Got News?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Mark, May 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

2. Wizardofozil

Wizardofozil Well-Known Member

What About a uk show

3. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

4. Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

5. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  6. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

Chester appeared on "Out of Time" by the Stone Temple Pilots.

Full song here.

7. Abel

Abel Chester Bennington saved my life.

8. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

9. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

10. Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

Wouldn't necessarily say that. Anything can happen.

11. Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I think what minuteforce was getting at is that this is not anything newsworthy yet. It may be worth a retweet, but there is just not enough "whens" "hows" or "whats" answered to make a full blown front page news article on a two word reply tweet from Chester.

12. Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

This.

13. kelies

kelies Well-Known Member

https://twitter.com/theeagledallas/status/337353641944043520

Did anyone catch the Deleo brothers (from Stone Temple Pilots) interview on SixxSense giving details on their collaboration with Chester? I don't know if it's happened already or not since that tweet says it was supposed to be tonight. They didn't give a time, though...

edit: Nevermind. I just caught the end of the show. Nikki Sixx concluded, saying everyone is in agreement that the new STP with Chester "kicks ass". I suppose they'll have a recording of the interview available sometime later.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  14. Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

Brad will be video chatting exclusively with LPU members on Friday, May 31 at 1:00pm PDT. Login to the members-only chat room at http://lpunderground.com/chat.

15. Dekar

Dekar swimmingsmoke LPA VIP

[video=youtube;IidWEzGI29A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IidWEzGI29A[/video]

16. Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

17. Scott D

Scott D Well-Known Member

I don't have a scanner but there was an interview (word for word I hope unless I made mistakes) in a catalog I got from Guitar Center where they basically promote the shit out of a product, but at the same time talk about some of the stuff that goes into the live shows and recording (gear), most of it you guys probably already know but I thought I would post it here. If this is against any rules or anything feel free to delete it.

Here it is:
    Cover: Linkin Park Mike Shinoda and Chester Bennington Discuss Harman Gear and Utilizing Technology

Page 2 (Summary of the interview):
    On the heels of their 2012 release, LIVING THINGS, Chester Bennington and Mike Shinoda from Linkin Park talk about the band's creative process, gear and charity they've established to bring revolutionary technology to developing countries.

Pages 28 - 31 (Interview):
    From their very earliest beginnings, Linkin Park's members have been as involved in the technology of making music as in the creative process, as befits a band that was one of the pioneers in integrating hip-hop and rap elements into heavy rock. From the down-tuned guitar heaviness if millennial Hybrid Theory to the more-orchestrated but equally dense 2012 release LIVING THINGS, they've remained a moving target always pushing to grow creatively and find the next space from which to create.

As vocalist Chester Bennington reminisces about the band's beginnings, "We were fortunate enough to have guys in the band who were very tech savvy and kind of into collecting gear. We had our PA that we would take to shows and we would have our own mixing board" An enduring part of Linkin Park's set up through the years has been gear from the Harman Professional family of brands. "I remember the second microphone I ever bought was a D12 by AKG," says multi-instrumentalist/producer Mike Shinoda, "and we bought it because we were just starting to record drums. We had no experience doing anything other than playing together, and then we'd gotten some digital recording software and were starting to play around with that. Still, to this day, we basically use that same microphone in the studio, on stage. I mean it's not an expensive piece of gear, but it's nice to know, from a beginning musician point of view, that you can buy something that's just going to last forever at any level that you play."

The combination of limited resources and technical curiosity inevitably led to experimentation. "Since we only had like two microphones, at that point, I was using it on everything," says Shinoda. "It's really fun to be able to experiment with choosing that microphone on things, for example guitar, that you might not normally use it for- choosing different placements and stuff. I thought we got some really unique sounds. It's obviously great for bass and kick but using it on some other things- I know we used it on some guitars early on and it was [a] really interesting, really cool sound."

Bennington adds, "The D2 was always on the board, as well as Lexicon. We have used Lexicon to add effects live, for as long as I can remember. Every studio I've been in has them. Every live rig has them, and JBL speakers as well. They are in every single venue you can possibly imagine. So, for us, these have always been solid products, not only on a professional level but on an amateur level, too- and they're accessible. It's not like you have to be U2 or Linkin Park in order to have access to these pieces of equipment, especially with the mics and the Lexicon gear. They're relatively affordable for all levels and they perform, really well."

Another Harman brand, JBL, has become a major part of their live show, at the urging of their front-of-the-house, Grammy-nominated engineer Ken "Pooch" Van Druten, who (as the band freely admits) is much more than just a hired hand. "He's just awesome and not just as a mixer- he's a great dude. To give you an idea of our relationship with him, before every show he comes in- and this is something we asked him to do- he comes in like a coach would to a basketball team and gives us the pep talk and the marching orders; says these are the plays, this is what we're working on. For example he will come in and say, 'Okay, last night we had some trouble with this or this. Careful of those things tonight. You guys nailed it on all these things. Keep that up.' He'll tell us the venue sounds this way or the crowd is like this. Be prepared for that. Then he'll give us a quote of the day, some inspiring words. I'm serious. It's like we have a very tight family on the road. When Van Druten came to them after doing an iHeartRadio show and told them they had to start using JBL's VTX line arrays in their live shows the band was all ears. "I remember our sound guy telling us, 'We're switching to those speakers. Those sounded amazing.'" Shinoda recalls. "He doesn't usually that, because he wanted to be careful about if we have a preference; he doesn't want to step on it. But we respect his word." Bennington adds, "Everybody that I talked to after the show was commenting about how great the sound was in that venue. A lot of that has to do with the Line Array series in that they just distribute the sound so amazingly well. The low ends, the high ends, everything's so clean. It works indoors, outdoors. That's kind of also tricky, too, when you go from playing in an arena and then you go to play outside in an amphitheater. Sometimes you have to use different systems because some can't handle doing one or the other. The VTX series really handles both very well."

An unexpected advantage was the VTX's ability to keep onstage sound more balanced. "One of the great things that i does for me on stage," Bennington clarifies, "is it eliminates a lot of the low end noise that happens. We don't really have a lot of monitors blasting our vocal or the guitars or anything back at us- it's pretty quiet on stage. Most people probably don't understand that low end frequencies travel equally in all directions, where the other frequencies are kind of directed; they kinda go wherever they're pointed. So often, with out the system [the VTX], we cab get into situations where that really low end buzz that rattles the stage overpowers everything else, and makes it more difficult for me to hear notes or sing on key, which is kind of important."

Linkin Park's interest in keeping up with technology naturally extends into the studio, where they started doing 5.1 surround remixes of their recording pretty much from the beginning, with Lexicon's 960L and 480L. Bennington notes, "There have been some really stand out moments for me getting in the room and mixing in surround. One of them was doing our remix album of Hybrid Theory, which is called Reanimation. At the time we did a 5.1 mix of the album. Such an interesting experience mixing a record for 5.1. Clearly you have to use certain gear that works great in that environment. When it comes to the surround mix, those are two units we do lean on." Their interest in tech goes far beyond music, though. Following the Christmas Eve tsunami that swept South Asia, the band started Music for Relief, a charity that was initially aimed at getting relief to victims of natural disasters like tsunamis and hurricanes, like Hurricane Sandy, for which Music for Relief continues to raise funds. Over the years, though, their interest has expanded towards bringing essential life-saving technology to the less-developed world. One current effort is centered around the Solar Suitcase, a portable power unit designed to provide light and power to medical facilities in remote areas, and Soccket, as kinetic generator in the form of a soccer ball that turns kid's play time into power for lighting. "These items are really inexpensive," says Bennington. "They're very useful and they change people's lives. When you don't have to cut down all the trees and bushes in an area around a village because these solar-powered light bulbs are providing light, when these natural disasters hit, that one small effect is going to make a huge difference in the ability for these people make it through these types of disasters."

As for what's on the horizon musically, Shinoda and Bennington say that they're committed to turning out records more frequently and continuing advance the sound of the band, an ongoing project. "We kinda never stop the creative process," Bennington says. "In one way or another, there's always somebody in the band writing. I think Mike even writes music in his sleep. But yes, we've begun that process. We want to stick to our plan of turning out records faster than we used to in the past, so we're going to be spending a lot of time this year focusing on recording new music." Judging from the evolution of the band over the past few years, that new music is sure to be worth the wait.

Sources: Guitar Center's "At: Guitar Center" Catalog

18. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I don't think I've ever read any quote from Chester that references "Reanimation". :rolleyes:

I think that we used to have a thread here where you could post miscellaneous stuff like this that isn't newsworthy but still cool ...

19. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Adam Ruehmer officially made this statement a few days ago:

Here is the link to his tumblr post: http://heydudeimadam.tumblr.com/post/51761579695/a-new-adventure-awaits

20. Scott D

Scott D Well-Known Member

Ah yeah that's why I was hesitant to post it lol. Didn't know where else to put it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.