If Chester joined Velvet Revolver instead of STP...

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by kelies, May 27, 2013.

kelies

kelies Well-Known Member

This was an interesting post on tumblr:

Of course, this is a what if situation since he may or may have not turned down the offer. We will never though, but he would be in a better situation now without all these lawsuits and angry STP fans. I even think joining Velvet Revolver would've made him bigger than with STP.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I'm inclined to agree but the actual problem was that Pilots were without a singer and, so, they asked Chester to fill that position. Chester didn't choose between STP and VR.

I'm sure that the author of the post knows that, though.

kelies

kelies Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm just wondering what made Chester change his mind about joining a band that he knows would bother Scott since he was quoted not wanting to join VR for that very reason.

Just a "what if" thread. I like the new STP song, but it reminds me more of VR.

Abel

Abel Chester Bennington saved my life.

Well, I'm not really going to go into the legal stuff. Instead I'll say this: I would love "Slither" so much more than I already do if Chester ever sang it with them.

Reflectionist

Reflectionist Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Huh. I thought Velvet Revolver was an emo band. Shit, I don't pay enough attention to music these days.

minuteforce

Well, this thread is obviously going nowhere now so let's all discuss how Reflectionist thought Velvet Revolver were an "emo" band instead. :*

jare0674

jare0674 There's a seat here along side me...

He better just join them now too. Same with becoming the perminant singer for Camp Freddy.

Seriously though I would love to hear at least one song by Slash with Chester on vocals. I can't beleives he didn't get a spot on his debut album but Adam Levine did.

kelies

kelies Well-Known Member

He said the timing didn't work out. Same with the timing on Travis Barker's solo album. I would've loved to hear Chester on either of those instead of random artists like Young Buck.

minuteforce

What makes Young Buck so random? ;P

kelies

kelies Well-Known Member

He's a no name artist that I only know is affiliated with 50 Cent. And the only thing LP has affiliated with 50 Cent is that Fort Minor opened up for them overseas. lol.

Chester is friends with both Slash and Travis, so it pains me that he wasn't in either solo albums. But then again, they weren't really huge porjects anyway. A huge project would've been Velvet Revolver, and it would've been less controversial than his dilemma with Stone Temple Pilots.

Man, Chester. What have you gotten yourself into.

minuteforce

I may be wrong but I think that, at the time, he was far from a "no name" artist.

I agree, that whole collaboration was just odd. But "random" just doesn't seem like the right way to describe it

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

The thing is, Chester almost DID replace Scott in Velvet Revolver a couple years back. There were some pretty substantial rumors going around that he was going to because of his involvement with Slash/Matt/Duff through Camp Freddy, but he ended up denying it and basically chalking it up to being too busy with LP at the time. That's probably what ultimately led to this whole deal with STP, his name was already out there as someone potentially able to sing like Scott Weiland. The timing works out better for him now with LP touring on a much more sporadic basis and being able to work on new music while out on the road. I think Slash has pretty much pulled the plug on Velvet Revolver now though, given how big his solo project with Myles Kennedy has become.

Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I just think Chester didn't wanna be in Velvet Revolver because Velvet Revolver was the most stillborn excuse for a supergroup since Audioslave.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Ehh...Audioslave's first album is easily one of the best albums of the 2000-2010 decade, and I find it questionable at best whether Linkin Park's ever written a song as good as Slither.

Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Speaking as someone who adores RATM and generally likes Soundgarden, that entire project was as milquetoast as radio rock gets, especially considering the talent. But to each his own.