That Given Up Performence On Summer Sonic

Discussion in 'On Stage' started by Emiltayeb, Aug 12, 2013.

Emiltayeb

Emiltayeb Well-Known Member

to whoever seen the proshot video of given up , i think chester voice was amaizng there!

what do you think? that last scream he gave was really high not , i dont think i ever heard this one from him.

[video=youtube;QjOKaEL3wg4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjOKaEL3wg4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Thanks for sharing, amazing performance of all 3 songs!

The last line of the Given Up chorus what like sung/then cracked into the scream... Still the three songs as a whole were really on point, props to Chester.

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

That was brutal.

Shmoanator

Shmoanator Guest

They played those songs very well and it must have been an enjoyable experience for the fans that attended, at least, but I must say that I was a little disgusted how Joe was just fiddling around on his phone throughout the majority of Given Up. It's like he honestly didn't care about the fact that he was on stage and putting on a show in front of so many fans who want a heartfelt performance.
    Another thing that worried me was that Brad look completely bored out of his mind when playing. That didn't disgust me as much as Joe's phone did, but it seems like he would've been able to pull some enjoyment out of the concert.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Honestly, the crowd was bad assly amazing. I don't blame joe for making a video on his phone. His job in performing the song was done. It did not interfere with how the song sounded. That was definitely a moment. Also, Brad is enjoying himself. He was even smiling on stage. That's just his stage performance. He was never into big and flashy.

Shmoanator

Shmoanator Guest

I suppose you're right. On Brad's stage presence, I just kept thinking what it would be like if I were there, in his shoes, at that point in time, I know I'd certainly be jumping around and getting much more excited than that, but that's just me.
    Perhaps Joe was taking a picture and uploading it onto twitter or something, but I was still taken aback when he set it down next to his gear and was messing with it as the song played out. It just seemed out of place.

I don't mean to come off as whiny or bitchy at all, these are just things that I noticed.

Emiltayeb

well i think that brad really was a little bored but the fact he was smilling meant he enjoyed what he was doing so it's fine :)

and when joe filmed it , that could also means that he thought that was a crazy performence so he just needed to take video!
    haha :)

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Don't worry. :) I didn't take it that way. He did have it next to his gear when he was done with it. Towards the end of the song in a part that he needed to contribute in, he was using his equipment, not the phone. Also, if you were in the crowd, you would have had no idea if he was on his phone or messing with his equipment. :)

ZachLP

ZachLP Soldier since 2000

I don't understand why everyone is so ''shocked'' about Joe. LP has been playing Given Up at basically every show since 2007, and the song hasn't changed at all. There isn't much for Joe to do because it's a straight up rock song (which I love). Just because one pro-shot video since 2007 shows him taking a picture during the song doesn't change anything. Lol. Besides, ATS and LT have tons of things from Joe, and so do HT and Meteora, just some of the MTM songs don't, which they don't play anymore anyways.

Great performance, though. LP seems spot on in 2013. Great live year for the band.

Andreina

I completely disagree on this. It's not like Joe was texting or just checking his Twitter TL. He likes to take crowd shots and videos and I believe he wanted to capture the moment because the crowd was amazing, they clapped the intro of the song on their own and sung the chorus real loud. If there was a moment for him to do it, it was there because he didn't have much to do throughout the song.

Worrying it'd be if he had stopped doing his part on songs to grab his phone.

ZachLP

ZachLP Soldier since 2000

Get over it

Shmoanator

Shmoanator Guest

Haha, probably! :)

Again, you're probably right. :)

Well that's just mean.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

1. Joe's been dicking around during songs where he doesn't have much/anything to do since 2007. Sometimes he leaves the stage entirely (The Little Things Give You Away, some performances of No More Sorrow). Sometimes he takes pictures. Sometimes he steals one of the cameras from the camera guys and films from his DJ rig mid-song. Sometimes he even has chat windows open on his laptop (clearly seen on some of the Sessions@AOL footage, although those were technically just rehearsals and I've never seen him do that during a show). That's just Joe being Joe.

2. That performance of Given Up was a perfect example of why the song needs to be permanently dropped from future setlists. If there's any one song that's responsible for the majority of the wear and tear Chester's voice has endured over the past few years, it's this one. I'm shocked people actually find that last "scream" at the end of the song appealing, as it's one of the most downright painful/unhealthy-sounding noises I've ever heard come out of Chester's mouth. That's the sound of someone's voice completely giving out from being pushed to places it shouldn't be pushed. He sounded like he was about to hack up a lung there. At the very least, they need to start playing this song tuned down half a step. Why they haven't is beyond me, as the only samples in the song are hand claps and key jingling/shaker noises that don't have any pitch to them, so they could just swap out their Drop D guitars for their Drop Db ones, play the song the same way they've been playing it, and it would sound just fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2013
    Emiltayeb

Im finding it amazing that he gave so much for this performance.

and the scream i tallked about was the one after the scream you tallked about that sounded painful.

chester is a professional singer . i'm betting he knwos what this song takes from him , maybe this preformence he pushed it a little hard then what he used to.

the last scream i tallked about was the high pitch one Really blow me away :)

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

This video's just reminded me of just why I love this band so much. Amazing performance. Also, Chester sounded pretty good here – I've seen videos where the screams did sound really painful and unhealthy – but not this one. Fucking amazing.

Andreina

Considering Chester actually learned how to scream by pushing his voice to the limit of pain (as stated by himself), I'm sure he's okay. Sure, it might wear him afterwards but I don't think he's unaware of any damage to his chords, he knows the consequences of using his technique.

Brandon Torio

Brandon Torio Well-Known Member

Joe always plays on his phone during Given Up, and usually uploads a panorama to instagram. It's cool, what else do you want him to do? Add a bunch of random sounds that don't belong?
    And most people know what sounds are coming from where, so they'll be watching the guitarists and Chester during this song, it's not like they'll stare at Joe and wonder why he's not doing anything.

Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

They could drop Given Up in the future set & let No More Sorrow return to the set.. Maybe QWERTY could return too because it has lower pitched screams than Given Up.. Given Up is a fan favorite song because of its High energy appeal to the fans..

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

What about phoenix tearin up that bass. Never seen him play like that.

Shmoanator

Shmoanator Guest

Seconded.