That Given Up Performence On Summer Sonic

Discussion in 'On Stage' started by Emiltayeb, Aug 12, 2013.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

HOLY SHIT.

I always thought Given Up is one of those songs that sound so much better live. And this is a great example of that. THAT BASS. Fucking awesome to see Phoenix play like that. And damn it... THOSE SCREAMS. Awesome to see 2013 Chester do that soo perfectly. AMAZING performance!

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

True! Damn it, we need more bass in the studio albums!

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Yeah. I love live recordings where Phoenix's bass-playing can really be heard. :)

deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

He does play like that, but it's tuned down in the mix for whatever reason.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

I think anyone that's said Chester can't scream anymore needs to get their ears checked. He's making 2013 his bitch.

ConsUme

ConsUme もちあげてときをはんして

Chester Saves his beast (originally typo but fits) screams for Special Occasions

And they need to turn the bass up (not drop the bass) in studio albums...

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

We need more prominent basslines. I agree.

Anyways, yeah... that was one hell of a performance.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I must be the only one who agrees with astat in this thread. Yes Chester sounded great in some parts, but there were several instances in this song that showed his voice was being pushed too hard. There's the voice crack before the "long scream", the fact that he ran out of juice only a few seconds into the scream (and barely could hold the rest of the scream after recovering), and then that really painful sounding scream at the end that sounded like his voice gave out.

Yes Phoenix tore up that bass like it was his bitch, and yes Chester was on key for a lot of the performance...but he also seemed to crack/struggle from over-exerting himself and it's shit like that which makes me concerned. Everyone here acts like because he does it for a living or got to his level of ability by straining in the first place, that he can keep handling this type of stress on his vocals night after night. Anyone who knows the stress vocalists put themselves through will state that this is not the case. Mariah Carey reportedly had a five octave vocal range (for comparison, Michael Jackson had four octaves) and in her younger years had one of the most breathtakingly powerful voices in pop music. But she repeatedly over-sang to the point it damaged her vocal chords, and now she can't even come close to what she used to be able to sing. Yes she's recovered a little and gotten better recently, but the old Mariah Carey is gone.

Chester is pushing 40. I'd rather have him drop Given Up (as much as it kicks ass live) from the setlist, so that in the event the band is still together in 5-10 years, he doesn't sound like shit by the time he's 50.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Another great example of that is M. Shadows of Avenged Sevenfold. He needed vocal chord repair surgery and hasn't been the same since.

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

As much as I like Given Up live, I felt it was too overrated since it's not even one of their most famous singles. They should've dropped Lying from You, Given Up and sadly APFMH so they could at least squeeze in a new song.

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Yeah, true. Not gonna disagree with this. Chester's performances have gone downhill a lot last couple of years. Still has highs, but if he uses the highs to go this far, then he just damages his voice even more.

That's what I liked about the ATS tour. Mike was singing more, Chester was also just singing more and had the chance to give his voice bit of a rest, compared to when he's screaming + he got to play instruments as well.

minuteforce

Remember how Chester used to say that he didn't want to still be performing "One Step Closer" at 40?

Or was that T-Rez talking about "Head Like A Hole"?

Clever Name

Clever Name Well-Known Member

Just found this, not sure if anyone has seen it yet or not, but yeah :)

[video=youtube;qvjWxhlULvo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvjWxhlULvo[/video]

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

The live intro of LITE should've been on the record.

Good performance, and it's cool to see the entire band harmonizing. I've never heard Chester scream like that live before at the end.

To be honest though, I'm not sure why a fansite decided to put their tag on a commercially available live stream.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Yeah, those screams sounded particularly high-pitched. Made me think of Chino Moreno from Deftones.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

I agree with everyone else that those are Deftones-like screams. However I also feel like this tour has showcased Chester's best screaming capabilities since those legendary Faint outros from 2007. After watching a few 2008 videos his screams from then are embarrassingly weak in comparison to the stuff seen this year. Whether he's "straining his voice" or not, the fact of the matter remains to me that he sounds the best he has in over 5 years which is pretty damn amazing.

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

I don't know about you guys, but I think Chester's performance of "APFMH" here in Manila is pretty amazing. Try checking it out on Youtube.

Keyguy

Keyguy Active Member

So awesome, forgot how much I loved Papercut.

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Well, fair enough. I'd rather sacrifice Given Up live for more years of LP.

Holy shit that was a fucking amazing performance, intro, harmonies (the best part), screams, Mike's delivery. Epic to me.

1. Agreed.
    2. Well you know, many people love to take credit for things they didn't do so..
    ---

One thing I'm sure we can all agree on is that we want Chester to take care of his voice the best he can, so if dropping a song or two, as well as doing better preparations and recovery off stage can help with that, it will be very welcome for both his own health and our enjoyment :)

minuteforce

When it comes to the live sets, the only "Midnight" song that I care about is "Bleed It Out". :rolleyes: