What is the most underrated Linkin Park album?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by PikachuFuck, Feb 17, 2014.

?

Most underrated album?

1. Hybrid Theory

3.0%
  2. Meteora

10.4%
  3. Minutes To Midnight

31.3%
  4. A Thousand Suns

41.8%
  5. Living Things

13.4%
    Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Copied straight from the Linkin Park Six thread.

Your words.

PikachuFuck

PikachuFuck Banned

In any case, the second half of Living Things does not sound like A Thousand Suns in my opinion.

Gibs

Fair enough. It doesn't sound like ATS sonically, but the 2nd half carries over the experimentation found there, which is why I considered it the proper follow up, not all the Burn It Down variations from the first half.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Hammer don't hurt em!

PikachuFuck

PikachuFuck Banned

I see where you're coming from, i'd say Castle Of Glass could and Until It Breaks could fit on A Thousand Suns with a little tweaking, those are my two favorites from the can.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Until it Breaks sounds like a shittier attempt at "ATS experimentation", and Skin to Bone I could see fitting on there pretty well.

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

I've been around the internet as much as the next guy, and it is very much evident that Meteora, LIVING THINGS, and Hybrid Theory are very popular outside of LPA (excluding Hybrid Theory from those 3). With that said, I've seen a ton of hate for A Thousand Suns more so than Minutes To Midnight. I have friends who don't like ATS and haven't even bothered listening to the album or listened to The Catalyst and assumed the whole album would come out the same, while MTM is pretty much a neutral album with a few standout songs people enjoy like What I've Done, Given Up, and Bleed It Out.

ATS for me.

ernieball003

ernieball003 Well-Known Member

I don't agree on Hybrid Theory being under-rated because, if anything, as I run for cover, it's over-rated.

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Yeah. Just visit the comment section of a Linkin Park video on YouTube or album reviews on iTunes, hell even look at the comments on Mike and Linkin Park's Instagram photos, majority of the people absolutely HATE A Thousand Suns, while they act like Hybrid Theory (especially) and Meteora were absolute masterpieces.

My vote is A Thousand Suns.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Lol its funny cause I forget that we're a pretty poor representation of the rest of the fan base. I'd like to think we're (or most of us) are more musically literate than the folk who think that meteora is the bands magnum opus. Im gonna have to agree with everything Broman said and say ATS.

Gibs

Essentially, we're the hipsters of the Linkin Park fan base, lol. :lol: Like you said, I forget most people hold Meteora in such high regard. Funny things is, if Linkin Park would have continued on with their Nu-Metal sound for the third LP, people would still accuse them of selling out, and ask for something different for a change. If they would have continued with Nu-Metal, I really believe they wouldn't be around anymore. People are just so weird. If you continue with your current sound, you get bashed. If you do something different, you get bashed.

ernieball003

ernieball003 Well-Known Member

So you might as well just do whatever you want to do and get bashed.

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

these kind of conversations are so bland and have been done to death.

Spiderguy252

Spiderguy252 Awaiting LP in India

Yep, in the sense that folks love to hate on the album merely because it's a part 2 and they want to look and sound 'kewl' raving about the original (Hybrid Theory) and despising any reincarnations of it. Meteora was and is a solid album.

On topic, either one of Reanimation or A Thousand Suns for mine.

stormrider2

stormrider2 UNWANTED TRUTH

I do not know why A Thousand Suns was hated. I personally enjoyed A Thousand Suns. It was like a musical journey if you listened to the whole album from beginning to end. The tracks had great feeling to them and all of them gave me goosebumps when I listened to them. That was a powerful album and bought out emotions in me.

Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

You forgot the fact that the song-writing sucked so much ass

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

But doesn't "Hybrid Theory" show the same faults?

Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Yup. It's just more repetitive and less inspired on Meteora.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

I chose Minutes To Midnight because in pretty much all camps of Linkin Park fandom, whether thats LPA users, LPL users, LPUers, casual fans, ATS/progressive fans, nu-metal/pop fans, rap fans, etc., no one really seems to hold that album in really high regard. There's no big section of fans claiming that Minutes To Midnight is the best album they've done; at best, it's usually "pretty good" or a "necessary step." Not enough rap for some, not enough intensity for some, too poppy for some. You have to find people individually who have it as their favorite.

I go through phases where I think Minutes To Midnight is the best pop album the band has written. It has variety (No More Sorrow vs In Between), but also a consistency ("organic" band instrumentation). Though it does have lyrical low points (Given Up, What I've Done), the lyrical high points are some of the band's best. Leave Out All The Rest, as light and poppy as it sounds, is really dark lyrically. It's like a giant existential crisis and wondering about the bigger picture of life, your role in it, and how you've affected others and the rest of the world. A lot more meaningful than the usual *woe is me, you hurt me and I'm sad* type stuff. In Between is hopelessly romantic and regretful. The verses of Valentine's Day deal with mourning the death of a loved one.

So that's my pick.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Fixed.