Thirty Seconds To Mars

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Omar Ali, Jul 20, 2012.

1. RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

I didn't like either of the albums at all on my first few listens. After giving the albums a few more plays I really started to enjoy them a lot.

And for anyone who hasn't seen it...
    [video=youtube;LJ8uspgf7vs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ8uspgf7vs[/video]

2. Sempiternal

Sempiternal Keep your hopes up high and your heads down low

Not to mention Attack & The Kill. Those three aren't so bad, I don't see what Hurricane's video makes you so disturbed :lol:

3. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

So it's more obvious now that Jared rhymed "yourself" with "yourself" and "Hell" with "Hell" and that's the entire stanza. :rolleyes:

I personally don't feel that the "Hurricane" video fits with the song at all. Maybe it would've worked better with "Night Of The Hunter"

4. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

How the fuck? Do Or Die's second verse is catchy as fuck. Haha.

5. Dekar

Dekar swimmingsmoke LPA VIP

The female voice saying "LOVE", "LUST", "FAITH", "DREAMS" through the record is completely senseless. It doesn't even introduce the theme of the next songs, as you can see at the tracklist with the dots. Also, I don't feel City of Angels, Bright Lights and Do or Die. They sound too polished to me. The lyrics are too corny to me and there is too much fan involvement. It's my least favorite album by them right now, but still solid.

6. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

I haven't listened to this album since I first listened to it.

7. Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Wow. 30STM REALLY has a 999,99$ bundle of LLF+D?

And I thought 100$ MTM and ATS were already out of reach for a large % of the LP fanbase (including myself). Who the hell can afford 999$ on an album bundle?

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  8. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

^They really have the guts to put such a price on such a bad record.

9. esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

I always found that their selftitled and ABL were good albums, but rather generic. They didn't add a lot to their genres, but did those genres well. TIW really jumped out to me as a more artistic release when it came out. Even though every song was not a winner on it, I felt like the good songs propelled them further forward and that the album was more interesting. Similar to Linkin Park's A Thousand Suns. So I could see how looking backwards the older stuff may not seem too interesting.

10. minuteforce

After so many years, I look back on "30 Seconds To Mars" now and I find that it's pretty rough around the edges. It is a concept album, I know, but the lyrics throughout the songs kind of blur together a bit too much. A friend of mine once described it as being "like Jared wrote one song and based all of the other songs on it". Sonically, all the songs seem to explore the same vibe so that also adds to the distinct lack of variety on the album.

Regardless of all of that, though, "Echelon" will always be my favourite 30STM song.

11. esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

Buddha For Mary always jumped out to me as one of their best, but I think Hurricane is right up there too.

12. Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I'm a huge "Mission" fan. And I'll always love "Capricorn (A Brand New Name)" for getting me into them. Great video too.

13. Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

The debut album will always be their best I reckon. Followed closely by ABL.

14. minuteforce

I've really got to listen to it all again. It's all kind of flooding back now. :)

I remember not liking "A Beautiful Lie" for a little while because I thought of it as a "sellout album" coming after the first release (and, to some extent, I do still think of "The Kill" that way) but, now, I quite like how they opted for a different sound rather than repeating themselves.

The first album, I've always liked, but I guess my opinion on how good the songs are has been in flux for some time now. I don't know. I definitely don't regard it as being perfect like I did only a few years ago

15. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Their first record is definitely my favorite of them. There's a mysterious vibe throughout the album which I really like.

Oblivion, Capricorn, The Mission, 93 Millions Miles,... so many great tracks :awesome:

16. Cure4thItch

Cure4thItch BEST IN THE WORLD

WORST ALBUM EVER.

Seriously, how do you go from an ambitious album like 'This Is War' to 'One man and his laptopfest' like whatever the hell this album is called?

RIDDLE ME THAT, CAPED CRUSADERS!

17. minuteforce

They still sound like a band to me on the two or three new songs I heard.

18. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Oblivion stands out for me for that album. I love the guitar part. But my overall favorite Thirty Seconds to Mars song is A Modern Myth.

Captain-EO likes this.
  19. Cure4thItch

Cure4thItch BEST IN THE WORLD

Eh. There are moments of instrumentation between the overwhelming amounts of uninspiring synthetic layering.

20. minuteforce

(Source)