Rick Rubin.

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by EastGhost, Aug 8, 2013.

EastGhost

EastGhost Banned

Yet another thought in my head that I wanted to discuss. At this point, three albums deep with him, do you think Linkin Park really needs a producer/co-producer? Or do you think they just want that legendary name on their record? Rick gets less involved with each album process, and I feel like he isn't really relevant to their work as he was with Minutes To Midnight and A Thousand Suns.

I personally think they could do it on their own this time around. They are all smart enough to push themselves in any direction they feel they need to without any help from somebody else.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

idk, it's hard to answer this being on the outside.

Jack_Farrell

Jack_Farrell KTTK is Chester suicide-diving off a cliff naked

On the contrary Rubin has been more involved than ever in this new album process (2013-2014), Mike has told that he worked on a song with Rubin's ideas, not just his comments, they were actually composing music together.

EastGhost

EastGhost Banned

Pidgeon just made a fantastic point. Almost a thread-closer.. I never thought about that. The band might think the subtle comments can make colossal differences. But I never knew Rick was heavily involved this time around

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

If you're a musician, I think any time you have the opportunity to work with Rick Rubin you take it.

Vdalem

Vdalem Purrfect! LPA Super VIP

Rick Rubin is the Man, the Myth.....The Legend! You know that he helps you with your album, you will never be forgotten!!

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

This, I think.
    example: Linkin Park, Red Hot Chili Peppers

Vdalem

Vdalem Purrfect! LPA Super VIP

I guess he figures that they can do it on their own. That would explain why we haven't heard from Red Hot in long time. *shrugs*

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Yes.

I think he leads them in the right path. They tell him what they want to do, he helps them achieve that goal (the perfect example here is Minutes to Midnight, which is my favorite). It's not like he needs to do a whole lot anyway (especially now that he's been with the band for 7 years), but I think the advice he gives, either about what path they take or the music per se, while it's in progress, is beneficial.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
    Keyguy

Keyguy Active Member

I think bands should only work with a producer on two albums then move on, however I feel Linkin Park have moved back onto the right track with Living Things despite of how weak it turned out to be.
    At this point I think LP should work instead with multiple producers to keep things interesting, Rick allowed the band way too much freedom on the last three albums and it resulted in a lack of focus on the lead singles.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Lack of focus on the lead singles? :huh:

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Of course Rick Rubin gave them less freedom prior to the last three albums, he wasn't even working with them! :sheldon:

ZachLP

ZachLP Soldier since 2000

Rick was very important in 2006/2007 when LP made MTM, he definitely helped them change and evolve. With ATS, it seems that Mike wanted that album to go into a very specific direction, and I think Rick just further helped Mike with that, like bringing in the idea of the scat vocal for Blackout, weird instruments, etc. With LIVING THINGS, I'm not sure how Rick was influenced, maybe just his advice here and there, I don't think he really had to do much work with that one. There wasn't a proper making of, so it's kind of hard to tell. I do hope that LP is working with Rick again on the 6th album, and personally, I wouldn't mind if LP never worked with another producer again, I've loved the albums they made with Rick so far.