Linkin Park at Nottingham Rock City 03/03/03 - 10 Year Anniversary of My First and Best LP Show

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Mar 3, 2013.

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

Monday, March 3rd 2003 was one of the best days of my life, and I don't say that lightly. It was the first time I saw Linkin Park play a live show at Rock City in Nottingham, England and to this day, after about 7-8 more, it still sticks in my mind as the best live show I've ever been to, Linkin Park and otherwise. It's hard to sum up the energy of that show in words and describe why it's my favourite show of all time, it wasn't the intimacy Nottingham Rock City provided with its holding capacity of less than 2000, it wasn't even that the band were playing Meteora material for the first time as part of the LPU Tour, this is my favourite LP show because the chemistry between the fans and Linkin Park was unmatched and it's impossible to get a sense of that through writing words or even listening to the shortened BBC Radio 1 recording of the show.

There are so many memorable factors to this show that span beyond the unique date of 03/03/03. I queued outside the venue for 8 hours to be the first guy at the barrier, front and centre. I looked like the biggest nerd ever with my glasses on and dodgy haircut but I felt proud and awesome to be rocking my Reanimation shirt, spending my time talking to other LP fans and resorting to I-Spy to pass the time. The wait became worth it as soon as Linkin Park stepped on the stage, the first time in over a year in the UK since their last show at the Docklands Arena in London, England on September 16th, 2001. It was brave of Linkin Park to start their set with songs nobody had even heard yet, but that didn't stop the crowd from immediately launching in to overdrive as soon as the opener Don't Stay kicked in; crowd surfers, head-banging and singing along to the chorus which fans picked up as the songs went on. The atmosphere was intense.

[​IMG]

What I recall most about the show is the band's genuine appreciation of the fans. It really felt like the crowd were connecting with the band like no other and lifting Chester out of the "shit hole" he was in that day, which he shared in a number of exchanges between the songs. The "KKKK" Kerrang! review of the show summed it up pretty nicely when they wrote:

When Emma Johnston wrote that review, she wasn't lying about the sweaty part. One memorable moment from this show was when Chester jumped over the barrier to sing with the fans... right on top of my head. So there I am, sandwiched between both of Chester's legs and a security guy who charges in to pull him back. This couldn't get any worse, right? What's that? Oh, the security guard is now pulling on Chester's jeans and exposing his sweaty ass crack that is rubbing all over the back of my head. Awesome!

The show definitely had its highlights but one of my favourites is right after the band play A Place for My Head and Mike addresses the crowd saying "Thank you, Nottingham, you have been a great crowd!", which is quickly followed by a "Fuck yeah!" from Chester. It's a small detail but that right there just summed up the whole show.

Because today is the tenth anniversary, I thought I'd share my memories of my first and best Linkin Park show, but I'd love to know yours too! Feel free to comment in the forums and share your memories, that would be awesome. In commemoration of today I'm going to tweet some images from this show that I have never shown anyone else, much like the one above of Chester grabbing my hand. I literally scanned a few in from my collection this morning, so I hope you like a few cool shots from my perspective. Check our Twitter throughout today to see them!

I've had the opportunity to see Linkin Park live many times; London, Birmingham, Manchester, Nottingham and even last year in the US after the LPU Summit in Camden, NJ. That show came pretty close to topping this one but I'm not sure if another Linkin Park show will ever be as special as 03/03/03, or if Linkin Park will ever best it in my mind, but I hope they keep trying to for as long as possible.

Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

That's insanely awesome man. I would've loved to see LP back in the Meteora days (unfortunately I was only 12 back in 2003).

My first LP show was in Sacramento, 2008. It was their Minutes To Midnight world tour. It was a great show, even if I was in some of the most far back seats the then-named Arco Arena had to offer. Just getting to see them was awesome.

Then, in 2011, I saw them in San Jose. That was one of the best nights of my life. I got there ridiculously early, grabbed the barricade rail when I got in, and made direct eye contact with Mike and Chester several times. I almost got to give Mike a high five during the In The End bridge also. There really is a cool connection they share with the fans. Like you said, I don't know if any show could ever top the one I went to in San Jose.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

[​IMG]

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Awesome read, Joe! The very first time I saw Linkin Park was at Ozzfest 2001. I didn't have a job at the time and thankfully my parents were able to let me go to the show. By no means was it the best Linkin Park show I went to, but I still had a blast from the lawn section. The problem at the time was that I went with a group of people who weren't really fond of Linkin Park's music. When we were anticipating Linkin Park to come out and play their set, I felt like I had to hide my excitement for them because I felt like I had to fit in. By the time A Place For My Head, the very first song they played, exploded through the speakers, though, I was singing right along. Loudly and proudly. It was a day that changed me as well because that left me wondering what a real Linkin Park concert was like. I vowed to myself to go to the next possible show that I could. I've been to just about every show they've played in my area since.

[youtube]vzcQYHgFRL8[/youtube]

Søuł

Søuł As rogue as they come

Great review. Wish I knew about LP back then, even though I was 4...

Liz

Liz ChainsawLiz LPA VIP

Awesome man! (SWEATY ASS :rofl:)
    I remember having the same feeling when I saw them in Stockholm 2011. Amazing!

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

I don't think I'll ever get to see them live :( They never come to Ireland

AaronJxD

AaronJxD Well-Known Member

Hopefully they'll come on their next European tour :D

LinkinParkForever275

LinkinParkForever275 Linkin Park is my religion!

Well its not my first show that is my favourite - it was my second. My first was in Hamburg in may 2007 when LP were in europe to promote minutes to midnight. The Second - my favourite - was in hannover in January 2008, LPs europe Run for the MTM world tour.
    It was the 16th of january and it was freezing cold outside! I had school this morning so i had to go afterwards. I met with my 2 best friends at the house of one of them. His grandpa drove us to hannover which ist like 1h by car. When we arrived it was slowly getting dark and it started to snow. Gladly our other friends waited the whole day and left us a place at the front row! We had to wait 4h until we were let in. We made it first row and when lp entered with the amazing what i've done intro, the crowd exploded. They played the perfect set for me. Including a place for my head, my december and many songs from meteora (my favourite Album ever).
    I rocked so hard that i nearly passed out but kept going!
    I was 17 back then and it was by far my best lp memorie. I saw them twice since then in 2010 and also had my first m&g then which was just perfect, but this winter day with my best friends seeing our favourite band was gold!

Good times!

I saw them 4 times totally until now - waiting for them to come back to germany

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

Great post, Joe, I can only imagine what it would be like seeing LP in such a small venue. The energy must have been crazy.

For me, my favorite LP concert was the second show that I went to and I couldn't have been more impressed with the whole experience. Between all the activities at the Summit, like meeting other LPA and LPU members, seeing the instruments, meeting the crew, going to the Hard Rock Cafe (for free), meeting the band, and ultimately, seeing a fantastic show, I might be bias towards this one in particular. Also, I one an individual picture with the band and the opportunity to see the first three songs in front of the pit. Still to this day, out of the dozens of pictures I took, I want to relive that feeling of hearing A Place For My Head start that concert off right.

View attachment 5930

View attachment 5931

View attachment 5932

View attachment 5933

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

While this wasn't my first LP show (that review is coming later today or early next week), here's a repost of one of my all time favorite Linkin Park moments:

While I'm a different person now (and quite a few pounds lighter, as shown in my avatar) this stands to me as one moment that truly made an impact with me. Although my favorite LP show will always be Camden 2007, and although I met the very awesome Joe Draper at 2012's Camden, NJ show...that first moment, when I not only got to meet the band for the first time, but they knew who I was? That hands down will always be huge for me. It gave me a renewed energy to run this site and really made me convinced that my labor of love for the last decade was worth it.

Rebel Traj

Rebel Traj Well-Known Member

What an amazing concert

sian

sian YNWA

I know what you meen I seen LP in 2001 aged 11 and on lpu tour both gigs where at manchester Apollo about same size venue you went to and the band and crowed had such a connection I've never felt since dont get me wrong band sound amazing still but there was this special vibe back then you had to be at them gigs to understand and I know what you meen them two gigs at manchester Apollo will stay with me as two of the best days of my life I may have been 11 and 13 at them gigs but boy did I love it some times I wish I could go back to them nights and live it all over again

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Despite being a fan since meteora I didn't see them until I went to the ATS tour show at the Pepsi center. Which was life affirming. Absolutely incredible. Topped of by the fact that the MFR guy told us we raised more money than any other volunteer group. Which was amazing to me considering we were like the 3rd to last stop. The guy told us to take a bunch of the left over stuff. Then the guy took us down into the pit. It was so cool.

MFR.jpg
    Lp_2011 1.jpg
    Lp_2011 2.jpg
    LP_2011 3.jpg

YoMarques

YoMarques Linkin Park Soldier. LPUer.

Awesome, Joe :)

Clever Name

Clever Name Well-Known Member

Amazing. I'm hoping they come back to Birmingham soon, so I can see them for the first time.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Yeah, I'd share my first LP show experience here too....

[​IMG]

hybridsoldier1989

hybridsoldier1989 strange things are afoot at the circle k

So cool, man! My first was also during the Meteora tour, about a year after the one you saw. 03/15/04. So awesome.

Lots of energy back in the day!

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Same with me, was gonna go in 2011 but the show was September 2nd or whatever, and I was already in college at Arizona by that point and out of Washington where the concert was held

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

There is truth in this post.