Does a "unique" name affect a person's life?

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by RapidGunner, Dec 14, 2012.

RapidGunner

RapidGunner The Catalyst

So I was reading this nicely-written (and hilarious) article - http://www.cracked.com/article/195_7-things-good-parents-do-that-screw-up-kids-life/

According to the writer, one of the major things which screw up a kid's present and future life is a "unique" name. I really identified with it. Of course, my life is far away from "screwed up" right now, but there have been instances where I'd been pretty close to such a situation.

Thing is, in my country, the name I have is ridiculously unique, something which probably only a handful of people have in the whole one-billion-strong nation. And I'm not even kidding here. As a kid, I was often bullied due to the very same reason. Adding to that, it always made me nervous around strangers (and pretty girls, ESPECIALLY pretty girls) because it'd take them a huge amount of time to get my name. 9 times out of 10, I'd have to spell it out. It contributed in a major way to my shyness and my introvert nature (Of course that "introvert nature" led me to discover rock music and become a musician, but that's a story for another day).

So, did any of you guys (with "weird" names) have a similar experience, or do you guys think that I'm horribly wrong and one's name has nothing to do with how his life turns out?

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

I guess it depends of the personnality of the weirdly-named person. If he's shy by nature, the weird name won't help him probably, and it might cause people (especially kids) to bully him. Of course such events might reinforce the shyness. But if the person isn't particulary shy, weird name might not be a problem. I know some guys which have really strange and rare names and which are like "the cool guys to be with".

Then, it also depends of how strange the name is . If the name is an insul or something sexually-related, then it will probably be harder to carry on with on with that name.

Zak

Zak HEY, EVERYONE! GET IN HERE!

Here's an interesting video from Freakonomics regarding names and getting jobs
    [video=youtube_share;goGe0CbARDE]http://youtu.be/goGe0CbARDE[/video]

If you like this, then I suggest you watch the whole thing as they talk about loads of cool and interesting things.

RapidGunner

RapidGunner The Catalyst

Really cool video.. :) I remember watching it earlier. But my question here isn't about getting jobs. I'm talking about "personality".

Well, that reminds me, I missed something. While my name isn't an insult or something sexual, it is definitely, er... "girlish". Taken as a whole, my name refers to a particular flower found in heaven. Awkward, but fine enough. But the abbreviated, short version of my name (which most of my friends call me with) roughly translates to "Beautiful Lady Angel". :p I know, sounds like the plot of a B-grade sitcom. I SO wish I was making this up.

And yeah, your point about shy kids not taking it well makes sense.. I knew a girl with a really weird name back in school, but she was probably the most popular girl in campus..

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
    TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

I feel your pain, son... I had the similar problem. My name is pretty common where I'm from. But last couple of years I moved to a different country to study, and my name means something totally different here. It's pretty funny and totally not manly. I was being made fun of but I always stood up to myself and it made me a stronger person... And I had to pretend that it didn't affect me... and in time people got used to it, and now they don't even pay attention to it.
    So my advice is to stand up for yourself and you'll be alright. It sucks but what what are you gonna do? : )

HelenLP

HelenLP Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for that!

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Well most people call me Pidgeon but which, socially, made me somewhat famous. There were a few times where someone wouldwalk up to me and be like "hey, you're pidgeon." and I would have no idea who these people were. So my odd last/nickname worked quite well for me.

Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

I remember hearing about a girl whose name was Talula Does The Hula In Hawaii or something like that and she never told any of her friends what her real name was. I think she ended up going to court and the judge forced her parents to change her name.