A viewpoint on the Android vs iOS "war"

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by RapidGunner, Oct 5, 2013.

RapidGunner

RapidGunner The Catalyst

I found this on Youtube a while back, and this guy just spoke EXACTLY what's been on my mind since a while. FYI, the title of the video is sarcastic.

[video=youtube;Ux-0DeutOBo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux-0DeutOBo[/video]

Personally, I own a Samsung Galaxy S and I absolutely love it, but I don't go around mocking iPhone users or laughing at their "stupidity". I just find it incredibly idiotic that in a world with so many serious problems which require discussion, the thing most "geeks" often debate about is which friggin' OS on their phone is better.

Android and iOS are for different people with different needs. Obviously, a techie who loves programming and/or tweaking his machine all the time would love Android/Linux stuff. And person who needs a phone to be consistent and something he rarely has to worry about will choose the iPhone. Why should we judge people for this small, insignificant choice?

I see Samsung spending millions of advertising dollars trying to project Apple users as "sheep". Microsoft/Nokia, instead of improving it's products, is doing the same stupid shit in their ad campaigns. I get it, negativity sells. But this is harming the development of the smartphone industry (more concerned about "specs" rather than usability), and the usual idiots on the internet are getting more chances to fight with each other.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Word. I love that Apple kicked off the smartphones race the way that they did, and I love iPhones and iPads; it just happens that I'm not an iPhone or iPad user myself.

RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

Who cares? Buy whatever the hell you want. It's not hard to discern a biased review from a factual one.

In the end, it's you using the device for quite some time. Not the entirety of the internet.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

*going around starting wars*

iOS > Android.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I don't hate Apple hardware. They have some of the very best if not the best hardware. I hate their viewpoints and their ecosystem and the closedness of it. The hardware is great, their services are not.

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

I go as far as saying that I use a Symbian phone and I don't care what people say, it's what I can afford, and what has so far satisfied my NEEDS (note that "needs" and "wants" are two very different things).

What I don't like about this "war" is how some get to the point on actually judging people based on their phone preferences, it's snobbish, it's stupid.

RapidGunner

RapidGunner The Catalyst

Well, in defense of Apple... let me quote Steve Wozniak here -

"Apple products, if you look at them, are very much different, and that is thanks to basically having one mind at the top that would not let them get overly complicated; have good, friendly things for normal human beings and have very few functions that get in the way, but still let you do what you want to do, but not a lot of gizmos."

That's the whole point of iOS - Simple, uncluttered OS for normal people. Making it open-ended will invite trouble in many ways. I doubt apple would have had the level of success it has today if it were "open". :)

+1

That's exactly the point I was trying to make in the original post. According to these guys, most people who own an iPhone are either -

1) Old or stupid people who don't understand technology, or
    2) Teenagers who don't care about features (and just want to take selfies)

This is a ridiculously wrong and stereotypical assumption, and that's what irritates me the most, the way some people assume stuff about others just by the phone they use.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013