Back then vs Now - What you used to listen too, what you listen to today.

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Duragon, Oct 10, 2012.

Duragon

Duragon Well-Known Member

Simple.
    What kind of bands, genres, songs did you used to listen too in your earlier days.
    and what kind of music do you listen too today
    Are their bands you enjoyed more back then, but can't stand right now because of your taste of music?
    Or anything that has stayed past the years.

Music i enjoyed in early jr.High - Highschool, wich i can't stand today.

Limp Bizkit - Favorite: Behind Blue Eyes.
    Sum41 - Favorite: Fat Lip.
    Dir en Grey - Favorite: Obscure.
    Eminem - Favorite: Mosh, Real Slim Shady.
    Yellowcard.
    50cent.
    All techno/trance stuff i could find.
    Avenged Sevenfold.
    Black Eyed Peas. - Favorite: Pump It.
    Black Label Society.
    Buckethead - Favorite: Welcome to bucketheadland.
    Die Toten hosen.
    Dragonforce.
    System Of A Down.
    Nickelback.
    Outkast.
    R Kelly.

Things i still listen to today, that i also listened to in earlier days.

Gorillaz - Dirty Harry, Melancholy Hills,
    Linkin Park! duh...
    Machinae Supremacy.
    Rage Against the Machine (in smaller portions)
    Audioslave (Just gotten really tired of Chris Cornell's voice)
    Red hot Chilli peppers (In smaller portions)
    Rise against.
    Run DMC.
    Seal - Kiss from a rose. System.
    The Films.
    Michael Jackson.

Some things i didn't like (almost hated) in the early days, but i do today.

Queen.
    U2.
    Justin Timberlake (In smaller portions)

can't really come up with more ATM

wakadoodle

wakadoodle Banned

Bands/Artists that I used to love, and now I hate them more than I ever did and also hating before loving 'em:
    Adele
    Avenged Sevenfold
    Asking Alexandria
    Bullet for my Valentine
    Black Veil Brides
    Escape the Fate
    Rammstein
    Slipknot
    Stone Sour
    Sleeping With Sirens
    Rage Against the Machine
    And pretty much every metalcore/post-hardcore or wutever band :lol:

Bands/Artists I still me gusta:
    U2
    Michael Jackson
    The Lonely Island
    Eminem
    System of a Down (just Lonely Day)
    Eminem
    Three Days Grace
    Katy Perry
    A Day to Remember

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Nice thread. In middle school and early high school, I used to listen to:

Early Linkin Park music
    Disturbed
    System Of A Down
    Limp Bizkit
    Every drum & bass remix on YouTube
    Eminem
    Marilyn Manson
    Coldplay
    50 Cent
    Any popular rap song/Mainstream rap
    Bowling For Soup

In 10th grade I was introduced to the Postal Service album by a close friend, and everything changed. I started listening to Death Cab for Cutie and other Ben Gibbard music. Along with the release of Minutes To Midnight less than a year earlier, my musical taste started to become more mellow and melodic as opposed to all the angry, angsty stuff. I also got into Lupe Fiasco and my rap tastes left the mainstream for more lyrical stuff.

So during junior and senior year of high school, I listened to this:

Death Cab for Cutie
    The Postal Service
    Ben Gibbard's solo work
    OneRepublic
    Lupe Fiasco
    Owl City
    Pendulum
    Dead By Sunrise
    Julien-K
    Phoenix's "Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix" album

Then 2010 came and blew my mind. I bought Year Zero because after the reports of Linkin Park making a "more electronic concept album," I bunch of people on LPL cited Year Zero as an example of what that might be. So that's when I discovered NIN. Someone in my Astronomy class used the song "Angel" by Massive Attack in their video, so along with House, that's how I discovered Massive Attack. That summer, my family took a vacation to Malibu and as we were driving through Hollywood in a top-down convertible (I shit you not), the title track from Sgt. Pepper started playing on the radio. So that's when I discovered The Beatles. In the span of July - September, I listened to the new releases of The Books' "The Way Out," Arcade Fire's "The Suburbs," and A Thousand Suns, and every one of those albums broadened my horizons. When ATS was compared to Kid A, I bought Kid A and discovered Radiohead.

So from the end of my senior year to now (junior in college), I've listened to stuff like this:

Nine Inch Nails
    Arcade Fire
    A Thousand Suns
    The Beatles
    Massive Attack
    The Books
    Radiohead
    Passion Pit
    Porcupine Tree
    Perfume Genius
    OneRepublic
    Death Cab for Cutie
    The Postal Service
    Foster The People
    MGMT

But I still love Bowling For Soup.

Amanda

Amanda RIP Chester LPA Super VIP

I used to listen to Avril Lavigne and Good Charlotte and I thought I was the shit. Just saying. lol We've all been there. Don't judge.

I think I have a bad habit of over listening to songs and wearing them out for myself. If I wait long enough I'm pretty sure I could re-listen to anything and start to like it again.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

I used to listen to a lot of pop/boy bands back when I was a wee lad. Mainly the more popular groups, N*Sync and Backstreet Boys, and owned the first Britney Spears album. Looking at what I listen to now, I tend to listen to a lot of alternative rock and hip hop music. My taste has definitely matured since I was 8. :lol:

chris2

chris2 Smiling At Strangers On Trains LPA Super Member

Hmmm...

Some of my fave bands back then are still my fave bands e.g. Linkin Park, Metallica, Enter Shikari (since their debut 2007), Anti-Flag, Rise Against, The Offspring (the first Punk-band I listened to), Die Toten Hosen, Boysetsfire, Mad Caddies, DK Murphys, Flogging Molly, Millencolin, Sportfreunde Stiller, etc. ...

But tbh I also kinda grew out of some bands or am simply not as much of a fan as I used to be anymore. e.g. Limp Bizkit (hate em' now), Green Day (still like them, but haven't really listened to them actively for a long while), My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, Blink 182, AVA, Emil Bulls +many other pop punk-/alterna rock-/hard rock-bands (all same reason as Green Day)

I actually recently re-discovered P.O.D., which is probably the only Nu-Metal/Hip Hop/Rap Rock-Band, besides LP of course, I still like/love.

For the past one/two/three years I got into lots of heavy music (metalcore/hardcore/deathcore etc...), which is what I listen to mainly besides the bands mentioned above and a little bit of (quality :D) Hip-Hop + some Reggea/Dancehall. However I hate particular heavy bands such as AA, Suicide Silence, Bring Me the Horizon, Black Veil Brides, Escape the Fate, Falling in Reverse...
    I am generally open to all kinds of genres as long as its good music, which is something LP's evolution/change of direction taught me.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
    Xpeerahmental

Xpeerahmental Well-Known Member

Then:

Linkin Park
    My Chemical Romance
    Green Day
    Three Days Grace
    Chevelle
    Godsmack
    Limp Bizkit
    Kid Rock
    ICP (And related acts)
    Weezer
    Motion City Soundtrack
    Senses Fail
    Yellowcard
    Anti-Flag
    Taproot

Kept:

Linkin Park
    Chevelle
    My Chemical Romance
    Motion City Soundtrack
    Green Day
    Weezer (Some, have to be in the mood)
    Senses Fail (Have to be in the mood)
    Taproot ("")
    Anti-Flag

Now:

Celldweller
    Fair to Midland
    Cage the Elephant
    Dead Letter Circus
    Billy Talent
    Blue Stahli
    Polkadot Cadaver
    Dog Fashion Disco
    Diablo Swing Orchestra
    Igorrr
    Engel
    BT

(Just acts I watch for updates, I appreciate more than I follow. [30 Seconds to Mars, The Offspring for example. Awesome stuff.] I'm probably missing some things regardless though.)

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Three artists: lil Jon, limp bizkit, and sugar ray. . . It makes wanna hurl saying I used to like that shit.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

From off the top of my head I used to listen to these artists a lot in the 90's/early 2000's.

Avril Lavigne
    Spice Girls
    Aaliyah
    Veggie Tales... :lol:
    Good Charlotte
    Brian McKnight
    K-Ci & Jojo
    Celine Dion
    Skillet
    Monica
    Godsmack
    TLC
    Maria Carey
    Brandy
    Mary J Blige
    Hansen
    Jennifer Lopez
    Destin's Child
    Britney Spears
    P.O.D
    Whitney Houston
    O-Town
    Demon Hunter
    N-Sync
    The Back Street Boys
    Sugar Ray
    Uncle Cracker
    Linkin Park
    Limp Bizkit
    Boyz II Men
    Everclear
    98 Degrees
    LL Cool J
    The Offspring.

Nowadays, I listen to anything and everything as long as it's good. Including some of these artists.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

What's wrong with the fucking veggie tales!

Xpeerahmental

Xpeerahmental Well-Known Member

Same. I believe any concept can be good if approached well and fittingly. I keep tabs on far less than what I generally appreciate though, haha.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Used to listen to:

Porcupine Tree
    The Beatles
    King Crimson
    Unwound
    Orchid
    Tortoise
    The Mars Volta
    Agalloch
    Deltron 3030
    Tim Hecker
    Eluvium
    The Roots
    Pink Floyd
    Madvillain
    P.O.S.

Now i listen to:
    Lil B
    Gucci Mane
    Kreayshawn
    Bring Me The Horizon
    Waka Flocka
    2 Chainz
    Xibalba
    American Me
    Three 6 Mafia
    Parkway Drive
    Kanye West
    The Story So Far
    Fight Fair
    Nas

ernieball003

ernieball003 Well-Known Member

Pre-2002 (Age 0-12): This is stuff that I casually heard around my siblings or on the radio, and then later on my own. Beginning of this list starts around 1996.
    Various 90s' pop: No Doubt, Cardigans, Hanson, Green Day, Korn, DC Talk, too many other random songs to list
    Space Jam soundtrack
    Godzilla soundtrack (Green Day, Rage Against the Machine, Silverchair)
    Star Wars various soundtracks
    Weird Al (My brother had a Weird Al mix tape)
    My brother's influence: Metallica,Nirvana, (more) Green Day, blink182, (more) Silverchair, Weezer, Red Hot Chilli Peppers

2002- 2005 (Age 12-16): This is stuff that I either branched out on or rediscovered from when I was younger or found on my own. This was my "you can't spell crap without rap" and "if it doesn't have a distortion pedal, it sucks" phase. Oh boy...
    Black Sabbath (My Mum's calls herself on Ozzy-Sabbath fan. Got We Sold Our Soul For Rock N' Roll on Christmas 2002.)
    The Big Three: Nirvana, Linkin Park, Korn
    Others: 311, Stone Sour, The Distillers, Instruction, Smile Empty Soul, Green Day, New Found Glory (Huzzah Adam), Good Charlotte (who were the fucking shit), Sum41, blink182, Slipknot, Godsmack, Limp Bizkit, Evanescence, Incubus.

2005-present (16- you do the math): What really did it for me was forcing myself to listen to the Fort Minor record. After that I realized that it wasn't so bad after all. Like swimming and you're afraid of the deep end when you're little, but then you find out it's actually cooler over there. With newfound freedom the next step was Demon Days. That record opened things up and proceeded to blow my mind.

A good deal of the bands from my 02'-05' are now actually on my most disliked list, if you haven't seen that and all the nifty quote-posts following it. Probably the biggest, no the absolute biggest dropoff would be my Korn fandom. I use to fucking adore that band, but, I'm not blaming it on him, but after Head left the music itself has been subpar. Really, ever since Take A Look In The Mirror their output has been crap. I had enough of a buffer period to really get into the back catalog without noticing the sub-standard output, but recently it hit. Hard. One decent record out of five albums released in a ten year span? That's not enough to keep someone on board. I guess I will see you fall from grace there Jonathan.

Not too many major newcomers have come to take over how stale my old tastes have become but a few current stand-outs are:

Mastodon (because, fuck yeah, it's MASTODON)
    Slipknot (because I love finding new reasons to dig the music)
    Deftones (because after years of flirting, Diamond Eyes dragged me in)
    Nine Inch Nails (because they need to be listed in this thing somewhere)
    A Perfect Circle (because Tool is a bit over-pretentious for my taste)

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Well, when I was 13 or 14, I used to only listen to heavy/angsty music. At the time, my parents were telling me "what is this shit? it's not music, it's noise! When you'll get older and more mature, you won't like that anymore".

I still like it today. I've always seen that idea" when you'll get more mature, you..." as a stereotyps, and stereotyps annoys me. I can still have fun jamming on a Disturbed or Slipknot song.

I'd say the only thing that have changed with time is the fact that my musical tastes have gotten more varied. I still enjoy what I enjoyed back then, but I also love hip hop, indie, electro, industrial, psychedelic, ambient, drum'n'bass,grunge music, which are all things I never though I would like years ago.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Before:

[video=youtube;Gd9OhYroLN0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd9OhYroLN0[/video]

Now:

[video=youtube;ScNNfyq3d_w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScNNfyq3d_w[/video]

^That's actually true.

But, seriously, I heard all of RHCP's stuff when I was like 5-6, my dad was really into them.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

This, I still like a lot of the old stuff I used to listen to (not the 3 bands I mentioned above however :lol:). My taste has just expanded. Which helps keep the stuff I've heard a million times interesting. It helps appreciate different aspects of the music. For example I recently got into classical. It gives me a whole new perspective on the music I listen to. So my taste hasn't changed a whole. It's just gotten bigger and deeper, if that makes any sense.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Pre-High School: I started listening to music really young (about 8 or 9 years old). I started off listening to hip-hop and electronic music. Didn't really care for much rock music at that time, the exceptions being bands like Green Day and Weezer. Then around middle school I got heavily into rock. Korn, Deftones, Pantera, Disturbed and, of course, Linkin Park were some of my favorites. I still adore Deftones and Pantera, in particular.

High School: This is when I got really into metal and hardcore. Killswitch Engage's Alive or Just Breathing absolutely blew my teenage mind back in 2002. After that it was metalcore city: Chimaira, Shadows Fall, Unearth -- SO MANY BREAKDOWNS. This eventually led to me getting into other heavy bands that I actually still love like Mastodon, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Every Time I Die, and Converge. I also began getting into post-hardcore/Warped-Tour-ready bands like Thrice, Glassjaw, Brand New, Funeral for a Friend, and My Chemical Romance. Not to mention the bands who were a huge influence on those aforementioned bands, like At the Drive-In and Refused. Queens of the Stone Age also started ruling my life around this time, and they're still a favorite band of mine.

Post-High School: Right after I graduated high school was when I discovered my love for late-'70s/early-'80s hardcore. Black Flag, Minor Threat, The Misfits, and Bad Brains still get a lot of listens from me today. Plus more modern punk bands like The Bronx and Gallows. This is also when I fell in love with a few of my all-time-favorite bands like Fugazi, Radiohead, The Beatles, Neutral Milk Hotel, and Faith No More. I had listened to them years before, but I wasn't really a super fan until this point.

Now: I've been making a concerted effort to expand my musical horizons for the last few years. Grimes, Lykke Li, Tom Waits, St. Vincent, Kylesa, Torche, Crystal Castles, Japandroids and The National have been some of my recent favorites. I'm not sure why, but I've been gravitating towards female vocalists a lot more lately.

This post was way longer than I intended it to be, haha.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

I can totally see what you mean! Recently, I started listening to jazz music, which is 100% new for me. Some of the songs I'm listening to at the moment are 15 min long, with no vocals, no guitars, almost no percussion, it's just about really calm and smooth songs. This made me think about how 90% of my music library consist of "noisy" songs, with tons of elements into them, while there's certainly so much good ambient music out there. So yeah, it gives me a new perspective on my music :)
    Wow, great tastes! :D Thrice and Deftones belongs to my all-time favorite, and Mastodon/Pantera/At The Drive In/Radiohead/Refused/Misfists are sick too.

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

Always appreciate a fellow Blue Stahli fan!

For me, the only band that I used to listen to religiously that's not even present on my iPod today is Three Days Grace. I just kind of grew out of liking them, I guess.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Stuff I like before:
    Weird Al (i used to be huge on him, even own three of his in physical form, and he's not bad but I can't listen to the songs anymore. Most parodys get old after time)
    Relient K (have their first 5 cds in physical form lol, don't really care for them anymore)
    All Skillet cds except Awake and Alive (have the two before Awake and Alive in physical form and don't care for any of their old work at all anymore. Awake and Alive is their best cd by far and is really good though)
    Senses Fall
    Kid Rock
    Danity Kane (what was I thinking..... I have welcome to the dollhouse in physical form)
    Jordin Sparks (have her first cd in physical form.... man idk what I was thinking)
    Craig Morgan (bought his, Jordan's cd and Danity Kane's cd all on the same day, I look back and wish that day never existed and could get about 40 50 dollars back.)
    P.o.D. (i recently got back into the songs Youth of the Nation and Goodbye For Now ft. Katy Perry but as a whole, not really a fan anymore. Own Tesity in physical form, don't care for it anymore).
    Toby Mac (only first three studio albums (not counting his two remix albums) in physical form, don't care for him anymore)
    Red (they are still talented but just don't listen to them anymore)
    Coolio (bump Gangsta's Paradise every once in a while but besides that song don't care anymore about him)
    The Presidents of the United Staes of America (i still like them, and Lump is a jam, and jam out to it on RB2 all the time, but I just haven't listened to them in years besides Lump and Peaches)
    Flyleaf (fell off after first album)
    Sevendust (last album sucked, just never in the mood to want to listen to them anymore as well)
    Drake Bell (own his 2nd cd in physical form, used to love his music, still like him as an actor though. Drake and Josh will forever be amazing)
    Daughtry
    Lifehouse (own one cd in physical form I believe? don't really care for them anymore)
    The Last Goodnight (they fell off the face of the earth)
    P!nk (I actually used to like her. She has some good songs but don't care about her and only hear her on the rare occasional I listen to radio for the most part)
    Sean Kingston (lol, surprised I used to like him lol)
    Timbaland (Shock Value is underrated or I used to think so at least)
    Good Charlotte (own two physical cds from them, only care about the song Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous nowadays. That song is so amazing, rest is eh)
    J. Holiday (I listened to Bed for the first time in like 4 or 5 years yesterday, sounds so bad now)
    Switchfoot (they keep getting better with every album nowadays but I still don't really listen to them since I grew out of them)
    Breaking Benjamin (besides Diary of Jane I haven't listened to them since they Broke Up)
    Eyes Set to Kill (all the member changes and weird album releases just made me lose interest)
    Shop Boyz (Fell of the face of the earth, one hit wonder)
    Family Force 5 (they just appear weird to me now)
    The Academy Is...(just grew out of them)
    Every american Idol star except Adam Lambert, Danny Gokey, and James Durbin
    Aiden (Knives was one of my jam cds in Junior High, could care less about them now and their crappy lyrics nowadays)
    As I Lay Dying (fell off after an Ocean Between Us)
    Impending Doom (lost interest)
    Jay Sean
    Corbin blue (don't know why I was ever a fan lol)

Some artists I have always hated:
    Limp Bizkit
    Green Day
    Lil Wayne
    Slipknot
    Brittney Spears
    Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana

Some artists I have always liked and still like:
    Linkin Park
    30 Seconds to mars
    Three Days Grace
    3 Doors Down
    Tokio Hotel (first album only)
    Papa Roach
    Disturbed
    Baby Bash (mainly cyclone)
    Usher
    Nelly
    Eminem
    The Killers
    Muse
    Kanye West
    Staind
    Taylor Swift (besides her first album)
    Third Eye Blind
    Low level Flight
    Rise Against
    Sum 41
    Smile Empty Soul
    Puddle of Mudd
    OutKast
    The Offspring
    Nirvana
    No Doubt
    My Chemical Romance
    MGMT
    Metro Station
    MC Hammer
    Rick Astley
    Daft Punk
    basshunter
    Lupe Fiasco (F&L2 saved him after Lasers)
    Lit
    Less Than Jake
    Lecrae
    Flame
    Lady Gaga
    Judas Priest
    Journey
    Motorhead
    Justin Timberlake
    Jem (mainly first album)
    Iron Maiden
    Incubus
    Hollywood Undead
    Fort Minor
    Blink-182
    Angels and Airwaves
    +44
    Box Car Racer
    Foo Fighters
    Death Cab for Cutie
    Rihanna
    Chris Brown
    Darius Rucker
    Kenny Chesney
    Jimmy Wayne
    The All American Rejects
    Plain White T's
    Avril Lavigne
    Attack Attack!
    Destroy the Runner
    Bring Me the Horizon
    Escape the Fate
    Blake Shelton
    Blessthefall
    Bullet For My Valentine (only first two albums tho)
    Chamillionaire
    Darude
    A Day to Remember
    Death Cab for Cutie
    Dr. Dre
    The Beatles
    Michael Jackson
    The Who
    Queens of the Stone Age
    The Lonely Island
    Seether
    Sonic Youth
    Interpool
    The White Stripes
    ZZ Top
    Yellowcard
    The Smashing Pumpkins
    Red Hot Chilli Peppers
    Chevelle
    of course that isn't all of them but there are some

Artists I became fans of after Junior High (HS and beyond and I'll try and limit artists that started after I came into HS: 2008)
    Silversun Pickups
    The National
    Sigur Ros
    The Fray
    Explosions in the Sky
    Oasis (lol that I became such a late fan on one of the greatest bands of all time)
    Alien Ant farm
    Akon
    Mac Miller
    Eyedea and Abilities
    B.o.B.
    Kendrick Lamar (wasn't hipster enough to know he existed back in 2008)
    Blue October
    Christinna Perri
    Augustana
    James Blunt
    PSY
    The Classic Crime
    Clipse
    Imagine Dragons
    Innerpartysystem
    J. Cole
    Kazzer
    Redlight King
    Make me Famous
    Picture Me Broken
    Matt and Kim
    Metric
    Minus the Bear
    Miss May I
    Mumford and Sons
    Owl City
    The Postal Service
    Rouge Wave
    Rodney Atkins
    Simple Plan
    Sleeping With Sirens
    Stone Sour
    Tenacious D
    Tyga
    Keith Urban
    Wiz Khalifa
    10 Years
    A Perfect Circle
    My Bloody Valentine
    NERD
    El-P
    Macklemore
    Reflection Eternal
    American Football
    Porcupine Tree
    Asking Alexandria

that is just some, plus if I added more that didn't start till adter Jr. High It would be a lot bigger.