LPA Monthly Mix-Up November 2012: Castle Of Glass Free-For-All

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Nov 5, 2012.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Damn, that was awesome!

Something tells me that Mike (Shinoda) will notice this :)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
    Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

You sir, are my hero. Imho, best MMU remix to date, and that's saying a lot. Win this thing, 'kay?

EDIT: I'm gonna edit my entry. I don't know what I was thinking but I should've kept the track that plays before Departure on my remix album because even though it's not directly related to COG itself, it kinda puts the remix into perspective (the narrative). It'll be up in a sec.

m_macdonald

m_macdonald Well-Known Member

Thanks man! Glad you enjoyed the Victimized remix, I wanted to do something kind of catchy, so I'm delighted that it's stuck in your head, huge compliment!

If I thought Mike Shinoda would ever listen to even the first 30 seconds, I would pretty much wet myself :p Thanks!

Man, so much awesome feedback guys. Thanks for all your kind words, means a lot.
    The list of entries in Ree's post proves that this is another awesome month for MMU. IMO, every entry here for the past few months could outdo most of the entries on the Indaba remix contests. Proud to be part of the MMU community.

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Final version of my entry: http://soundcloud.com/d3cay/dawnanddeparture-lpammu

As some of you know, the remix album I made is supposed to be one giant narrative. Originally, I had a story in mind about a soldier on the battlefield (how he wanted to become a soldier right to the point he decides to leave the army). Although I kept that story in my mind when making the remix album, slowly but surely (for me at least), it became a very different narrative. Almost a collection of different stories that somehow could have a connection. One track could be the cause of another track or simple a 'what if' situation (what if he did that, what would've happened?).

The story basically turned out to be something that is up to the audience to interpret. You can take the story of 'the soldier' and look at it from a more symbolic point of view, turning it into a story about the struggle of living (which sometimes is a war for some people). Hence the album title 'Life'.

This part is made out of the tracks Dawn and Departure.

Dawn (which can also be read as Down) is basically the sound of peace that slowly turns into chaos. I'd imagine this would be the sound if someone is in shock. Whether it be because you're hurt, because you have to enter the battlefield as a soldier, w/e. Dawn is the sound of someone being in shock by something (or an almost-death experience, where you're following the light) and slowly regaining conscienceness, slowly regaining the sounds of your surroundings again (that's also why I called it Dawn, it's the transition from one thing to another, like transition from night to day). The voice at the end is shouting 'Soldier, hey soldier!'.

Departure is about what happens after the person regains conscienceness. The person is stating his thoughts on what's happening around him, as well as stating his feelings.

Basically, the story of these two tracks is entirely up to how you interpret it. Is it literally about a soldier on the battlefield. Is it about him being hit by a bullet and slowly standing up, only to continue fighting? Is it about a soldier jumping out of an airplane, stunned by the thought he's entering the battlefield? Or is the whole war theme something more symbolic?

I figured that the COG remix (being Departure) by itself didn't justify the meaning I wanted it to have. Adding Dawn to it gives it the context I want it to have.

I hope it still gets through and, more importantly, that you guys enjoy it!

Phobia

Phobia megoraphobia

dayum. DAYUM! DAY UM! this is awesome, purely great. it took me a while to really get into it, but now i just can't get enough!
    (and since i wasn't a forum member last month, let me tell you that your victimized remix has been my ringtone and alarm clock since you posted it, it's just addictive!)

m_macdonald

m_macdonald Well-Known Member

Wow! Thanks so much! It's your RINGTONE? THAT'S AWESOME!! I like the idea that everyday you wake up and just start bobbing your head to hip hop :p Thanks, that means a lot!

Phobia

Phobia megoraphobia

indeed it's awesome! that catchy melody you got goin' on those rap parts, damn! i thought no one could ever pull that off!

Anne

Anne married to the ocean LPA VIP

I love you. Instant ring- and wakeup-tone.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

That intro, Dawn, was really....intriguing, almost scary ahah It makes me think of a transition you'd have while you're dreaming, and then the whole thing turns into nightmare. Good job on this! And yes, the remix was cool too:)

MajiksMonster

MajiksMonster Producer/Musician

No worries. It's probably just me. I'm super picky. I still like it, regardless of my silly brain.

raptors661

raptors661 Active Member

Seriously, this is great! Why isn't stuff like this being released instead of the house remixes we been getting monthly from the band?!

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Thank you, I really appreciate your kind words!

I'm happy that you felt the tranistion from something relaxing to something almost scary during Dawn, because it's supposed to set the tone for what comes after it. So yeah, thank you for the feedback, glad you enjoyed it!

Phobia

Phobia megoraphobia

@Decay
    i really liked Dawn, it really sets a tone, it's abstract, it has a great soundscape, but to me that get's lost with departure, it just seems disconnected from the ambient you created before... the remix itself has potential, if you revised the drums, they just seem too "perky" to me i guess... but Dawn is really good! congrats

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Thank you, glad you enjoyed it!

Well, I understand your opinion actually but to me, it's logical that Departure is more energetic.

Given the story from Dawn, where you have a 'regain conscienceness' story, it's basically going from a unconscious state to an active state (f.e. being in shock, knowing you need to enter the battlefield -> lost in thoughts and then, after that, actually entering the battlefield -> active). So yeah, I can totally understand where you're coming from but I did it on purpose :lol:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
    CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Well-Known Member

Is this over? Who won??

Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

Yeah, it's over. Winners will be announced soon. :)

Pat

Pat LPA VIP LPA VIP

I am pretty sure Mike (m_macdonald) won
    but now the questions are who are the runner ups?
    I am pretty sure shurpB will be one!

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

That's if that entry isn't disqualified for lateness, anyway

Pat

Pat LPA VIP LPA VIP

Well, even if its late, i can hear that the remix needed a lot of work, so i would let him join, if i would be one of the judges

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

The remix was submitted one day before the deadline. He is fine.