Mike Shinoda Gives Details on Self Produced Album: Loud, Energetic and Coming This Summer

Discussion in 'News' started by Kevin, Mar 5, 2014.

Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

After the announcement of The Carnivores Tour yesterday, Mike and Tomo from 30 Seconds To Mars took part in various radio interviews. They discussed the upcoming The Carnivores Tour, the new Linkin Park album and various other topics.

Check out the the highlights from the interviews below:

WAAF INTERVIEW:

• Mike mentioned his Pigeons and Planes article. He says that he wants to get the energy started in the music again.
    • Mike can’t say much about the music. He says talking about it would be as "dancing to a painting."
    • Mike has been "dead on social media" because they've been busy working on the album.
    • Mike takes the blame for the Tour name and said that Jared Leto was unsure about the name for the tour as he is vegan. Rob is also vegan.
    • Mike has played most of the guitar on the ”latest albums”, because Brad has not wanted to. Mike motivated him for this album by saying ”do something that would make the 16 year old you want to learn to play guitar".
    • The band decided to go without an outside producer on this album and produce it alone. They had a clear vision and didn't feel the need for guidance. The band's vision for the album was self-contained so they didn't feel like they needed to work with Rick Rubin on this album but they may work with him again.

FM 94/9 INTERVIEW:

• The tour is named Carnivores Tour because of the sound of the album. (This hints at the title of The Hunting Party)
    • On their first tour the band was not liked by the headliners, when One Step Closer became popular the treatment got even worse.
    • They make sure to treat their co-headliners, opening acts, crew and everyone part of the show well, because they believe it reflects in the whole show and pushes their performances to be better.

98ROCK INTERVIEW

• They are excited for the tour.
    • The album WILL be out this summer and they WILL play new music.
    • LPTV episodes of the studio time will eventually come, EVERYTHING has been filmed.
    • Mike will get Dave back on whatever he makes him wear because of the contest.

Source: MikeShinodaClan | WAFF | FM 94/9 | 98 Rock

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

IN!

Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

"Mike motivated him for this album by saying ”play what the 16 year old you would want to hear.”"

NOT A GOOD SIGN.

Edit: The above quote was from an undetied version of the article, and upon listening to the radio review proper and LPA having changed it, this post is no longer valid.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
    Blake

Hunting party confirmed pretty much!

RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

Yeah, seriously. Mike made Brad sound like a total bitch. Playing guitar is his job. I hope that it's more or less taken out of context. :lol:

Elaine

Agreed.

Blake

I think I like your pre-edited post better!

Oliver

Oliver Spela Shoreline!

The part about Brad not wanting to play guitar feels kinda strange. Does it mean he has done other things, or a lot less things on the recordings? Also, I'm not sure that "playing what a 16 years old would like to hear" is a good thing...

Blake

Oh, and Good Job Kevin on first news post! :)

A Wretched King

A Wretched King Foreword

Sounds like another Meteora. Which I'm cool with. I just hope they're GOOD SONGS. I don't want this album to sound like a bunch of jam sessions. I wonder if Brad did anything on this album. Seems like Mike did most of the work (and producing).

Blake

I'm ok with another Meteora as long as their is also growth in it

Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

In interviews leading up to both ATS and LT, Brad has said that he has been less and less involved with the guitars and actually done more on the producing side.

Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

I'm also confused by Mike's statement about Brad. I think it may have been taken out of context slightly, as these were likely main points or points of interest in each interview. Either way, I hope to hear more complex or unique guitar parts in this new album.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

I just hope Brad isn't all that passive.

Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

MIKE BE LIKE, SHIT BRAD, GET IT TOGETHER

Elaine

I hope we get some elaboration on that particular comment so it feels less Don Gilmore-ey.

BLACKOUT

BLACKOUT Well-Known Member

What Mike means is, he wants Brad to play what 16 year old Brad would want to hear.

Blake

Inb4ItWasClassicalAndRnB

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Okay, before I write what I'm going to write, I want to include a disclaimer. What am I about to say has NOTHING to do with the whole "heavy" vs "soft" or "old" vs "new" Linkin Park sound debates. What I'm going to talk about is Mike.

Right after Living Things came out, I don't remember the exact timeframe, Mike did a radio interview in which he condemned people who called songs they don't like "gay." And I was really glad he did this, because it seems like there are quite a few Linkin Park fans (although they are usually the more casual ones) who stoop to ridiculous "insults" like that.

So fast forward to now. In one of the three interviews included in the OP, Mike says that songs on the radio "make him think of words you can't say on the air." I am pretty sure the word he was going for was "pussy." Which is maybe about one notch above calling something "gay."

Are you fucking kidding me? Mike Shinoda is pandering to the dudebros of the internet so hard that he is going on a radio station and saying that music on the radio is too soft or herbivorous? Up until not even two years ago, Mike was totally unconcerned with "issues" like this. Now he wants to act like some sort of "outsider" to mainstream music? Mike IS the radio. His band has sold millions worldwide. These are the same people that made In The End, Numb, What I've Done, New Divide, shit they just wrote and released Burn It Down and Castle of Glass less than two years ago.

Is Mike really that two-faced? This is starting to make me wonder if we've ever heard a genuine explanation from Mike as to where the band's inspiration comes from. There's no way Mike just naturally "changed" between Living Things and now. In Linkin Park Chat, I talked about how every album seems to have a big narrative and list of buzzwords that goes with it. Is that really the case? Is every album cycle just a bunch of cold hard marketing from the band members? Like, A Thousand Suns is gonna be our "experimental album," better tell the press about how mainstream music is like junk food and how the band needs to progress to thrive as artists. Oh, album 6 is gonna be heavy with guitars? Better start talking about how mainstream music isn't heavy enough.

I don't know, this is really disheartening. Mike just looks like a salesman now.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Indeed, hahaha.

@Brandon: If you were to tell that to Mike, he probably would not be able to remember half the quotes you posted. He's done hundreds of interviews throughout the years, and you're picking up on all these random things he's said. You make a point, but I'm sure Mike would be stoked if he read your post.

You might have a memory for this, but I doubt he does. This is a person who once thought the first track on Meteora was "Wake".