Thirty Seconds To Mars

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Omar Ali, Jul 20, 2012.

1. RazorEye

RazorEye The light on the horizon...

It would've been more polite to say "I disapprove of this!". :lol:

2. snailharvest

snailharvest nice

Don't see any reason for the fucking.. :kappa:

City Of Angels is one of the better ones imo.

3. ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

Second half of the album is the one that sags.

4. Dekar

Dekar swimmingsmoke LPA VIP

^
    Yeah, I would give a few of them even lower scores, but that's pretty much how my curve would look.
    'Normally don't do rankings, but whatever...

Birth | 9
    Conquistador | 8
    Up In The Air | 7
    City of Angels | 6
    The Race | 8
    End of All Days | 7
    Pyres of Varanasi | 9
    Bright Lights | 5
    Do or Die | 6
    Convergence | 7
    North Lights | 8
    Depuis Le Début | 7

Something like that.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  5. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

"Pyres of Varanasi" definitely deserves a 9, yeah. Some of my lower-positioned songs should get even lower scores too, maybe, but the chart I posted is pretty much it for me. It's the curve that matters.

6. RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

I would rate everything an 8, and Do or Die/Northern Lights/Despuis Le Debut all 9's. This album is a great collection of songs rather than a "listen from front to back" type album.

7. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Just for you, Rob. :bradwink:

Birth - 9/10 Biiiiiig like. Loved everything. Great beginning of an album. Favorite part would be the horns.

Conquistador - 9/10 Knew from before. Love it. The lyrics are shitty but hey, I love the melody and the chorus.

Up In The Air - 4/10 I've gotta say, when this came out, I thought it was brilliant. Then it got sooooo played out, to the point that now I can't even stand it. I've really started disliking everything about it, especially vocals. At my first listen it was probably a 8.5/10

City of Angels - 5/10 Meh. Boring. Doesn't leave you really impressed.

The Race - 6/10 Alright I guess. Liked the last minute. Same as above.

End of All Days - 6/10 All we need is faith. All we need is faith. Faith is all we need. All we need is faith. :sleep: Liked it, but this is exactly what I disliked about This Is War: the amateurish electronic elements.

Pyres of Varanasi - 8/10 So this is on the beginning of the Up In The Air video? Like it. DAT ending.

Bright Lights - 6/10 Meh. Didn't really like it. Gives some kind of a Kings and Queens vibe, which I love.

Do or Die - 8/10 So this is getting a video? Looking forward to seeing it about a trillion times on MTV.

Convergence - 9/10 Yeah, the version I had had Gangnam Style thrown in the middle of the song. Heard it on YouTube and really like it. It's really calm and makes me happy. Don't know why. Just feels good to hear it.

Northen Lights - 9/10 Yep, love this one. Sounds powerful, and I really like the strings. Thumbs up.

Depuis Le Debut - 9/10 Great ending to the album. Big like. Oh and the music box... Unbelievable.

Love Lust Faith + Dreams - 7/10 Great beginning, bad middle and great end. I'll go through it a few more times, maybe I'll like some tracks more after a few listens. No tracks were really ''perfect'' but had quite a few great tracks.

8. Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

All I took from this album was Conquistador, The Race and Up in the Air.. In a more extended view I'll take Birth and Pyres of Varanasi. Will listen to the whole thing one of this days and see if I catch a bit more, I'm trying to give it a chance here :lol:

9. RazorEye

RazorEye The light on the horizon...

Since everyone seems to be doing it, here's my view of the album:

"Birth" [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    -Just the way I expect a Thirty Seconds to Mars album to open with; an explosive opener that sets the tone for the rest of the album. Brilliant piece of art should I say!

"Conquistador" [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    -Really like this track, like REALLY. Feels like a cool throwback to A Beautiful Lie and I love the chorus in this song- "We will, we will, we will rise again!". One of the band's best vocal lines. The last bridge and final chorus is the one that always gets me, though! That finale is so immense and explosive!

"Up in the Air" [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    -They keep the momentum that the opening tracks brought, so that's a really nice to the touch to the album. This particular song always had some sort of charm that I still can't explain. It's really catchy and infectious, especially with that synth riff! It also manages to drop the momentum nicely by the end of the song to allow the album to go in a different direction, in which it does in the next song:

"City of Angels" [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    -I fell in love with this song the first time I listened to it. One of the band's best songs to date. It's also one of the few songs that I can actually compliment for it's lyrics! "There was truth, there was consequence against you; a weak defense, then there's me; I'm seventeen; looking for a fight..." I know you guys don't see it the way I do, because everyone has a different perspective on things, but, being the writer I am, I fell that this song has so many dimensions to it that you could practically interpret it any way you want and it'll still make sense. One certain member of the echelon described it to me as an ode to Los Angeles. Another said it was a song about growing up. I don't have a particular interpretation of it; I keep an open mind on it, which is why it has a special place in my mind. It's a beautiful ballad backed by an ominous background synth (that sounds like a news report theme) and shape-shifting drums. Ultimately, though, it's Jared's voice that tops this cake with the frosting.

"The Race" [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    -Not very fond of this song as much as, say "Conquistador", but it's a great song nevertheless. It's got a charm like "Up in the Air" has, and I always keep running back to this song. I love the sudden shift in motion towards the end of the song: "No, i'm not running, no..." BAM! GUITAR! Also, like "Conquistador", it has a really big and explosive finale, and I like those! I could probably listen to that final "I'm not running" over and over again in a repeat if I could. It sounds so good!

"End of All Days" [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    -Jesus Christ, they weren't kidding when they said this was a cult! Jared Leto gives us the Jesus factor on this song, but I like it for some reason. The click track on this song really draws your attention the whole way and the violins in the background are a nice touch, along with the reverse piano chords.

"Pyres of Varanasi" [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    This is awesome. Really awesome. Deepak's vocals are really soulful and the album's electronic synthesia wormhole of noise shows off it's absolute greatest sound here. It's massive and bold, and it's a really great interlude track that leaves you on the edge of your seat by the time the next track kicks in!

"Bright Lights" [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    -My favorite song structure in music is used here: where the song builds up it's sound as the song progresses, becoming louder and more dramatic as the song reaches it's climax. "Bright Lights" uses this, and it uses it so well! Although the song itself before the climax occurs is a bit meh, when the song does reach it's climax, it's a hyberbole of awesomeness! Shannon's impact, the massive guitar chord and the summit screaming "oh oh-uh" together is so brilliant it makes me want to get up and sing with the summit! The album's production shows off it's best here aswell.

"Do or Die" [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    -FUCK. YES. OH MY GOD. FUCK! THIS SONG IS... OH MY... Okay, let's calm down.. I'm going to try to explain my love for this song before I have a fangasm. People who know me know that I love This Is War with an undeniable passion, and this song... THIS SONG.. Sorry, um.. this song practically throws in everything that made This Is War an explosive masterpiece into a bite-sized four minutes of melodramatic awesomeness! The electronica of "Closer to the Edge", the impact of the summit in such songs as "Kings and Queens", the progressive momentum of "This Is War", the space of "Hurricane", the jumps of "Search and Destroy"; it's all present here, and I FUCKING LOVE IT! OH JESUS IT'S... Sorry again. Man, it's even got a woman saying something in a different language in the beginning of the song. Direct homage to "Night of the Hunter" off This Is War! It's just one of those songs that just works on so many levels, I don't think there's a skyscraper tall enough that can hold that many levels that this song works on. "Time to Do or Die.." Fuck YOLO. This should be the rebeler's motto.

"Convergence" [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    -The two interludes on this album are sure some amazing tracks. Shannon's only contribution to the album, "Convergence" is simply pipes being hit over and over again, but with the help of a horn in the background, soft drumming and the occasional soft guitar strike keep this song from being anything but boring. It's the same technique used to make the opening of Pink Floyd's "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" from Wish You Were Here somewhat interesting before the song begins. Absolutely brilliant interlude.

"Northern Lights" [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    This song, could have been better. It's very bland and even confusing sometimes. I remember a while back, when the previews for the album were up on iTunes, a fellow LPA member said that "Northern Lights" could be bigger. Sadly, this was not the case. It makes you think it's building up to something, hell, we were expecting it to explode like Muse's "Survival", considering penultimate tracks on 30 Seconds / Thirty Seconds to Mars albums were famous for being batshit crazy and brilliant, like the awesome "Re-Evolve" off A Beautiful Lie and the god-tier fucking masterpiece "Stranger in a Strange Land" off This Is War. Unfortunately, "Northern Lights" just doesn't cut it. It's boring and has a really back lashing anti-climax. It definitely had potential, but I think Jared lost it somewhere along recording this.

"Depuis Le Début" [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Let's be honest with ourselves. Jared doesn't have a clue how to end an album. He ended the explosive, mid-2000s rock centerpiece A Beautiful Lie with an acoustic ballad and literally saying "Goodbye". He also ended the out-there soul-grabbing and experimentally awesome This Is War with a mosquito-repellant sound (painful to even listen to sometimes) followed by improv guitar and a Maori choir. Were we really expecting an amazing ending? This song is worse though. It seems like even the album itself doesn't know how to end, as the album first decides to end on Jared singing about something. But then it decides to end on a somewhat decent violin/synth blow-out. But THEN it decides to end on a music box. Great way to end an experimental rock album centered around general loudness, guys! A music box. WHERE"S MY BULLSHIT BUTTON?!?!?

--------------------------

Love, Lust, Faith and Dreams [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    This album is definitely a Thirty Seconds to Mars album. It skewers off in a completely different direction, dabbing into the electronic+orchestral side of music, but doesn't fly too far. It's thankfully the band we know and love, and I'm thankful for that. It's all a familiar sound, and I like being familiar with a particular sound. Love, Lust, Faith and Dreams has a somewhat different feel to it though. It's got a space opera feel that really bears it's lead single's name: It's up in the air. It's a very spacious album that can never really be listened to with a closed mind, unlike the band's previous work, and that's really bold for the band to do. To make a very soulful album and to put it out to a crowd that never really does open their mind up to something like rock music, but that factor alone; space and mind in a rock album, is what makes this album work. It's brilliant.

10. Filip

I loved the music box. :cry:

11. lime treacle

Seems like your curve would also be similar to mine, Filip.

I also liked the music box.

Anyway, RazorEye, what's so special about "Do or Die"? It sounds so empty. If this song were on This Is War, it would be the worst moment of the record.

12. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Well, the music box never loved you.

13. Filip

[​IMG]

14. RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

Northern Lights is a weird song, but I like it. The song's vibe isn't "confusing" to me, but rather desperate, portraying a rage as if Jared actually will go on a murdering spree, as Jared sings ... the entire song. I was about to quote the first line and realized I love the songs lyrics entirely.

When Despuis Le Début starts, it almost has a NIN "Closer" vibe to it; this man is describing his life and his pain in such a dead and lifeless tone and wants change but can't do it. It has a musical change sounding like a mixture of Birth and Pyres of Varanasi and drops it, ending with that sweet musical box, symbolizing "dreams", the last word yet to be said in the line of "love, lust, faith and dreams".

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  15. Dekar

Dekar swimmingsmoke LPA VIP

My thoughts exactly. :lol:

16. Andreina

Yeah, I'm starting to listen to it a bit more.. There in my quick review I had said that this song had something I liked but I wasn't quite sure. I still don't know what it is (maybe that key/string-ey thing), but I like the chorus a lot.

17. lime treacle

Andreina, if you haven't yet, check out their earlier albums. In my opinion, they are all superior to LOVE LUST FAITH + DREAMS.

18. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

She says that she didn't like "A Beautiful Lie", though I'm not sure if she got to checking out the B-sides

19. Andreina

Yeah, what minute said. It's not that I didn't like it or hated it, just that it didn't impress me. But I think I could be the one to blame since I'm kinda lazy when listening to new music. I'll give it some further spins in the upcoming days to see if I change my mind.

I'm also coming to realize that I enjoy the electronic feel in rock music more than I used to, so going back to straight rock tunes gets a bit harder if I'm not familiar with the band.

20. lime treacle

A Beautiful Lie is the 30 Seconds to Mars album with the least electronic music. The self-titled debut and This Is War both have much more electronic influences than A Beautiful Lie.