?

Zane

Well, I really can't give you a figure for your chances at future Meet and Greets. It's variable. There are fans like you who have been a part of LPU for years, yet have never gotten a M&G. Then there are new joined fans who instantly gain a Meet and Greet. For me, this is honestly the most humbling experience for me and I treat each time as if it were my last. No Regrets.

Like I said, I don't mean to push you into bringing something you are uncomfortable with. Just do what your heart desires and don't be afraid to do a little extra work. There is no freebie. Even the M&G required work to gain. Same thing goes for your signed object. And the phone call takes less than 15 mins to do. Just call in during their work hours.

It's no problem for your asking. I remember how freaked out was on my first concert/meet and greet. I was doing the same and asking everyone I knew for tips. Turns out, in the end, I just had to figure it all out on my own and just run with it.

And I've been selected for only two meet and greets (out of my only two concerts). I mentioned them both above:

My signed guitar:

[​IMG]

My signed three piece canvas art:

[​IMG]

ToTheCitadel

Wow, those are some beautiful pieces ... I really appreciate your help. I'll definitely give the venue a call on monday or tuesday before the actual concert. Worst comes to worst, I'll just hold on to my guitar during the entire thing lol. I definitely want to get it signed. Having a guitar signed by LP ... Unreal. Do you play yours any more or just have it propped up for all to see. That\s probably what I would do haha.

It's weird that it's just hitting me... I get to meet LP. Holy crap. Thanks again.

Zane

Hey no problem! It's been a pleasure to help. I understand that it's an exciting and stressful occasion. Make sure to bring your guitar in a case. And also, at the door, you NEED to tell the security that it's solely for the Meet and Greet. Good Luck and I most definitely expect pictures! Post them up here after its all over!

And yeah, :lol:, it's all propped up on a stand now. I dare not to scratch it. Walk in my room and you'll see my guitar first and then the painting hanging on the back wall.

ToTheCitadel

Definitely is a little nerve racking that I'll be meeting these guys that I've loved for a decade but at the same time, I can't wait. More anticipation than anything. Definitely going to bring the case haha.. Can't have that thing without its protection. :p Apparently due to time constraints, I won't be able to take individual pictures with LP but I'll see if I can take a recording of my M&G, asking them questions while they sign the guitar. I'll also be tweeting the entire event, M&G and concert... So it should be a good day. :) I'll definitely post all my pics/vids here.

Haha I can imagine... If/When (hopefully) I get my guitar signed, I'll most likely just hang it on my wall for all to see. Sucks because I actually play that guitar the most out of my collection haha ...

Zane

Oh yeah, sure as hell should be nerve racking :lol:. My first time, I just fell apart. Couldn't really speak or say anything at all. Just don't be afraid to be outgoing. More outgoing = more time to chat with band. Just remember that. And yup, the LPU doesn't let you take individual photos. The new system also lacks tables so remember that. The band has brought out only black sharpies at some of the M&Gs so hopefully you're prepared. If you have a black guitar, you can always bring your own marker set. You probably won't be able to take video at the same time as you hold your guitar. And I'll be checking twitter so just PM me here or let me know yoru twitter username and I'll keep track of you on LPA's twitter!

As always, pick a good guitar that is not only a good instrument, but looks good with signatures on it!

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

Re. Nerve Racking: if you acknowledge this in advance you can prepare yourself for it. My first M&G 8 years ago, I fell apart. My second one last year went much smoother because I knew what my first time was like. Even though there was still an "oh shiiiiiiiit" moment right when I saw them, there's just enough time to gather up your thoughts before you actually talk to them. Just give yourself a moment of thought to recover. The rest will go smoothly as long as you actually say something to the band. The band is meeting a lot of people so they kinda run out of things to say, so you gotta take initiative.

Also, use hand soap. The band will appreciate you for it.

ToTheCitadel

The guitar I'm planning on having signed is a white Ibanez ART200 so it should be all good. :D

No tables? Weird, so we'll all just be standing around? Haha. Either way, s'all good. I can be outgoing. As nerdy as it sounds, I've actually been practicing what to say to each member just so I have something to say haha. Thanks again! My twitter is https://twitter.com/C_Panayi ... I'll be tweeting like craaaazyyy haha.

Even though I'm 22, I have this lingering feeling like I'll go in prepared but once the band actually steps out, I'll go blank.. LOL.

Hand soap... I'll remember that haha.

Zane

Blank you shall :lol:. Happens to all of us.

And I had my Ibanez signed too! Gotta love Ibanez guitars. That ART 200 is a beauty. Not sure what would look better, silver or black? Make sure you let the marker dry off too! And dust off any excess dust particles. Wanna keep that guitar in shippy shape! I'll tweet you the day of/day before for more details on the concert.

As for preemptive planning for the M&G, we all do it too so no worries. Half the time, the planning doesn't really help out haha. You just end up talking about whatever pops in mind in that moment.

ToTheCitadel

Haha I can imagine. As soon as I go up to them, it'll be like: "Hi ... I like- .. Potatoes ..."

Yours is an RG120, right? Agreed, Ibanez is an amazing product, especially the ART200. I love PRS as well... Got a Custom SE, ART 200 and ART 300 so far. Since my guitar is white, I'm thinking black marker might show up better. Haha I'll probably be so worried about the signatures coming off that I'll somehow wreck them myself. Great, sounds good! And thanks for the follow!

I'll write down a little note and keep it with me for key conversation points LOL. But seriously, I'll probably just thank Mike for being an inspirational musician/producer. If it weren't for him, I wouldn't be making music. And if it weren't for Brad, I'd have never played the guitar. Damn, now it's really hitting me.

ToTheCitadel

You weren't kidding, Zane ... It was a lot of work but I think it may just work out. I had to talk to the head of guest services and arrange a whole bunch of stuff with her. Must have called her 2-3 times (with her calling me back with info) ... She was so friendly and willing to help me out. If all goes well... I will have a signed guitar by the end of the night.

Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

Hope you have an awesome time at the M&G, dude. Enjoy the show too!

ToTheCitadel

Thanks, Ree! It's going to be great!

Zane

YAY! At least you had a friendly service! The unfriendlies will be the people at the gate and check in locations. They're always like "what the fuck, this is a concert". But kick ass man!

And that potatoes quote :lol:. Reminds me of my friend who said "I like your shirt" to Brad hahahahaha. And my guitar is a RG5EX1