Kanye West - Yeezus

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by RazorEye, May 19, 2013.

1. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

How stressful would it be to be having a child on the week of an album release? :lol:

2. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

i'm not feelin this album off of the first 2 spins. lot of the songs seem extremely rushed and sloppily put together.

i get what he was going for with the whole fuzz'd out in-your-face synths and tribal beats... it could've worked well if he had taken a bit more time with it. the album is riddled with rough edges.

lyrically he hasn't done anything worthwhile post-808. it's more of the silly fashion house name drops (wtf is that... seriously!) and talking about fucking chicks. whole lotta unnecessary talk filled with vanity.

besides On Sight, New Slave and Black Skinhead i'm not feeling anything.

3. Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

I will agree that the lyrics are the low point. A lot of the songs could have been elevated pretty high if the lyrics were on point. Lupe Fiasco has a writing credit on Black Skinhead. I imagine if you put someone with that mindset on these beats, wow. Sometime it feels like Kanye is just going through phases rather than someone whose "image" really is their belief system 24/7 (like Lupe Fiasco).

4. $pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

so we're at that point again where Lupe is like some kind of hip-hop god? oh yeezus, time for another LPA break. shit's getting stupid.

5. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

One person says one thing (he wasn't even calling Lupe a "hip-hop god" in the first place) and that's (apparantly) the last drop that makes you need a "LPA break"? No offence, but that's stupid :lol:

Anyways, had a few more listens and listened to "Dark Fantasy" as well. Conclusion: comparing "Dark Fantasy" and "Yeezus" is wrong. They're vastly different. "Dark Fantasy" has more colorful production, whereas "Yeezus" clearly hasn't that type of production at all. It's gritty.

Agreed, the lyrics aren't good at all most of the time but the production is a whole other story imo. It's very different, and I think that's what's creating this polarizing effect between listeners.

Now, this is the first Kanye album that I listened to in depth so this could also be the reason why I'm digging this album so much. I heard a couple of Kanye tracks before, I liked a couple of'em but the reason why I dig this album so much (and why I decided to listen to it in the first place) is because the production is so different from his previous work.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a groundbreaking album, but I just love the soundscape of this album (some beats on this thing are just awesome).

6. $pvcxGhxztCasey

man you guys are picky as fuck

7. Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

No, it's just not that great.

8. $pvcxGhxztCasey

wouldn't know, haven't heard it. just lol'ing at you guys and your "production skill" critiques, or Kanye rapping about what he's always rapped about, his entire career.

9. Blackee Dammet

Well, this albums about what he's been raping about his entire career, except slightly less good this time around. A shame, because Black Skinhead live was fucking amazing, so take that initial excitment and combine it with a 'just ok' album that's actually a tad less good than his previous one is pretty lame.

10. $pvcxGhxztCasey

A "tad less good" than My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is still a pretty fucking good album, but then again, I don't know how you felt about MBDTF. I loved that album, so if it's only a little less better than it, it'll be in my top 5, easy.

I'm not surprised, though, since I'm a Kanye nuthugger, and I absolutely adore 808s & Heartbreak, unlike most.

11. Jayhov

Jayhov Well-Known Member

I love 808's to, don't worry :)

12. Justin V.

Why are people on this thread so damn dramatic? I or someone else say one thing and ya'll take it and run a marathon with is. :facepalm:

13. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

casey's reactions always crack me up.. straight up of a soap opera or some shit haha. :lol:

back on topic though, you must be insane if you think his style of rapping/lyrical content hasn't changed over the years. listen to the shit from College Dropout and compare it with the stuff in Twisted Fantasy. it won't be too hard to spot the differences.

14. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Tbh, I can't see any of these tracks having a video, being on radio/MTV a lot or that any track is some kind of a potential hit.

15. RazorEye

RazorEye The light on the horizon...

I been on the Daft Punk Club forums long enough to know where this is going...
    This thread is gonna turn into 30 pages of rage in 3... 2... 1...

16. deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

Love what I've heard so far.

17. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

From what I've heard so far, it was kinda so, so. I don't hate this, but I'm not a fan either.

18. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

"I Am A God" and "New Slaves" are the only tracks that I think will be getting some serious playtime at the moment.

19. Blackee Dammet

You'll enjoy this a lot, then.

20. Justin V.

Probably. If you're a stan of Kanye like I'm a stan of Lupe, lol, you'll enjoy it. I would be a little harsher than "tad bit less good." In my opinion as his production gets more adventurous I feel like he spends less time on making each and every song coherently lyrically. These tend to basically riff on blackness and sex and that's pretty much it. While he's ALWAYS rapped about that, he always had a lot more too. These are lyrically just race and sex.

I feel like Late Registration and Graduation are tied for the most prolific lyrics he's written. He's got some lines on this album but I'm rewinding for the grinding beats more than "oh man rap was *Pusha "yugh"*!" No rewindable lyrics like Barry Bonds, Crack Music, Diamonds etc. It really is more of an acid house/drill album that a true rap/lyricist album.