What movies did you recently watch?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Hybrid Soldier, Jun 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Metacacolypse: The Doomstar Requiem 4/10- Super disappointed, They really sacrificed writing though I'm not sure why. There was a serious lack rhythm, catch, and heaviness. The soundtrack just could not match the epic visuals and often felt forced. It was even annoying at times. The ending was rather anti climatic and it lacked in humor. All of these are stuff the these generally excel at. I know Brendon Small is a great writer. Dethalbum III is a great example of catchy, memorable music with a hint of parody. I think he would have been better off doing musical bit every once in a while instead of throughout the whole. Maybe than he wouldn't have to try and mix lyrics and dialogue which ended up being a big ear sore.

2. Maars

Maars Well-Known Member

Skyfall - 4/5

The second half of the movie is absolutely amazing. Whoever did the location scout for Skyfall deserves a medal. Although, The first half doesn't live up to the second one, I thoroughly enjoyed it and I applaud.

3. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

ParaNorman, B. Was great.

4. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - 8.5/10 - Really long, but well done. I have to admit, I was expecting a sophomore slump but this movie ended up being fantastic. I love the inevitable commentary on social subjects and the suspense of the action scenes.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  5. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

Captain Phillips, C+.

6. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - 9/10

It's a long movie, but definitely worth its time. You might think a lot of the second movie feels very familiar to the first one but there's a lot more at stake now, which makes any retreads feel different. The new characters are also much more interesting than the ones from the first movie.

The critique on today's society is great and the acting is very solid (Jennifer Lawrence just kills it with a fantastic multi-layered performance). Sure, there are some conveniences used as plotpoints but I don't think they're that bothersome because everything else is done so well (especially the more dramatic parts of the story are written/shot really well). I've heard some complaints about the ending but I think the ending's perfect.

Francis Lawrence made a very well shot movie with Catching Fire, so yeah, go see it!

Important note: no more overused shaky cam :chuck:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  7. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

NO WAY. :chocoface:

8. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

:crikey:

9. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Catching Fire 8/10- Here's my thing with these movies so far. In order to enjoy you have to have read the book but when you're watching you have to hold them separate from the books. I feel like they're very well done, edited, and there's a lot of emotional investment. But if you hold them up to the books you're gonna spend the entire movie "that happened different, this happened different, wrong. wrong. wrong (My roomate is a great example of this).

10. lime treacle

I guess that's why the first film didn't blow my mind. Maybe it would have if I hadn't read the book a couple weeks prior.

11. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

The Harry Potter movies were pretty much the same with me when it came to finding differences between book and movie, which make the movies borderline unwatchable for me.

12. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

lol I'm the guy who always watches the movie first. So I thought the first one was amazing than I read the book and rewatched it and saw why people were upset with it. It didn't make me like it less, but I understood where they were coming from.

lol I remember seeing the differences in the first couple movies but I gave up on it knowing I would just end up hating the movies.

13. lime treacle

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013) – It's so immensely satisfiying to see the cinematic potential of a book you love to have been fully taken advantage of. Some scenes were so good they gave me goosebumps ( the Quarter Quell announcement, the scene where Cinna gets beat up). To put it short, this movie is sex. 10/10

Can't wait for Mockingjay (although, honestly, I don't know why they're splitting it in two).

14. MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

I'll always have a small grudge against WB for not once, in seven films, showing the kitchen they were supposed to back in Goblet of Fire.

15. RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

Pain & Gain: 4/5

16. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Riddick - 6/10

I've always loved this character, but the movies have always been a let down. This was probably my favorite of the three. Basically just like Pitch Black. I'm really not sure what the point of the semi-reboot was.

17. Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire. 5/5 , 10/10, 100/100.

So damn good.
    I went in to this movie right after work, exhausted and almost falling asleep, but the movie was so intruging and exciting that it managed to keep me awake and thrilled for another 2 1/2 hours.
    I loved this movie, and the acting was amazing.

18. MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

[thumb]http://cdn.bloody-disgusting.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/contracted-poster.jpg[/thumb]

3 out of 5

If this really is what it is at the end, then it's a nice refresh to see the prequel to one of the most overdone genres in Hollywood today (Hint: it starts with a "z"). Otherwise, it's gut-wrenching and sick and fascinating nevertheless. Also, Najarra Townsend completely dominates the whole film, being in every scene, especially when she's alone - she's so damn good at convincing you of her absolute confusion, anger, and pain; conversely, she's not that great with other actors.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  19. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Indentity Theft 6.5/10- Generic but enjoyable none the less.

20. lime treacle

Yes, yes, yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.