Teen arrested for Facebook comment

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by RyRy, Jul 4, 2013.

RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

Source: Huffington Post

This 19 year old was arrested for making a joke on Facebook. He commented on a post (where he was jokingly called insane) something along the lines of, "Oh yeah, I'm real messed up in the head, I'm going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still, beating hearts, lol and jk". Of course, this was two months after the Sandy Hook shooting, but was the arrest really justified? He's facing up to 8 years of prison time and is now on suicide watch. What are your thoughts?

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

USA NUMBER ONE MUH FREEDOMS

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

The comments were unnecessary and exhibit extremely poor judgment, but this punishment does not fit the crime.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Freedom of speech, except when it's not.

Blackened

Blackened Blackened Symphony

Since when has being sarcastic been against the law?

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

lol

Am I gonna be arrested now? :kappa:

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Seriously? 8 years possible and suicide watch? :facepalm:

MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

It's not even a crime. People get booty tight so easily. The people who do actually do these horrible things usually don't add "lol jk" to the end of their threats. On top of hating everyone outside the US, now we're in a civil war with the government vs. today's youth.

$500,000 bail, are you kidding me? Pretty sure Franco paid less for Selena, Vanessa, Ashley, and Rachel to get off for possession and abuse of narcotics.

Point proven: http://popwatch.ew.com/2009/02/09/chris-brown-sou/

Sarcasm = "terrorism threat" now. They should probably go ahead and put Russell Peters in Guantanamo then.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
    lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

:facepalm:

[​IMG]

Geki

Geki >.

Any prison time at all for this is fucking insane IMO. They could have acknowledged what he said, got his some help, and let him know how serious this is.

Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

The comment was morbid and horrifying, but this is a complete overreaction. There's no justification for a comment like that, especially when this has become a delicate issue in our country, but sentencing this boy to 8 years in prison, and effectively ruining his life over something that was meant to be sarcastic is almost just as terrible as the comment itself.

They searched his house, right? They came to understand it was in no way a serious threat? And yet he's still being punished for a crime not only uncommitted, but never even intended? I disagree wholeheartedly. There should be some repercussion for people joking about shooting children, a serious one, but not this. His life shouldn't be ruined because of it.

travz21

Almost as bad?!?! Lol. LOL! LOOOOOOOOOOOOL

And some individuals might think there should be serious repercussions for people joking about AIDS, the handicapped, women, cancer patients, etc. If you think hard you'll realize why freedom of speech is crucial.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

^Agreed.

I don't give the tiniest fuck what he said. He was sarcastic, that's what matters. That woman who contacted the police and the authorities who arrested him can all go fuck themselves. In fact, they should all be shot up and have their beating hearts eaten. Lol jk. :rolleyes:

Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

And being a pretentious dick is always the best way to support your own opinions.

^ did you catch the sarcasm there?

travz21

My opinion that free speech is crucial? I can give some support without being a dick if you want.

If there isn't free speech, that means the government can pick and choose what it allows the citizens to say. One reason that's bad is it can lead to people not being able to speak out about something they agree or disagree with because they fear for their well-being. Imagine living in Germany during WWII and wanting to speak out against those atrocities. Imagine wanting to express your willingness to help the Jews.

Imagine a US where you couldn't voice support for race equality or gay rights because the administration had the opinion that that's wrong. How far stuck in the past would we be as a society?

When you don't allow people to say whatever they want or voice their opinions, you can only have the same opinions as the government. And, unfortunately, not many governments are corrupt-free.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
    ernieball003

ernieball003 Well-Known Member

There should be, calling the kid a fucking asshat and then moving on.

MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

So you've got $500,000? :rolleyes:

Dizzy Slay

Dizzy Slay Well-Known Member

Americans in power are fuckin pussies ruled my fear, greed, political competition, and paranoia so much so to the point that the government has lost its sense of humanity. Fuck this shit, I'm goin to Canada

LeoMPhillyFan

LeoMPhillyFan Well-Known Member

He's an idiot for writing that as he should know that many people take those things very seriously in today's world. But he definitely didn't deserve his punishment.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

I kind of wish about 80% of Facebook users were incarcerated just so the rest of us don't have to read their stupid fucking bullshit.