The Nine Inch Nails thread

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Brandon, May 28, 2013.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

http://pitchfork.com/news/49730-nin...m-finished-out-this-year-on-columbia-records/

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Holy fucking fuck!

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Sweet :D

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

He sounds really excited. The music should be phenomenal. I still don't get the decision to team up with a label after all his bad-mouthing and financial success going solo.

Mark

He already addressed this in a Reddit AMA I believe. The gist of it was that the amount of effort that goes into manufacturing, distribution and marketing of music is best left to professionals.

Obviously he has an agreement with Columbia over creative control, though. Trent would never allow himself to be boxed in again.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I was just going to post this. Exciting news!

travz21

He had no marketing for Ghosts and made a fortune. Obviously the contract must be vastly different than most or else I don't see the sense of it from a monetary perspective.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Wow, that's awesome!

It's been a fucking while since he released new stuff with NIN. Very excited to hear this!

Mark

Ghosts wasn't really something that needed marketing. It wasn't something that was going to be played on the radio or a big seller. The majority of people who were going to buy it were hardcore NIN fans, which is why the digital release route was more worthwhile.

Obviously he feels it's worth it for someone else to handle the manufacturing, distribution and marketing for him. He wouldn't saddle up with them if he didn't.

jare0674

jare0674 There's a seat here along side me...

I'm sure the music is going to be great but I personally can't stand Reznor's singing so I'm not overly excited for this.

travz21

That's what turned me off from his music for a long time. I didn't start listening to him until I was out of high school about 7 years ago. Eventually my tastes changed and I realized a talented vocalist is extremely common and the instrumental is what makes the artist really stand out. And how well the instrumental meshes with the vocals (if there are any). Vocal ability lost most of its importance to me. Reznor is a genius musician and a well below average professional vocalist, but his ungodly insane instrumentals go incredibly well with his voice and he emotes better than mostly anyone I've heard. This creates something astounding to me that is much more special than a great vocalist with a run-of-the-mill band.

Edit: Putting emotion into instrumentals is becoming a lost art the bigger this generation of Pop music becomes. Pop people want catchy lyrics or vocal melodies they can get stuck in their head. They hardly notice or care about the rest of the band.

Maynard James Keenan and Tool/APC give me a similar feeling that Trent does with his music. Even though Maynard is one of the best vocalists ever, it's their haunting and devastating instrumentals that draw me in. Maynard's emoting with his voice is much more important to me than his skill level which is just an added benefit.

TL;DR - vocal ability is overrated. Trent is god.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
    Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

I agree with most of your post, except for the "pop" part. Even a catchy pop instrumental can be full of emotions, as long as it is well executed. At least I think so. I was just listening to a french hip hop song which isn't really anything but a modern gangsta rap beat repeated over and over again with some MC mceein over. But I can guarantee you can feel the passion through it, it really makes me feel something.

But anyway yes, I think the most important is not the vocal ability but how well the vocals match the instrumental. And in that regard NIN stands out at the top of the game to me.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

How much "emotion" a beat packs is entirely subjective. Nine Inch Nails' body of work is largely pop music, even if you don't call yourself a "pop" person.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Fucking YES

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

If they play here and I have enough time and ca$h to go, we are so moshing together

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Awesome news!

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

He made a fortune with the help of the 2,500 ultra limited edition packages that were over $300 (around $750k). Without that, it'd just be another instrumental album that did "okay". At this point in the game, I have complete faith in Trent. If he wants to sign to a major label, so be it. He's a smart guy, and like Mark said, he's not going to let himself be boxed in again like he was with TVT and to a lesser extent, Interscope.

travz21

I thought I read Ghosts raked in $3 million for Trent in the first couple weeks. I may or may not be remembering that right, though.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

He had a number of different priced "_____ editions" of the album, plus the pay what you want method he used with Saul Williams, and Radiohead popularized. The $300 edition was just the highest priced, super limited edition. I think there was like 4 different physical copies of the album, plus the digital version. He probably did make around that figure all together, but that was with a number of different versions of the album. It's not like he released one standard album by himself and instantly made $3 million.