Linkin Park Team Up With OpenLabs To Offer New "Stagelight" Software

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Dec 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

In a recent article posted on Wired.com, OpenLabs (creators of the Linkin Park MusicOS Dell Laptop) pulled the lid off of their brand new music software "StageLight" which revealed information about it's features, as well as what musicians can expect in the final product.

Developed in conjunction with Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park, StageLight is intended to be OpenLab's answer to Apple's long running mac only "Garage Band" software, eliminating some of the challenges of music creation, whilst giving new and experienced Windows PC musicians the the tools to get their music heard.

[thumb]http://www.lpassociation.com/upload/images/113012-212854_Drum-Sequencer-Lesson.jpg[/thumb]

“Whether you play a musical instrument today or not, whether you’ve used some of these tools in the past or not, we are the easy way to create music — specifically on a PC,” said Jeff McMahon, Open Labs’ vice president of business development and strategy, in a phone interview with Wired. “We’ve created a usable tool that teaches musicians and wannabe musicians essentially how to use a [digital audio workstation] interface,” said Open Labs product manager Matt Presley.

For those who have already had long running experience with FL Studio, Ableton Live, Maschine or Reason...Stagelight allows musicians to dive right into music creation, providing templates for popular genres as well as a "Fresh Start" mode for pros, which provides the opportunity to start from scratch. Designed with the help of Mike Shinoda, Stagelight is optimized for Windows 8's touchscreen interface but also works with a regular mouse and qwerty keyboard.

“If I’m brand new to this, I want something that’s intuitive,” Shinoda told Wired. “I want it to feel like a tablet. I want it to feel like something that, like, an 8-year-old could open it up and do it.”

“We’ll grab people who have a basic knowledge of GarageBand, and they pick it up right away,” said Presley. “More impressively, we’ll take new users — and they’ll take a little more time, because it’s so new to them they want to dig and explore the interface — but all of them are able to make a basic eight-bar to 16-bar song that they can loop over and over again within five to 10 minutes.”

All music created can be uploaded with one click to SoundCloud, and currently StageLight supports VSTs out of the box which means that in addition to StageLight's pre-existing samples and loops, musicians can pull from their favorite VSTs and load then within the software interface allowing countless possibilities for their music with no limits to track counts (except for what the user's CPU and RAM can handle).

The software is currently available now and is only $9.99 to purchase for the full version.

Read the full article here and download the demo/purchase the software here.

Source: Wired via Mike Shinoda's Twitter

jare0674

jare0674 There's a seat here along side me...

Hopefully this comes with Bruiser and all the samples from the LP laptops.

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

Can't wait to play around with this new software. Since I sold my Mac, I haven't been able to mess around and make little tracks. With this, maybe I could start trying my hand in the Monthly Remixes. And for $10, seems like a steal.

Derek

It doesn't, but I can't really say it needs it either because it already has amazing drum samples and synths preloaded. I've played with this for only an hour and I can already say it's one of my favorite low cost music apps out there. They just have to work on the CPU consumption (seems like a little bit of a resource hog right now) but it's quite the amazing piece of software.

RapidGunner

RapidGunner The Catalyst

Awesome! I may be replacing my preferred DAW (Fl Studio) with this one if it turns out to be as awesome as it looks.. ;) I prefer simplicity over everything else (well, except music!)

ToTheCitadel

ToTheCitadel Wisdom, Justice & Love

Been looking for something simple to use with Windows. (Although I also have Abelton Lite.)

Just bought it ... for 10 bucks, can't go wrong. Let's see...

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Nice. I'm also hoping we get Bruiser, but from what I get, that's not gonna happen...

Blackened

Blackened Blackened Symphony

Haha, nice! It's affordable!

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I'm about to try out the demo.

op4blushift

op4blushift Well-Known Member

Huh, looks interesting. Will try the demo for sure.

Filip

Eh, I'll try the demo too...

Derek

My opinion is that it's underpriced for all that it does.

Filip

I downloaded the demo version, and it won't work. Is this because of the crappy computer or...? What does the demo version even do?

EDIT: Nevermind, all works fine now. And it's great!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
    YoMarques

YoMarques Linkin Park Soldier. LPUer.

Cool :)

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

It's really cool. But LMMS is really cool too, and free. Albeit, LMMS has quite a steep learning curve.

Blackened

Blackened Blackened Symphony

I love it. :chuck:

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Can I record vox/guitar into a program like this?

Derek

Yes it has audio recording functions :).

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Brilliant. Buying.

Phobia

Phobia megoraphobia

idk, i've mixed feelings. it might because i'm one of those people who think fl studio is really not intuitive at all. i feel at home with reason, better yet, i feel like on the stage, so this software might be really good, but i'm not gonna change... so please mike, give us the sample pack for reason!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.