Xbox One

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Delicious Dave, May 21, 2013.

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

The new Xbox has been announced

UPDATE:Microsoft has reversed all DRM policies for Xbox One. No more 24 hour check ins. Used games work just the way they do now. Microsoft has won back alot of customers. But so far, I'm still leaning towards PS4
    [​IMG]

What do you think? I'm disappointed as fuck. Looks terrible. I've been a 360 guy since the start of this gen and now I want to switch to Sony

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
    Wizardofozil

Wizardofozil Well-Known Member

FIFA 14 look amazing

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Yeah. No used games without paying a fee. Mandatory Kinect. Online Activation required. Mandatory HDD installs. No thanks.

MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

I will be in line on Day ONE for Xbox ONE. All the stuff Jesse used as reasons to not buy the new Xbox are reasons I will not hesitate to buy it. I don't buy used games, I'm thrilled I no longer need my discs (changing between games sucked), I'm nearly always connected to the internet anyway, and I don't like that people borrow games from their friends and play the full thing without buying it themselves so I really like the pay-a-fee system if you buy a used/borrowed game.

Instant switching and now being able to turn the Xbox on with voice-recognition is awesome. The new controller is also sexy as fuck - I love that we'll get the feel of a wired controller but in a wireless one, not to mention it's super sleek and those sticks look like they have great grip.

The console itself is clean, simple, but a mad powerhouse internally. I'm liking the new dashboard look, too, and multi-tasking is more than welcomed.

All in all, I'm ready to dish out $500 for this bad boy, and extra for Kinect 2.0 if I have to.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
    Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Mandatory Kinect bothers me the most, but anyone with any sense saw that coming from a mile away. Can't say that anything Sony or Microsoft has shown at this point has truly excited me, however. I'll wait a few years for the inevitable price drops and better game libraries.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

The specs look pretty much the same as the PS4. Both are still way inferior to PC gaming, though.

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

More of an entertainment device than a console now, it's called a PC. LIVE still exists ... and thus it was the PS4 (at this stage).

RazorEye

RazorEye The light on the horizon...

The Xbox One doesn't stand out THAT much to me, and i'm a pretty big Microsoft fan myself. I think i'm going to hold out until the 360 is discontinued, or at least until they stop publishing Call of Duty and Halo games for the 360. Then I might consider getting an Xbox One. Although the PS4 is too good to pass up immediately!

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Console looks like a clunky old VCR, the buttons and analog sticks are too close together on the controller (hand cramps anyone?), the requirement to have Kinect is lame, and the fact that you have to pay a fee to play used games is a joke. Definitely won't be buying this one.

Wizardofozil

Wizardofozil Well-Known Member

I never buy used game anyway

RazorEye

:ditto:

Delicious Dave

Mandatory Kinect worries me. I'm not a living room guy. I play my Xbox in my tiny ass bedroom with barely enough space to walk. Kinect won't work in here. Unless only the voice commands are mandatory

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I think people are blowing this Kinect thing out of proportion.

Firstly, Wired reported that they have completely upgraded it so that it will work in smaller enclosures.

Secondly, it's not like it's doing a retina scan or body scan for you to access the console. I'm confident you will be able to do anything you want with the controller. Kinect just provides added value from an ease-of-use standpoint. If you don't want to use voice activation to switch between apps, you can use the controller/your television's remote control to do that.

The only drawback I can think of is from a clutter standpoint.

As for the used game thing:

Delicious Dave

Always on Kinect camera spying on us is the beginning of Skynet. The cloud is Skynet and it will destroy the world :kappa: EA's Ignite engine and it's ''human like intelligence'' is the beginning of the rise of the machines. We are fucked

sotrix

sotrix @lplive

All of that is exactly what I'm thinking too.

I'm going to use it as a media/entertainment device first and foremost with games as an added bonus for those days when I actually have time to play. I'll gladly go with Microsoft for the third generation in a row. So far they haven't given me a single reason for why I should abandon them.

"Hardcore gamers" who want more traditional consoles and see any added functionality as detrimental are out of touch. Nobody's taking away their master race computers so why hate on a what appears to be a great product.

RazorEye

Doesn't anyone feel a little nostalgic from seeing pictures of the Xbox One? Reminds me so much of the original Xbox, especially the controller! I mean, is it me, or does the shape and model of the controller look exactly identical to the one of the original Xbox?

Dusty

Dusty LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

So far, I like most of what I've heard. I'll wait until E3 to make my final choice.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I like what I'm seeing, but I'm going to need to upgrade my TV first I think...

Delicious Dave

Good PC's are expensive as fuck. All of these entertainment options have to be paid for on top of the payment for Xbox Live gold. It's stupid. Microsoft are out of touch. Not us. They actually think watching TV is challenging. They want developers to use the cloud to power parts of their games which means no internet = No game.

Also, what's the point of connecting all of our devices. I've used Smartglass and it was alot slower than using the controller. Alot of it's features are gimmicky too. Sorry for being a downer but Microsoft has lost it's way. The 360 is a great console. I love it. But this..... E3 will be the deciding point for me. Maybe it can be good but for now

sotrix

sotrix @lplive

What's stupid about paying for entertainment options? What's Microsoft doing that's out of touch from what the mainstream consumer expects? The reveal and subsequent press releases made no mention of watching TV as challenging. Microsoft focused on ways to make finding new shows or keeping track of your favorites easier. I'm a cord cutter so I won't be using TV features but for a normal family living room it'll sure serve a purpose. More cloud resources for developers means better games. Smartglass is meant to be an interactive supplement to your experience. I've never read anything suggesting it's meant to replace controllers for game play. Your only valid point was the potential of games not working without an internet connection, which doesn't affect me personally but I totally understand. The fact that I have to make this post just highlight how hard Microsoft PR is failing right now.