Just listened to Living Things again, and I think it's garbage.

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Keyguy, Aug 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Keyguy

Keyguy Active Member

Doesn't hold a candle to any of the other albums, why did LP even release it after hearing the final master? It's only relatively enjoyable on the first two listens also, I understand that LP purposefully made music that would impact people on the first listen without any further depth, but isn't that the goddamn definition of selling out?

Isn't that the same mentality that Justin Bieber has towards music? Linkin Park aren't happy with their already huge success, and it's a good thing Burn It Down failed miserably; you can't just decide to be popular.

The music videos sucked huge balls also, people crying at facebook pictures of my cats (LITE) MORE rotary camera shots of the band performing (Burn It Down) and military propaganda/video game advertising (Castle Of Glass)

Not even Lady Gaga would pull off such lame moves, and to add insult to injury - the cover art was decided by the band in only 3 days?

[video=youtube;51iquRYKPbs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51iquRYKPbs[/video] [video=youtube;dxytyRy-O1k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxytyRy-O1k[/video]

Really?

LP always play off their decisions as artistic expressions, but when you obviously make a song for popularity, by following every rule in the modern contemporary pop music guide.. it's the definition of selling out.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

In what respect?

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

>Burn It Down didn't fail miserably. It's the opposite.
    >The CoG video is among the band's best.
    >The BID video suits the song great.
    >The LITE video was attempt to do something different, which hasn't been done before. It wasn't the best but it wasn't bad either.
    >Why would the choosing of a cover take more?

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Burn It Down wasn't successful? Dude what planet are you on? As a single it sold over 1 Million copies (their 8th single to date to do so) and was the song of the NBA Finals. It peaked at #1 on the UK Rock charts (and several US Billboard Alternative/Rock Charts) and is likely why LIVING THINGS has sold close to 700,000 copies in one year, compared to A Thousand Suns' 800,000 sales in three years.

It's getting nearly impossible to take you seriously when every post you've made has been bitching about something or controversial in some sense. You're coming off as a troll (and a bad one at that) and you really need to research your facts before calling something a failure. 1
    Million Sales and peaking at #1 in some charts does not equal failure. In fact it can be argued that BURN IT DOWN was the most successful single of LIVING THINGS.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

From the thread Top 25 Most Played LP Songs: Post LT-era Edition:

:blink:

There are also numerous threads on here dissecting the album.

Filip

I just learned that LT isn't the best selling rock album of 2012 yesterday... :lol:

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Sounds like they wrote it on autopilot.

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Just finished reading your OP, and I think it's garbage.

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

Maybe, but still there are some enjoyable songs there...

Keyguy

Keyguy Active Member

The album in general does not feel finished, the songs don't gel together well enough and gives the impression that they turned it in early for a cash bonus from Warner.
    Mastering sucks, lack of care when it came to finishing the album, Roads Untravelled and Castle Of Glass are a step forward musically, but they are destroyed by crappy mastering and the band can't even perform one of those live.

This is also the album in which LP perform the least amount of songs, it's completely lame, gives the impression that they'd rather play Hybrid Theory.

I meant that i'm glad that it wasn't as successful as they wanted it to be, they wanted it to chart like Lady Gaga or Katy Perry, you can tell just from the hype around the song, the horribly generic music video and basic pop structure to the song, yuck.

I repeat, sellouts.

It's barely a rock song, and discounting that it only hit number 27 of the UK Singles chart it should have been on, no casual music fan would ever call Burn It Down a rock song - it's in the same territory as Lady Gaga.
    It's just got a sprinkle of guitar/acoustic drums to stop Minutes fans from complaining, while the majority of the song focuses on being a dancefloor track.

I never said anything about Living Things not being commercially successful, and what is this nonsense? Many people are in agreement on this forum that ATS is their strongest album.
    Also stop twisting my words, just because something was successful financially doesn't mean it's amazing.
    Sources: Justin Bieber, Jay Z, Katy Perry

It's called a dry sense of humor, stop taking everything so seriously.

Never said that, nonsense.

Strongly agree, it sounds like Mike caved in from Hybrid Theory fans' peer pressure while trying to remain relevant in pop culture.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Oh, for fuck'sakes, stop the bitching already. There have been tons of threads like this one. If you want something more complex and less pop than LT, listen to something else. That's what I'm doing, and I'm pretty cool with it.

Derek

Keyguy: I presume you sat in at the band meetings and Warner board meetings where they said they wanted the song to be as big as Bieber or Katy Perry? Or are you just using your "dry sense of humor" and amazing powers of deduction to come up with this nonsense?

You keep telling us we're spouting nonsense, when you're coming up with theories based off of what you feel to be a overtly mainstream song. Have you not heard Meteora? Meteora is the album where Don Gilmore flat out confessed in the making of that they wrote the songs over and over again so that they appealed to (and I quote) a "ten year old boy from Cleveland". The band actually calls that album Hybrid Theory Part 2 in an acknowledgement of how little they progressed.

You're acting like the band blatantly writing catchy music so they sell records is anything new. That Mike didn't confess around the time of Fort Minor that he dumbs down his lyrics on Linkin Park tracks. None of this is new and I feel like fans got spoiled by ATS and parts of MTM. As much as Hybrid Theory was a game changer in some sorts the band unfortunately made it clear with Meteora and other tracks that they'll never be this generation's Pink Floyd. And to be honest? I still like this band regardless of that fact. Why? Because their music is enjoyable to listen to and they're awesome people.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Oh lord :facepalm:

You have an opinion and it is something everyone should respect. But all of us also have an opinion, and you must have known most of us wouldn't agree with you. Why did you make this thread? What did you expect would happen?

You have an opinion, but that's all it is – an opinion. Not a fact. Making a thread like this, to showcase nothing but your opinion, is not a very good idea, even if your opinion is positive. Say, if someone made a thread here, saying they think LIVING THINGS rules, some would agree, some wouldn't. But the thread wouldn't last long and no one's opinion would end up being changed. No constructive talk, no point.

What are you trying to make of this, other than complain? The sad truth is, no one really cares what you think.

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Ladies and gentlemen we have a winner! Here, have some chicken. :kfj:

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Why thank you. :lol:

Filip

#TRUTH

Derek

I award you all the slow claps available on the internets.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

tumblr_m71azz64gw1rvsbzio1_500.gif

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.