Studio Daily Interviews Ghost Town Media On Making The Music Video For A Light That Never Comes

Discussion in 'News' started by Hybrid, Feb 26, 2014.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Studio Daily sat down with Ghost Town Media to find out more about the music video for "A LIGHT THAT NEVER COMES." The interview, which can be found in it's entirety here, takes a look behind the scenes of the music video to give a better understanding of the concept, artwork and tools used to "wrangle a monster." Check out the interview to find out “What happens if you take something tangible from our world and inject it into a cyber world.”

[youtube]ToHo29kD9Go[/youtube]​

What did you think of the interview? Did you check out the music video and the short "Making The Video" after? Tell us about it in our forums!

Source: Studio Daily, Ghost Town Media via Ryan R

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Wait ... so did they still use Dells in the end?

Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

They're working with Ghost Town Media? Who envisioned a Visual Album for LP6? Maybe so , Maybe not... We'll see

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

I just want Ghost Town Media to make good use of their tools (or maybe the promoting team, or whoever is in charge of that). The Living Things art is great but it was overwhelmingly underused. I feel like they make such an effort in making intricate models that end up being just a picture and then move on. And in ALTNC the whole concept of the city wasn't discernible at all in the video, let alone the "districts", if you have to tell us what does everything mean then maybe you didn't do a good job portraying it on the video.

It's like they try too hard, "oh look, we can do complicated shit!".

minuteforce

I loved those headshots of the band members that were released but they weren't used in the booklet (or anything else) at all >.< - I remember the sinking feeling I had when I realised that.

The "Living Things" album artwork was really boring, especially compared to what we saw in "A Thousand Suns". Fitting, I guess

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Exactly my thoughts. They did things way better on ATS (ironic), things were just clearer and not overly complex. Just think of their work on "The Catalyst" music video: that shit was great (still one of their best vids imo)! The art on LT was great but indeed extremely overused. Not to mention that the LT cd-booklet was pretty underwhelming, knowing the art.

So yeah, I hope they're gonna either scale down what they want to do, to make it more focused, or actually use all the effort they put into it. Either that or maybe start working with another group of artists, guys.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

When those came out, I loved them. Now I look at them, and just think: ''Wow, this is bad''.

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

I really enjoyed Ghost Town Media's work during the A Thousand Suns era. Their brand of complexity and distortion really tied in well with the overall vibe of the album. However, I have to agree with Andreina's comments about the A Light That Never Comes video. You watch the behind the scenes and see all the creative work that went into making this elaborate city with each member having their own district (reminiscent of 8 Bit Rebellion). Unfortunately, though, all that work seemed to go to waste because it's very difficult to recognize the sections of the city. It seems GTM's main artistic tool is creating glitch-y art, I just hope they don't overdo it again.

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

I wanted to say exactly this, but at the moment I didn't know how. Completely agree.

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

It all comes down to their hard work simply not coming through, ultimately making it a waste of time. Sure, they built a city with different, distinct ares for ALTNC, but that really didn't make the video any better. Which raises the question: was it even needed to begin with?

So, like I said earlier, it's best that they scale things down and actually make it realistically possible for them to showcase their hard work instead of wasting precious work hours by making everything overly complex. Making things complex is good, but ALTNC is the best example of going overboard with it.

minuteforce

Yeah, I don't think that they're bad - again, I just wish that they'd been used in the booklet but I guess I can understand that

Mmm. When the making-of video is somehow cooler-looking than the actual final video, something has gone wrong.

Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

There's too much stuff going on in the video that makes any actual details hard to make out.