Ian Watkins of Lostprophets pleads guilty to child assualt charges

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Erica, Nov 26, 2013.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Yes, he's a disgusting, monstruous son of a bitch, but he's still a person. He's put a lot of effort in lostprophets' work, along with the other members, and that factor shouldn't be discredited. Let's not forget that.

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Yeah, FSOP never sounded around here but they got plenty of airplay when Start Something came out and I was very attached to songs like Wake Up and Last Train Home, then Last Summer came in the picture as well and I couldn't help relating to it because in school we were nearing to graduation and at that time you just want to be with your friends and have a great time before going separate ways. Also 4AM Forever was a song I turned to when I had a problem with one of my best friends in highschool, we spent quite a while without speaking to each other.

Ian may be a sick bastard but us who didn't have a clue created bonds with the songs in so many particular ways. I have to say I was a "light" fan of Lostprophets, I loved the music and that was pretty much it, I can't imagine the feeling of people who were diehard fans of the band, or that had a more than special connection with part of the LPS history like yourself.

I still like the songs, I'm still reluctant to let them go, but I am also hesitant to press the "play" button. I am hurt, not as much as many of their most loyal fans, but still to some degree.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

I was never a fan of the band at all, but I don't understand boycotting their music or deleting it. There are still other members of the band and if it's in your library that means you like it at some point. I'm sure if this happened in Linkin Park it would be different.

lime treacle

What I was trying to say.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

It's not a boycotting thing for me. The music is tainted now in my opinion. I would never be able to get past it when listening to a Lostprophets song. If the remaining members of Lp make a new band I would love to listen to their new music.

I said this in the shoutbox the other day, and in NO way am I minimizing these events in any way, but if the drummer had done this I probably wouldn't have deleted them off my iTunes. It's just that when a vocalist does something like this, it feels much more personal because it's his message that you're connecting to when singing along to the lyrics. That's a bit different from a drum beat, you know?

At least that's how I feel. We all react to stuff like this differently.

_cam_

_cam_ Well-Known Member

This.

I concur.

I'm not a fan of Lostprophets but if this situation happens to Linkin Park, I would be devastated. Just imagine listening to Chester singing inspirational songs and then doing atrocious stuff, it would be awkward and weird. I feel for the other band members though as well as for the loyal fans.

As for Watkins, I think he's aware of his actions and consequences of it. He has all the resources (family, friends, fans, and money) yet he didn't seek for help or what instead he took advantage of it. He deserves nothing.

SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

I agree, it has a lot to do with his being the frontman. He's the first and most obvious thing you notice from a song. That's quite a bit different from if the bassist had been charged in child sex crimes.

And hey, I wish I didn't feel that way; I wish I could go on and feel like I can continue listening to their songs in spite of him. But it just makes me feel sick to listen to now. That may sound overwrought or cheesy or whatever, but it's true - hearing him sing just makes me feel sick now.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

(source)

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I thought this was satirical when I first read the headline.

(source)

Mirror Online has a timeline recap of the sentencing with "live updates" here, which obviously provides more details about the proceedings.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

I don't even know what to say.

Hans Muster

Hans Muster Well-Known Member

Wow, something is incredibly wrong with him. And I don't even mean the paedophilia.

SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

I don't know what bothers me more: his being clearly disturbed, or the fact that his ex's accusations were ignored for so long.

chris2

chris2 Smiling At Strangers On Trains LPA Super Member

lime treacle

Sentenced to 35 years.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Jesus christ, it gets worse and worse.

Enjoy the next 35 years Ian, you sick fuck.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

What a sick fucker! He should've gotten life sentence or death penalty!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
    Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Agreed.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Na, when he is released in 35 years (assuming he fulfils his entire sentance) he'll be in his 70s and just waiting to die any way.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

There is no point in keeping a monster like him alive with tax payers' money. Seriously, his head needs to be a fucking spike.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

No, I can't support the death penalty. Not for him, not for anyone else.

The UK is a modernized country that no longer participates in the barbaric act of capital punishment, but in the US where we're behind modern times, it costs more to execute someone than to give them life in prison, so the tax payers money argument isn't valid.