Thirty Seconds To Mars

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Omar Ali, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

This aint twitter

2. Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Now that I am completely stress free I am now able to listen to the album a bit further.

End of all Days isn't really impressive to my ears and actually, I had pointed out on my 1st-listen ratings that I didn't fancy Jared's growl-ish tone on it, but not entirely bad.

I hadn't listened to Convergence, but now that I did, it's pretty boring. Overall not a bad album and it's something I can listen to and with probable potencial to grow on me. I see many people talking about "A Beautiful Lie" quite a lot and how this album isn't up to that body of work. Probably I should check on that one too.

3. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

"A Beautiful Lie" doesn't show off the band's electronic leanings as well as their newer music does. It's more song-based and very rooted in alternative rock. To various degrees, I like every song on it except for "From Yesterday" and "The Kill".

If you listen to that album and you like it, there's a B-side from that era called "The Battle Of One" that I recommend you check out, one of my top-favourite 30STM songs. :)

If you spend a lot of time with the band's newer output, though, I think that, later, you might find their self-titled debut album quite difficult to swallow ;D

4. RazorEye

RazorEye The light on the horizon...

#contradiction

:trollface:

5. Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

THIS. One of my favourite songs ever, period. Great treadmill song.

Ok that was pretty good. :lol:

But seriously, guys.

6. RazorEye

RazorEye The light on the horizon...

What do you guys think are going to be the singles from this album? My thoughts are that "Conquistador", "City of Angels", "The Race", "Bright Lights" and "Do or Die" are the tracks that could be singles off this album. The other songs don't seem like songs you would put on the radio, especially the second side of the album.

7. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

This, x2

Also, this new record isn't really that bad. It growns on you.

8. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

This.

Such a good song. But I love than whole album, including the bonus tracks. I like every song on it, its a really well put together album and I dont think they will ever top it

9. Andreina

WOW. Now I have to listen to that song :lol:

10. minuteforce

Just remember, it's best heard after the album. ;D I say this mainly because the copy of the album which I purchased six or seven years ago featured it as a bonus track tacked onto the end of the tracklist and I think it works well there.

11. Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

"I will save you from yourself"
    "Say your prayers" <-- as a /chorus/ no less
    "I am the best she claimed and more"
    "This is a fight for our love, lust, hate desire, we are the children of a great empire"
    "I will wrap my hands around your neck with love, love"
    "Lost in a City of Angels"
    "You saved my life with blood and through sacrifice"
    "Hearts are made for breaking and pain"
    "I'm tired of waiting for the end of all days"
    "All you need is faith, faith is all you need" <-- Another chorus.
    "The prophets are preaching, The gods are needing praise"
    "Time to live, time to love"
    "I don't wanna live(leave?) a life, but I believe, time to do or die"
    "I cannot wait to dance upon your grave, they don't even have a soul left to save"
    "You would eat your young"

I'm sure I could find more.

The lyrics on this album are way too pretentious and preachy for my liking. Would like it so much more if an instrumental version were released, because the instrumentals on this are actually nice. I particularly enjoy Birth because of it's cinematic scope and trailer-music-ey feel.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  12. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

Despite having a preachy as fuck chorus, End Of All Days is pretty awesome ...

13. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Agreed. I love the melody of the song!

In fact, I think that Bright Lights + Do or Die are the only songs from the record I can't stand. Especially the second one. Basically all songs on the album are playing the "epic-card", but I feel like those 2 songs are reaching the point where it is too much. And those gang vocals in Do Or Die...it was not necessary, really :/

14. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

I agree with everything. The lyrics... :lol:

What makes you dislike them? They're some of the best songs on the album in my opinion.

Also I am dumbfounded by some of your comparisons of LOVE LUST FAITH + DREAMS to This Is War.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  15. minuteforce

I feel that "The Kill" is closer to a MCR-esque generic alt-rock song on an album full of 30STM music. But, on the other hand, I don't mind "ATTACK" (the song which made me want to buy the album) while you could really say the same of that song :shrug:

The main reason I dislike "From Yesterday" is for its music video. The band's long-form videos are one of the several reasons why I'm not the big 30STM fan I once was. The only one I could even begin to like was, ironically, the one made for "The Kill". "From Yesterday"'s video aside, I also just can't emotionally connect to the song at all so I guess it's nothing more than a personal thing.

16. esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

Looking at the full lyrics to End Of All Days I think they seem deeply sinister. To me, it seems to be about using faith to brainwash everyone into running gleefully towards the apocalypse. Burning temples, a maniac messiah, destruction framed as love... I can't walk away from that thinking Jared is telling us to all just have faith. The main chorus is introduced by the line "The serpents are singing a song that's meant to say...". Serpents, especially Biblically, are not a symbol of endorsement.

17. Sempiternal

Sempiternal Keep your hopes up high and your heads down low

The only music video I can stand by 30STM is Hurricane it's not that bad

18. Andreina

Um. Seems like listening to 30 Seconds to Mars from front to back wasn't a great idea. I listened to A Beautiful Lie and it most certainly didn't "wow me" like, at all. Gotta replay it a few times. Maybe their evolution isn't too "retrospective friendly", especially for someone who's grown into the new electronic-influenced rock and Industrial.

To cite an example, I started listening to Disturbed from Ten Thousand Fists and I went back to Believe and to The Sickness, and it coped well because the difference in style was pretty much zero.

19. minuteforce

Well, that was certainly a possibility. :* The band's artistic direction has changed a lot since "A Beautiful Lie"'s release.

20. snailharvest

snailharvest nice

No, that shit disturbed me.