LPA Monthly Mix-Up April 2013: 90's Rock Mash-Ups

Discussion in 'News' started by Todd, Apr 3, 2013.

Giorgos [Blind View]

Giorgos [Blind View] blah

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Wow I like this, especially on the verses, but there are points were I feel timing is weird.. Great effort though!

UncertainSound

UncertainSound Well-Known Member

Is it just me or is there not too many entries so far for this month? I mean, I'm liking my chances but still, I look forward to the mixes people make for these :p

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Its a light month so far, but we are just over the half way point. I'm starting over for this month. My last idea fit lyrically but was way off in key. Hopefully I can make something fun with this next idea... :D

Reflectionist

Reflectionist Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

I like your chances, too! This LP vs RATM mix is amazing. Is that the one for this month?

UncertainSound

Yes it is, and thank you lol. Last month was LP vs. 30 Seconds to Mars (part 2) which got an honorable mention. I got a runner up before in November, 2011 with LP vs. Pendulum. Don't think I'm going to be making many mashups or remixes any time soon as I'm focusing on covers and original music right now along with other side projects, so this might be my last entry.

Giorgos [Blind View]

Giorgos [Blind View] blah

Thank you! I also found the timing of the verses somehow weird at first, but, if you listen to it more than one time, I think that you get used to it. I tried to change the timing several times, but the results were even more weird!:wacko:

DJKrievous

DJKrievous Member

thank u so much!i its my first entry to this forum! :)

greetings from mexico city!

Hybrid

Alright guys, here is my entry for this month. Enjoy "Closer To Rust." it is SKIN TO BONE Vs. Closer. That's right, NIN Vs. LP. For your convenience, it is available as a download if you would like it.

Closer To Rust

EDIT

I've since condensed the track down thus slightly changing my entry. The extended version, however, is still available on my Soundcloud page.

ensied

ensied Member

I have now done it! After, what, 21 days, it has been done. The 90's ROCK Mash-Up by ensied! It is here, on soundcloud and feel free to comment and all that jazz.

http://soundcloud.com/ensied297-1/ensied-90s-mix-lpassociation

Thank you to my one follower and keep listening for more crap emitting from my ten year old laptop!

roBot

roBot Well-Known Member

I understand why you shortened your entry but as a track (not as an entry for the mix-up) I like the extendend cut more :D
    it may be the hypnotic repetitive music of nin making it play along with skin to bone this nice...

Hybrid

My biggest concern with the extended cut is that there is a point in time in the song where the chorus is sung, but it doesn't really sound like a chorus is happening. It got really "hectic," if you will, towards the end/pre-outro. That's the nature of the song "Closer." Even Trent Reznor does not sing there. The part I edited out has a cool feeling to it, but, as far as an entry for the MMU, I didn't think that it held the listener's interest to those that aren't way into the song. I didn't want to bore the judges nor the listener. Since I like the feeling, I kept it as it's own version, still available for download as well. The condensed version to me is that perfect balance of how the track is and if someone liked it enough and wanted to hear the extended version, it is there for them as well. :) Thank you for your feed back! ^_^

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

I love how it sounds like a club remix of the song. Awesome job! ^_^

Pat

Pat LPA VIP LPA VIP

love the ambient drums of the track, fit in very good with skin to bone
    i dont know why but the chorus seems so... chaotic, which i really really really like!
    love it!
    good job

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

UncertainSound

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Well guys, another month, and another non-entry from me. :( I was going to do The Messenger vs. Glycerine by Bush - the two songs basically use identical chord progressions and they're not too far apart, key and tempo-wise (G major vs. F major, 125 BPM vs. 114 BPM or so), but no matter how hard I try, I simply cannot get them to sync up, even with both tracks quantized to the same tempo. I'm pretty sure Glycerine wasn't recorded to a click track, so the tempo constantly fluctuates and basically makes the song useless for a project like this. Short of completely re-recording at least one of the two songs myself (which completely defeats the purpose of a "mashup), it's just not gonna happen.

Reflectionist

Reflectionist Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Dang, man. I was really looking forward to it, too.
    You should record the guitar and still make it. Take your time with it. It sounds like an awesome idea.

UncertainSound

I had the exact same issue with my entry, I just constantly changed the tempo of the vocals until everything matched up. It was a pain to mix and took a long time but I think it was worth it because people seem to really like this one.

Hybrid

Thank you, Jeff! :D
    Thank you, Patrick! Closer is a very chaotic track and I felt like it matched the feeling in SKIN TO BONE. :)
    Despite some timing and volume issues, this is a solid first time entry. Keep working on remixes. The more exprience you have, the better you will get. :)
    That sucks, man! I was hoping to hear what you had for this month. I had to change ideas 4 times this month. First, I was thinking about doing something with Stabbing Westward, but nothing really worked well. Then, I had Seven Mary Three's "The Water's Edge" mashed with CASTLE OF GLASS. They were way off on key and didn't really pan out well. Next, I tried Blur's "Song 2" with Bleed It Out. Even though they were supposedly written in the same key, they sounded really weird together. I ditched that idea and went with the Nine Inch Nail's "Closer" and SKIN TO BONE effort. As far as your sruggles with Glycerine and The messenger goes, I kinda know how you feel... I've tried fitting square pegs into round holes before and I hated the outcome. *cough*LP Christmas remix*cough* Hopefully we will hear from you next month!