New Divide on ATS?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Brandon Torio, Apr 18, 2013.

Brandon Torio

Brandon Torio Well-Known Member

Anyone know, or think, that New Divide was originally intended to be on ATS? I know they were requested to do a new song for TF 2, but it's not inconceivable that they had some demos for ATS already done, New Divide already being one of them. The lyrics, and the electronic elements could easily fit into the album. Maybe they didn't wanna have any songs everyone had already heard for the new album?

Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

New Divide doesn't sound like it fits on ATS at all.

Star Scream

Star Scream Does A Machine Like You Ever Experience Fear

interesting point, i kind of think that it has elements between M2M and ATS i think they made that single anyway for tranformers 2 in specifically. if they did make new divide on ATS then their would be 2 transformers single on one album. which would be a bit weird. so good choice to not make new divide in an album :lol:

Shmoanator

Shmoanator Guest

I don't think so. They said in one of their BTS videos that they were asked to make a song for the new movie and they came up with a bunch of demos. When the demos were presentable, they met up and decided which one they liked best. The one they ended up picking was entitled "Megatron" and over time became "New Divide".

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

A lot of "pre album" songs sound nothing like the later songs; A.06 sounded like nothing from Meteora, QWERTY was nothing like what ended up being Minutes to Midnight, and New Divide sounded completely different from all of ATS.

I've never understood why they've done that. Maybe "burning off" ideas to see if they want to head in that direction, I don't know (aside from the obvious 'New Divide needed to sound like something from Transformers', of course). But I have always found it weird their habit of doing that.

jare0674

jare0674 There's a seat here along side me...

What I think happened was that Mike went into the future and took a song from the Living Things sessions for the movie.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

To me, "New Divide" is this neat bridge between the songs on "Midnight" and the stuff on "A Thousand Suns". It doesn't quite belong among the songs on either album but it's like a stepping stone between the two ... sound worlds, I guess.

Perhaps the direction that the band want to take on album isn't immediately clear. Those songs aren't necessarily B-sides like, say, "No Roads Left", but tracks that they realised early on would not fit the project. When they patch the tracks up for other projects, like they did with "Not Alone", they're then straying further away from that particular direction

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

Short answer to OP's question: No.

Unfortunately while looking for the original announcement about the song, I noticed that there are a bunch of pages missing from Shinoda's blog, including the one I thought would have been most helpful. I am, however, absolutely certain that the writing process for New Divide is completely divorced from the ATS sessions. I remember Mike saying so. This was the closest blog post I could find:

and completely unrelated, I think its time for me to go through the blog archives because I suddenly remember that his blog was way more interesting in the past.

Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

A.06 (2002), QWERTY (2006) and New Divide (2009) were all Bridging the gap type of songs in every album release.

For A Thousand Suns, it was delayed until 2010 due that the band was busy working New Divide for Transformers: Revenge of The Fallen. Its completely different from ATS sound.

However, at this point, the band is currently working the soundtrack for Joe's movie "The Mall" and its pretty similar pattern to the previous project, the "bridging the gap mentality" prior to the build up for the next LP record. I wonder how the band could able to manage if Bay will call them for TF4.?

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Hopefully they just hang up.

minuteforce

I wouldn't consider their working on that song to have been a major delay, though their subsequent involvement with the film's soundtrack probably did have an impact on their album timeline.

Yeah, this is a reasonable assumption but we won't know whether this is truly the case until we can look at it in hindsight. :) And, even then, it's still subjective.

I'm sure that, if they decide to take on such a task, they'd just go ahead and do it; there's no reason why they wouldn't "manage" ... unless they feel that being involved with four consecutive live-action "Transformers" films is overkill

In my personal opinion, it's high time another band got a shot at being "the 'Transformers' band".

Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

Yes, because if the band does have already on their sleeve for TF4 then that would be a okay.. Imagine how huge the impact to the band when people talking of Transformers, the very first thing that imprints to people's mind is Linkin Park. Then, if Bay wants for a change for the fourth installment then that would be great also because it would help the band to focus more in their musical creativity for their 6th album.

minuteforce

In this community, there isn't even a concensus on whether that's a good or bad thing. :)

I think the only "impact" that Linkin Park's involvement with "Transformers" has had is gaining them more fans thanks to "New Divide", which has been one of their most successful singles to date. Aside from that and the fact that it's obviously a lucrative relationship on the whole, I don't feel that the whole thing has done much for the band nor the franchise.

And I suppose that, between working on a new song (or songs), helping out with the score and, then, handling all the press after that, making music for a "Transformers" film probably would majorly affect the timing of working on a studio project of their own ... but that doesn't matter to me.

I think that choosing to be involved with a third "Transformers" sequel (and I don't hate any of the films that have been made so far) would be taking things a bit far, the same way that making a third "Transformers" sequel with Michael Bay directing would be taking things a bit far.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

The impact is that they become the "Transformers band" and everyone sees them as incredibly corporate.

Indiscriminately attaching your name and music to what is widely known as one of the worst movie franchises of the past decade is hardly a positive. I'm still upset they took one of the most beautiful, positive songs they've ever written (Iridescent) and turned it into a marketing piece for Transformers 3. Sucked all the soul right out of it as a single.

Seriously, I could go on about the Transformers thing for a while. Linkin Park was trying to mature their image from being the poster children for angry teenage boys by maturing their music, but then they turned right around and hitched their cart to the movie franchise marketed for those same teenage boys. Boo. Boo so hard.

minuteforce

^ Oh, yes - this, definitely.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

I agree with this and I think New Divide wasn't meant to be on A Thousand Suns.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Haha in that quote you posted, did the '01 Mike forget that Hybrid Theory was already released? :lol:

Suffered

Suffered All we need is faith

It's more like a LT-era song. Electronic elements with some MTM-stlye guitars and vocals.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Yes, Transformers made their image "worse" in a way.

However, I don't think band's image are that important, as long as the music is good.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

2 of the 3 Transformers songs are two of their most beloved hits, and they were hocking corporate crap way before those (albeit incredibly stupid) movies. Shoes, video games, Nissans, computers, etc so forth. Linkin Park have been whores for quite a while.