"Real Musicians Have Day Jobs" - True?

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by RapidGunner, Jan 27, 2013.

RapidGunner

RapidGunner The Catalyst

I guess many of you must have seen this funny bumper sticker in any random band's van somewhere -

bumper.jpeg

To a musician who works hard to "make it big", this line may have sounded offensive. But if you look at it realistically, it's almost impossible to make a proper living out of making good music nowadays (unless you are a manufactured pop star). So, isn't it better to keep your musical pursuits as a beautiful side thing you enjoy doing, and concentrate first on getting a stable job to support yourself and your family? I know this may be a controversial opinion. And I'll probably see a lot of :facepalm: in the replies. But I seriously want to listen to your arguments.

What do you guys think?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
    Juliet

Juliet Well-Known Member

I think you're thinking of proper living a little too much as "rich". Most bands nowadays can afford an average or above average living, but that doesn't mean they're living in mansions and have diamond-studded swimming pools. I personally think this really is only true when bands for start out. The ones that are so focused on trying to get noticed, they have to sleep in vans and only eat Ramen noodles. Some start to get extra money the bigger tours they go on, and through things like endorsements. So really, I guess you can describe them as "working musicians."

Blackened

Blackened Blackened Symphony

If you think about it, being a musician kind of is a day job.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

I say false. If you create music, you are a musician. That's it. There's no set of qualifiers other than that. Justin Bieber is just as much a musician as the person who has that bumper sticker on his car.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

This. That bumper sticker is simply the stuff of cynics.

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

This. What the fuck else? You only make music at night time?

Vdalem

Vdalem Purrfect! LPA Super VIP

Good grief! I think so. There is a thing called part-time *shrugs*.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

1. Manufactured pop stars don't make good music.

2. What about bands like Linkin Park then? Are they not living properly? Or are they manufactured pop stars? Or do they not make good music?

deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

Yet you know they want to make it big and be like such and such band who aspires them.

Ironic.

Squish Mitten

Squish Mitten I'm a five-star general; infantry controller.

This. Well said :clap:

Also this.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
    RapidGunner

RapidGunner The Catalyst

I suck at proper word-phrasing, so I took particular care in making sure I used the word "almost" in my original sentence - "it's almost impossible.." :trollface: Yes, some rock bands do get filthy rich. But aren't they just the exception? What about the hundreds and thousands of garage bands and acoustic guitar-playing "songwriters" who waste their lives trying to get their moment (because of false, unrealistic hopes) but never get it?

Call me pessimistic, but I'm sure that about 95% of currently popular music artists ARE manufactured pop stars who keep churning out generic club/dance music.. To be a musician that's both good AND successful, the 5% true artists are forced to use gimmicks to make their way through...

So isn't it just better to let go of all that stress and concentrate on getting a real paying job first?

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

While the phrase is certainly not true in all cases, keep in mind, it IS kind of difficult to acquire gear and software, pay for lessons, go on tour, etc., without SOME kind of source of income...

Juliet

Juliet Well-Known Member

Some people don't care about the fame and fortune. It's not always about how you get to the end of the road, but all the things you experience along the way. Plus, not every singer or band that comes out is gonna make it famous, the industry would be too crowded (and some groups just AREN'T that good).
    Like I said earlier, plenty of groups are successful out there. They can pay the bills, afford nice things, live a healthy life, etc. But that doesn't mean they're filthy rich. Even people like Lady Gaga or Katy Perry had to work to get where they are now, even if you think they're just manufactured and generic. The thought that artists have to use gimmicks, in my opinion, is only because that's what most people expect. They whine about the industry, yet when something new comes along they just call it trash or unoriginal, etc.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

You took like th4 highest selling rock band nowadays as your example.

What about bands like Make Me Famous, Imagine Dragons, or even something like Innerpartysytem when they were together. Yes, bands do make a living and a lot are living proper because you don't need a big house to live prope but not all are, and not all of them have lots of money. You used the worst example

lime treacle

It was a good enough example to make a point.

Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Real musicians are actual people who play musical instruments. Iono wtf a job has to do with it

lime treacle

That also makes sense from that point of view.

Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

Sounds like something someone who can't make a living off of their music would say.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

I think Stevie Wonder was working at Denny's when he made Songs in the Key of Life.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I think the saying goes something like this:

........BAD........................................
    "REAL ^ MUSICIANS HAVE DAY JOBS"