What Is "Castle Of Glass" Trying To Say ?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by mlg556, Jun 19, 2012.

LPChris

LPChris LP Fan Since 8/2001

Necrophilia?

Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

Stay on topic please. You've posted three "trolling" posts in this thread already.

ernieball003

ernieball003 Well-Known Member

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

You should really concider using NSFW warnings. Something tells me my boss is not going to approve of a youtube video titled "I feel like a worm fucking a huge hook." Thanks for that.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Where the hell is this thread going?

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Your boss probably wouldn't approve of you being on a Linkin Park site in the middle of your workday, either.

Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

I don't think NSFW tags were needed there, tbh.

BACK ON TOPIC.

Dragondust

Dragondust Lingering distortion LPA VIP

maybe it's kind of a romantic song or possibly just trying to say thanks to someone they know in the military...actually I have a lot of ideas of where this song takes me but I won't ramble forever

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Actually, as long as my work is done, I can. The only time it is not okay is if it impedes my job. I can assure you that my priorities at work are straight.

I saw the title and immediately exited out of the window. Have no idea what the video was about.

*EDIT* I just watched the video and I feel like I overreacted a bit in my original post, sorry, Ernie.

ON TOPIC: I still think the song is about being an important person that can be easily overlooked by others in certain situations.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
    ernieball003

ernieball003 Well-Known Member

No prob.

Ironically, totally safe for work video:

[video=youtube;SKRma7PDW10]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10[/video]

A quote from Blazing Saddles that's safe for work. That is not something you see every day.

SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

I take it to be a subversive, revolutionary kinda song actually. "I'm only a crack in this castle of glass," which is to say that I'll spread and our numbers will grow and eventually we'll bring the whole thing down. "Hardly anything there for you to see" though - what, you think we're subversive? But I'm only a crack in this castle of glass; nothing to see here, really.

sarah

sarah New Member

I think the song is about how a kid has so many bad things happen to them and they are trying to hide what has happened to them and don't open up to anyone. Think of the castle of glass as the world and that you are a part of it. Well if something terrible happens to you you start forming a crack in that class and you try to hide your feelings (aka. the crack) and try to divert everyone's attention to something more important.

But that is what I think you can disagree or agree. The only reason I thought this was from watching the official video.

HybridT

HybridT Well-Known Member

Necropost

Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

I see the song more from a military veteran's perspective, the psychological battle that many face trying to cope with living a civilian life after experiencing some pretty bad stuff and trying to place yourself back in everyday life/society.

The video feels disconnected to that idea though, but seeing as the song was left open to different interpretations and the video was promoting Medal of Honor Warfighter I wouldn't read too much into it's accuracy of how the lyrics were originally meant to be portrayed.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    sarah

sarah New Member

That is well said. I am not that great at speaking my mind so when I typed all of that it doesn't fully say what I was really thinking. Even now it is hard for me to say what I am trying to say.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

It's definitely a song about trying to determine what your place is in some larger context, and that's obviously a broad frame for deeper interpretations.

Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

Personally, I always interpreted this song to be about finding redemption after losing a part of oneself. The song also points out how quick we can be to point out perceived faults in ourselves, rather than accepting our shortcomings and moving on with life. The end of the song has a sense of finality with self-acceptance, cracks and all, and the ability to continue living.

To me, the "cracks" represent the faults, failures, etc., and the "castle of glass" is our (very) delicate inner world, or frame of mind. I must admit that I never quite understood the military tie-in with the music video, though I did understand the context of the situation (a grieving family who lost a loved one).