Mike's Response To Rock Music Sucking

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Jack_Farrell, Sep 10, 2013.

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Problem is that, if Linkin Park doesn't make nü metal, it's gonna "suck" in the eyes of the world and popular market. They made amazing music with ATS and it didn't go high as nearly as it should have been.

Many new acts can make different-styled music and still be called a "rock band", but Linkin Park can't, apparently.

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

I disagree. A "New Divide"-ish song is what the popular market expects of Linkin Park now.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I highly doubt that the "popular market" is hungering for nü-metal anymore.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

The market is the sole reason nu-metal is dead. The market has proven that Bieber, TSwift, and other generic music is in high demand. Dubstep as well. I pray there is a major shift in the trend very soon.

Andreina

Nope, but is still what they expect from LP.

minuteforce

Well, then, it probably wouldn't sell well anyway. And, if they completely avoid the kind of sound they'd developed for "Hybrid Theory" and "Meteora", then, they'd (apparently) be failing to meet people's expectations. We've seen the results of that: the sales figures for the band's last two studio albums haven't been great, depending on your standards.

They get to "suck" in the eyes of the "popular market" either way.

Eh, I wouldn't say that ...

Andreina

And I agree! I don't know why some can't just take what they get. I mean, not that they should settle with anything that they give you but when you expect something from someone and you don't get it, it all ends up in disappointment. I really do think Linkin Park should be doing better than they have since MTM, it hasn't been bad, fairly good actually but I think that at least MTM and ATS should've been seen with better eyes by the public opinion.

To the eyes of everyone else but LP fans, the band is a "former rock band gone soft therefore they suck/sold out", and I think that couldn't be further from the truth, bias aside.

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

I think that problem that LP has is because of their decisions in the past. They often leave the public eye for months, or even years, without releasing music. People have short term memories, so if you fade off the airwaves, you're forgotten. Then, when they do come back, they sound so much different. Sure, for us who read the interviews and follow the news surrounding the band, we aren't too surprised and we're happy because it is what we expect. But for the people who don't follow the band, it can seem like they've sold out or lost their identity. However, we know this isn't true.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
    minuteforce

This is a good point. The music which is born from side-projects also tend to sounds nothing like the studio albums that follow as well.