Why is Linkin Park considered "mainstream"?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Xero-G, Dec 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Dan-e-o

Dan-e-o Member

Linkin Park is "mainstream" by the very definition, they're on a major label, every time their albums drop, they enter no. 1 and radio play. However, though they are mainstream but, they're not lady gaga-bieber-kanye mainstream. You don't see them at every award show. The causal Listener might not consider them mainstream. Speaking of the casual listener, maybe that casual listener, listend to LP during the Hybrid Theory days but stop listening to them and nowadays when they come across a LP song, what reaction they might have? "I remember them." If a LP fan says "they need to go back to their old sound." Why would a causal listener say any different? However, at the same time Linkin Park has ties wit the underground. reffering to mike shinoda. He's worked wit styles of beyond, apathy and celph titled. (Who are rappers that I listen to) I guess what I'm saying is there are certain levels of mainstream.

SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

They're on mainstream radio. Ergo, mainstream band.

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

They have more facebook fans than Justin Bieber and One Direction.

That is all.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

61 million>58 million, if I remember correctly.

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Never mind.

They had more likes than Justin Bieber. I remember he had only 56 million likes a few months ago.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

I know what you meant, but the word only made me laugh. :lol:

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

Linkin Park is considered mainstream because Linkin Park is mainstream.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

[​IMG]

(not being sarcastic)

Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

I'm not sure that this answers my question :hmm: but this thread has given me a much better understanding as to why the band is called mainstream. I was previously under the impression that formulaic structures alone weren't enough to label LP mainstream but did not consider popularity through social media. In my opinion, the band deserves the attention and success it has achieved over the years due to its talent and unique sound that always sounds fresh each album.

Pay-per-cut

Pay-per-cut Well-Known Member

Many people have different defintions of "mainstream" You can take the meme approach and look at it as popular enough to the majority knows what you are talking about.

An other definition is if it simply hits the radio, some may say it has become mainstream.

If it has a huge record label, some may say it can also mean it is mainstream.

Mainstream can just be a copout to something that just doesn't fit your taste for various reasons and so for the rest of your life, it will just be an ongoing argument on what is mainstream and what isn't. Just like politics and abortion.

cloudscream

cloudscream Static

If it has no hipster cred, it's mainstream. LP can sing Justin Bieber songs or play neo-prog-post-trip-hop-not-a-real-genre, it really doesn't matter.

Don't bother. Labels are for pretentious wanksters.

Blackened

Blackened Blackened Symphony

Why is Justin Bieber considered "mainstream"?

cloudscream

cloudscream Static

^Not hipster material.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Come on. Do you really think that the only way something is considered mainstream is if the hipsters (and I don't even know what that word means anymore to be honest) don't like it? That's ridiculous. Something is mainstream if it is hugely popular. Well-known, of-the-norm type stuff. Linkin Park clearly falls into that category. So does Justin Bieber. So does Eminem.

Hans Muster

Hans Muster Well-Known Member

So death metal is hipster material? Not my definition of hipster.

steveparish

steveparish Member

Because they are rocking at 'tours' and are owned by a record label.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Asking why a majorly successful band is considered mainstream is like asking why the fly is dining on poo. Needless to say, I dont see a reason why this thread needs to remain open. Linkin Park will not win you "hipster cred" unless you were a fan of theirs before Hybrid Theory was recorded. As a fan, you should get that and not care about being a hipster. My history with the band goes back to around August of 1999, but you dont see me rubbing that in everyone's face all of the time. No one likes a hipster. Dont be a hipster.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I know the thread is closed but I just want to add this in here: I get mocked on a daily basis for liking Linkin Park at my job because they're 'as mainstream as Nickelback', and even suffer through "but in the end it doesn't matter" puns to the point it's eye-roll inducing.

Linkin Park haven't had hipster or street cred since about 2005-2006. It's just the way it is. As long as you like the music, who the hell cares if everyone thinks they're mainstream or the worst band in the universe. It's about what YOU like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.