What movies did you recently watch?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Hybrid Soldier, Jun 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris2

chris2 Smiling At Strangers On Trains LPA Super Member

Insidious: Chapter 2

I loved the first one and thought that #2 was even better and scarier. It contains various jump scares, some which almost made me fall out of my bed^^
    The haunting atmosphere and the plot line surely captured me. I like how Chapter 2 builds on the first movie and continued the story of the Lambert family.
    Overall it's a thrill-ride from beginning to end, hardly allowing you to catch some breath. Insidious is definitely one of my favorite current Horror-movie franchises.

Score 9/10

2. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

American Hustle 7.5/10- pretty good, good writing, good acting, good twist, kinda funny. I was mostly in it for Jennifer Lawrence, who was good. Good good good.

3. SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

Watching Good Will Hunting now, this is a fucking treasure. Why don't we have movies like this anymore?

4. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Because Ben Affleck is busy being Batman and Matt Damon just finished a movie with George Clooney. :p

5. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Wreck-It-Ralph - 9/10

A very well done story with a very enjoyable cast of characters. The cameos always succeeded to make me smile and the whole premise of the movie is pretty creative (think Toy Story, but with videogames). They did a great job with the villain as well! In short, a very enjoyable movie with a smart story, filled with humor and drama.

Brave - 7/10

An okay movie. Nothing more, nothing less. It has some strong moments here and there but the message it's trying to get across just isn't that interesting to me. The humor is either hit or miss for me. But it got some good laughs out of me nonetheless. It has an interesting story, but I think they could've done a lot more with it.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - 8/10

Andy Serkis is a beast. Quite literally in this movie. Or is he? Andy Serkis' multi-dimensional performance gave Ceasar tons of personality and makes you care for him from the moment you see him on screen. You understand his motives as you see what he goes through and well.. I was rooting for him. Even though he ends up being the one attacking people. I also liked James Franco's side of the story, although I must say that Franco might not have been the best choice for this role. Overall, very enteraining movie with solid acting, especially from Andy Serkis, who steals the show.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  6. Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug.

Good movie, but holy shit that ending is abrupt.
    Story wise it would make sense to end there and keep us in suspense, but it could have been executed better.

7. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug: B+. So much better than the first. Smaug
    was the absolute fucking shit and I am so happy... they didn't kill him straight up in
    this film. I kinda see the value in three films now, rather than two.

EDIT: MAKE SURE TO PUT SPOILERS IN TAGS

EDIT 2: OH SHIT YEAH MY MISTAKE SOZ <3

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  8. Anonymous Person

Anonymous Person You promised me flesh!

Desolation Of Smaug: 5/5 Legolas was B.A. in this film. And the she-elf was hot. Loved what they did with Smaug's design. New Zealand has beautiful terrain.

9. Maars

Maars Well-Known Member

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 3/5

MV5BMTcwNTE4MTUxMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDIyODM4OA@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

Average movie nowhere near the LOTR trilogy. The journey itself wasn't as adventurous and breathtaking as any of the LOTR movies. Some of the main characters were forgettable and uninteresting, althoug Martin Freeman was perfect.

10. MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

Lol, look at all these pirates downloading the DVD screener for Desolation of Smaug :p

It's Oscar season!

11. RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

The Wolf of Wall Street: 4/5

12. MKH

Frozen - 4 out of 5

As far as morals go, there's nothing new here, but as is the case with Disney movies, it's heart-warming. You know, despite it's name and plot...

13. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Wake Up, Ron Burgundy: The Lost Movie (2004) – Watched it to laugh and it lived up to my expectations. Pretty good for a movie made out of outtakes and abandoned subplots. 7/10

14. Maars

Maars Well-Known Member

World War Z - 3/5

world-war-z-poster03.jpg

One of the better movies about the zombies, but it was still too dull. The characters were enetering and leaving the story and I didn't really care about the majority of them. At the same time, it was well-paced, Brad Pitt was a good choice and I think I'm in love with Daniella Kertesz. :)

15. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Anchorman 2: 7.5/10- Shouldn't go in expecting it to be as funny as the first but still really funny.

16. Sunset

Sunset Well-Known Member

Fruitvale Station: 9/10 on the edge of crying for the last 20 minutes. It hit me very hard, because I didn't know the story.

17. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

3096 Days (2013) – It could have been far better and it could have been far worse. This is a film about the kidnapping and captivity of Natascha Kampusch.
    First I hated the sexual aspect of the movie because I have read Natascha's book, where, if I remember correctly, she explicitly says Wolfgang Priklopil did not rape her during the 8 year captivity. I've found this interesting and an important part of the story, so I was disappointed in the film when it showed the contrary, as it wasn't just a deviation from what happens in the book, but also a deviation from what happened in reality. But now I learn that a week before the film's release, Kampusch admitted that Priklopil had, indeed, raped her.
    As this is a German English-language film, some of the accents were a bit off, Danish actor Thure Lindhardt (Priklopil)'s especially, so there were some unintentionally comical moments, but the main problem with the film is that it could have been executed better. The end doesn't feel as liberating as I thought it should. But there are some quite effective scenes. 7/10

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  18. MKH

^ That sounds intense.

19. Anonymous Person

Anonymous Person You promised me flesh!

Tombstone- 8/10
    The acting in this film was quite entertaining. Val Kilmer was very comical, and Kurt Russell gave a very emotion-driven part. Showdown between Doc and Ringo was the best part.

20. Maars

Maars Well-Known Member

Rush - 5/5

Rush-IMAGE-Poster.jpg

Niki Lauda and James Hunt. Niki, he's self-controled, confident, ambitious and a bit of a loner. James, he's unpredictable, irresponsible, hot-headed and women love him. Two opposites, two great F1 drivers from 70's. When beating the other one means more than becoming a champion. A rivalry at its best.

Personally, I enjoyed every minute of it. Especially, the second part feels like a train full of emotions hitting you every second. And every time Daniel Brühl and Chris Hemsworth had a scene together, I was literally glued to the screen. Rush deserves at least an oscar nomination if not more.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.