Linkin Park Association And AltWire Interview Mike Shinoda

Discussion in 'News' started by Hybrid, Nov 16, 2013.

MattLP

MattLP No control No surprise

Mike just gave it away "even if we’re able to address it on our next Linkin Park album, it’ll take more than one band to really move the needle" Linkin Park to bring rock music back to life!!!!!!!

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Seeing that, I have to agree with Decay about Mike's choice of words :lol:

No but seriously, I don't see anywhere a "I mma save rock. Call me the rock messiah right now budy!". He just made a point about trying to make the sound he misses in rock. If I read well, there is a "Even if we're able to adress it...". It's a conditionnal formula.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Controversy is good sometimes. It brings attention to the artist, and puts them in the spotlight and gets them talked about...even if that was not their original intention. Mike likely knew his comments would ignite passion in the fanbase when he offered to answer the question the way he did, but there's a reason for it. Even though Mike's comments on rock music in this interview are apparently ruffling a few feathers, look at what's happening. The interview is being talked about. People are discussing the current status of rock music. There's debates and discussion in this thread in regards to if rock music needs to change, and if the 'invisible walls' of genres should even exist in the first place. People are arguing that the band should knock down those walls and not conform to a genre.

Without realizing it; fans are unanimously supporting the whole thing Mike has been saying all along. That there can't be an invisible wall in place of moving forward, and that some ballsy choices have to be made in the name of innovation.

He's simply looking for something new, something daring and something different. And he wishes more artists would do what he's looking for. That some of the current music out there isn't quite cutting it for him, and that he wants to make the music he's striving so hard to find. Simple as that.

RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

I wonder where Living Things would fit in Mike's world.

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Right in here, m8:

:toolbox:

MattLP

Lol i know but what if just If the next LP album is really a heavy rock album, that should spark up Rock again and make it popular again.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Since I've spent a lot of time responding to other people, I'm going to say what I'm thinking about this whole thing now:

If these words he speaks, and his desire for change can be converted into actual actions on the next Linkin Park record? The next record could truly be something special. I'm happy to see Mike talking bold like this. Because it's that very desire to try something unheard of that lead to the formation of Linkin Park and the creation of Hybrid Theory.

And well, if that same mentality is going into this next record with all they've learned musically since those days? Yeah consider me pumped.

Qwerty19

Even if it ends up being heavy, I'm sure it won't be like one of those "heavy rock" albums we get from bands like Papa Roach or Avenged Sevenfold (which I both like btw). .

My point here...don't expect an "heavy rock" record, as it probably wouldn't sound anything like you can imagine anyway :p
    Freaking yes! That's exactly what I have been thinking since the begining of those statements about rock. And that makes me pumped too!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
    hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

ooh, those "other people" spitting venom at the interview too.

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

How does he sound cocky? Not only does he state that he likes those band, but he also said they don't have to make rock music. Mike is just putting out his opinion and saying what he would like to see in "rock". Also, I don't really see anything that even seems close to him inferring that Linkin Park's music is "rock."

Rebel Traj

Rebel Traj Well-Known Member

also something to be very happy about is that Mike doesn't give away much, he doesn't want to ruin the surprise, I'm really excited about the instruments they will use in the next album, normally they tend to tell a lot, and get us all excited, but I feel LP 6 is gonna be something really special! I really hope it will be some awesome progressive music.

MattLP

I think the fact that rock music nowdays doesn't exist, I think he would like to hear come alive again

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Eh I know some underground rock bands. But I don't listen to much rock anyways.

ToTheCitadel

ToTheCitadel Wisdom, Justice & Love

I've been lurking the site for a while and recently made a profile when LT was in production. I've seen a lot of comments by members over the years, and I've just got to say... Lol. A few years back, everyone was excited for LP's evolving change to something other than "stale rock music" and now that Mike has been hinting at a return to something possibly resembling their older days, it seems as if everyone's mentality has changed to "Rock music is the best and this has been a long time coming." We all know Mike's tastes change frequently, but it seems as a lot of us follow that trend a little too closely.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for LP to dangle in the paints of their past. I've been a fan of theirs since Hybrid Theory, and I consider ATS to be their best album. I too feel that rock music disappeared a long time ago, and needs to a prominent mainstream entity like LP to help itself reemerge. I just can't help but feel that people are always just blindly accepting whatever Mike says and his word becomes theirs. I just feel like Mike is very skilled in the art of persuasion.

Either way, I honestly can't wait to see what LP has in store for us.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
    Qwerty19

Hey! Where did Mike said something remotely similar to this?

If anything, he has said that he want rock to be less "stale", to take a chance and innovate (which is what is subject to controversy). That's totally different. There was no hint at a return to an older style, and that possibility was even totally rejected during a recent facebook chat.

It would even be a nonsense, because how would "Rock need innovation" = "Let's go back to a 15 year old genre"? :lol:

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

The fans in 2010: "Where is the rock music? Linkin Park has gone techno. Chester needs to scream more."

Mike Shinoda in 2013: "What is rock music's identity? Arcade Fire has gone disco. Trent Reznor whispered too much on his latest album."

When he received the same criticism in 2010 that he's dishing out in 2013, he made a giant blog post defending himself and the band's music. The band went into interviews talking about how they weren't kids jumping around on stage anymore, etc.

I remember reading someone on here once saying that they wished Mike and the rest of the band didn't feel the need to preface every album with big explanations to the press about why they're doing what they're doing. These words ring very true to me now. If the band wants to make a well thought out and heavy album, just do that and release it. Let the music do the talking. All this finger pointing makes Mike look like a hypocrite after the last few Linkin Park releases.

UNiPersona

UNiPersona previously known as STARKINATOR

I think the point is that that's Mike's current creative mindset right now. And about the rock controversy.. He's been listening to a lot of older stuff; I think it is entirely possible that the stuff he loved back then created a contrast and/or an impact on his views on what's new in the genre. Can't blame him for that, although I was kinda shocked to read his comments on Arcade Fire/NIN. LP6 has already got me pumped, though.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

^ The way that I see it, this is pretty much the point, for better or worse. Shinoda may or may not have phrased things a little awkwardly when elaborating on his point

Qwerty19

Ok, I get it now. I think you're looking at things the wrong way, because you look at Mike's comments as direct criticism towards the "mellower" artists. Maybe they really are, and then I'm the one being wrong.

But if I get the whole situation correctly, I don't think Mike is bashing stuff like Vampire Weekend, Mumford and Sons, or even Arcade Fire. I don't recall him saying one single time that rock music being soft now is bad per se. He actually said the opposite, that those "indie-pop records are some of his favorite music". To me, his statements are less about criticizing those artists that are currently making "soft" rock, and more about regretting the absence of other more energetic rock artists too.

Instead of "Vampire Weekend, you sucks because you're not making heavy music!", it's more like "Vampire Weekend, you're great. I only wish there was an artist as good as you in the heavy area"

And if I'm right, then what is so terrible about that mindset? What is so bad about wanting to hear a certain kind of sound that you don't get currently?

Then, I'll agree that the NIN/Arcade Fire comment sounds a little weird, because it seems like finger-pointing, yes. In that regards, I agree with your last paragraph about letting the music talk more.

wolflink

wolflink I feel very privileged in debt for my thirst

As a lover of rock music
    im 100% on the (mike´s)LP´s boat about the shitisness (hope this word exists) of rock nowadays

Someone of you remember???? queen, led zepellin, the eagles, rolling stones, aerosmith, minutes to midnight????
    Once i called In pieces to be the perfect example for a modern rock song
    it is not as energetic as some people might think,but it is 100% rock.

Look at other geners EDM, HOUSE, techo, to be more precise look at daft punk
    at least Get lucky and LYTD will be remembered more than other of their songs

Mike has realised that LP is assosiated to their past insted of their present