Anyone else think that In My Remains would have been a better choice for a single?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Elaine, Sep 26, 2012.

RiseFromTheAshez

RiseFromTheAshez Banned

Its pretty much the best track on the album so instead of any of those Roads Untraveled would be a better single

mastae

mastae Some Honky

The problem is that Roads Untraveled isn't nearly as marketable. I agree, Roads Untraveled is the better song, but that doesn't necessarily make it the better single market-wise.

I'd love it if The Little Things Give You Away was a single, because I think that's one of their best songs of all time, but there's absolutely no chance that song would chart well.

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

This person gets it.

hybridsoldier1989

hybridsoldier1989 strange things are afoot at the circle k

I don't think so. For some reason, I don't see IMR as reaching as wide an audience among casual listeners. I also think it's one the weaker tracks on LT. I think a good choice for them would be Powerless (unless being released with AL: Vampire Hunter counted as released) or possibly Roads Untraveled.

LP-tastic

LP-tastic Well-Known Member

Even though IMR is one of my favourite songs on the album I have to say no. BID is very radio friendly and doesn´t have a difficult song structure. IMR is more difficult, a mixture of the Catalyst and What I´ve Done in my opinion. BID is the worst song on the album for me and IMR one of the best, so I hope that IMR will be a single.

Gravity_LP

Gravity_LP Well-Known Member

IMR. BID sounds to poppy...that cause idiots that got disappointed at that song not to listen/ buy LT.

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

IN MY REMAINS would of been a good first single. They should of made SKIN TO BONE the first single just to make everyone go ''what the fuck'' :lol: Anyway IN MY REMAINS is a guaranteed single anyway

Geki

Geki >.

I would have loved STB as a single!! Haha.

Gman2887

Gman2887 Well-Known Member

Commercially, maybe. Creatively, not at all.

In My Remains and I'll Be Gone are the red headed step children of New Divide, which in turn is the copy-cat younger brother of What I've Done. I don't understand praise for either In My Remains or it's I'll Be Gone counterpart. Both are practically interchangeable.

Geki

Geki >.

I can see how you compare In My Remains to New Divide and What I've Done, not I'll Be Gone though. I think that song sounds totally different from all of these. Just my opinion though. What I've Done is my favorite LP song of all time so that could be why I love In My Remains so much.

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

I'LL BE GONE is ridiculously similar to New Divide. IN MY REMAINS is different enough from the generic singles for me to love it :D

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

And In My Remains wouldn't be? :lol:

Gman2887

Gman2887 Well-Known Member

Actually I'll Be Gone is musically more similar to New Divide, and What I've Done than In My Remains. I simply lump In My Remains and I'll Be Gone together because I find them both equally generic. Both songs tend to bore me, but if I had to choose between the two I'd pick In My Remains just for Mike's bridge.

What I've Done is a Linkin Park classic, and I love it, but they keep trying to recreate its magic by overusing its structure, beat and sounds. By the time we get to I'll Be Gone everything that worked in What I've Done had dwindled into some cynical attempt to relight a dead candle.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

I must agree here. Despite their similarities, WID totally rapes IBG imo. WID might have a classic structure, but the song still doesn't sound generic to me. On the other side, IBG... I won't say that it sucks, but the song doesn't really have an identity, if that makes sense.

Quack

Quack Well-Known Member

I think In My Remains would have been a great first single. Its a brilliant song, I like it just a bit more than Burn It Down. I hope In My Remains is released as a single in the future.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
    Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

They really, really didn't need to write anything "safe". Especially an entire album of safeness.

I'm curious as to what they're actually concerned with. Writing good music? Or trying to appeal to as many people as possible?

What is relevant? - LP are a headline act, have been for years now and, seeing as ATS wasn't close to being universally panned, they would have continued to be a headline act, writing similar or even more challenging records than ATS, for quite a long time. Even losing a significant portion of their radio/casual fans they'd still have more fans than most bands, and could make a more than comfortable living. They aren't going anywhere. Unless of course they start churning out mediocre records...

Seriously, if Tool can become a festival headliner and sell out arenas writing the type of music they do while selling less than half the amount of records LP have worldwide (yet still headlining over LP if they play the same show - Epicenter '09), if Metallica can continue headlining festivals in the 5 year gap between St Anger and Death Magnetic, then I think LP can get by just fine without playing it safe. Safe music is boring.

The problem (or a problem), IMHO, is they didn't really give ATS much of a chance to catch on/find it's audience before papering over it with something opposite to it(LT). I mean they didn't even tour it for a full year, and "undid" it, for lack of a better term, in less than two. It'll take time for people to find an album like ATS from a band that are percieved as a radio band, which will be made more difficult with LT confirming that perception.

To close I will repeat - Safe music is boring.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

I'm surprised how many people don't seem to understand what goes into picking singles. It has nothing to do with which song the band likes best or which is the most special or whatever. It's about catchiness and marketability.

Burn It Down is simple, catchy, has a great beat, and lots of energy. Perfect lead single. Is it the most creative song on the album? Of course not. If anything that just works to its advantage as far as being a single goes.

I'd Lost In The Echo, Burn It Down, Castle Of Glass, and Powerless are the best options for singles (which coincidentally are the songs they've picked to promote the album with so far). In My Remains and I'll Be Gone could work too. All of these songs are catchy (some more than others) and radio structured.

Roads Untraveled wouldn't make a good single. Where's the catchy chorus to get stuck in everyone's head so they buy the song or request it be played? Until It Breaks requires too much attention from the listener. No chorus and a complete twist in the middle/at the end. Victimized? Too weird and short. Same with Lies Greed Misery (although if they were going to pick a "different" song as a single, LGM would definitely be the one).

Linkin Park has made something very clear over the past couple months: They don't take themselves as seriously as we do.

I, like you, agree that LP should say screw it and try to make the most creative and artistic music they can. But quite frankly the band just doesn't really care about being lauded by critics. They wanted to make an album with high energy songs to keep their sets interesting. They also wanted to make an album that all of their fans could find something to appreciate in.

This album was LP throwing their fans a bone. I've said that since Burn It Down came out, and I think it holds true. They chose that over being really artistic. Do I think that makes them bad artists or sellouts or whatever? No, it's just one album. There's been a lot of separation in the LP fanbase the past 5 years. One album for the fans was probably a good thing.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Brandon makes a lot of sense.