Mike Shinoda Gives Details on Self Produced Album: Loud, Energetic and Coming This Summer

Discussion in 'News' started by Kevin, Mar 5, 2014.

cradle

cradle Foreword LPA VIP

I would seriously like to go :alf: in this thread, but half of the people in here are just making noise over a couple interviews. Stating biased comments over shit that doesn't even exist.

IMP757

IMP757 Well-Known Member

Me neither, I think it's a bit of an overreaction to be honest.

tripleh3lix

tripleh3lix Well-Known Member

I'm still not impressed, I'm actually bummed. I am at home with health issues, so can't attend any concerts this year as I don't have the money and am broke. Even if I did, a concert isn't a concert for me after experiencing the pit in 2012. Secondly, I'm not impressed with any news specially with this last batch of interviews. Guitars, awesome. The interviews make it seem like we won't be hearing any new music for a while, and when they say it will be released this Summer and it seems further away than June this time around.

Secondly, I just hope they didn't hype us up for a tour. A single is fine and a new song is here and gone for a movie. An album.. lasts years and the hype for it is massive. I was hoping to hear news about this later, as I really honestly feel lyrically and production wise, Living Things was their worst album now that it's been almost 2 years. I hate the wait for a LP album, I just really liked the work they put into M2M and ATS, and the wait between them was about 3 and a half years. I played it for a few LP fans ( that I got them into them) and they listened to each album backwards (Living things, ATS, and M2M), they said the albums got better as they got played backwards. I just hope this time, we don't have songs like Skin To Bone, Victimized, and I'll Be Gone. I like Victimized... but eh. This album just felt like their shortest, and their lyrics seemed to go a bit flat.

I DO have faith though.. Mike Shinoda did produce Fort Minor and had a hand in ATS/LT. I would be surprised if we got something a bit great. I understand they are in studio a year and a half each time, but it just feels like the ATS AND M2M had more work put into them is all.

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood today, but this is the way I feel. My favorite LP album is probably ATS. Lyrically, Minutes to Midnight was beast.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
    Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

Regardless of what we say, most of us are going to buy the album and buy tickets to see them live. Mike is promoting his new album. What, do you expect him to say, "The new album is shit, we're just putting it out because we're on our deadline." Of course he's going to up-talk his album. Also, he's not dissing other artists. He's saying he thinks there's a missing element in today's music, and he's hoping to bring some of that back (I guess it's energy?). Let's not jump the gun here and attack Mike. Just wait until May-June and throw your money at the band like we're all going to anyway.

shwcobb

shwcobb 持ち上げて 解き放して

Yes.
    It's one thing to make a serious critique based on your personal taste in music or person's actions, and it's quite another to just talk sh*t after reading 2 bullet-points. For someone calling him/herself an LP fan, I'd expect a little more trust in the band, especially in Mike. This is not a personal verbal attack of any kind, I'm making a general statement.

Mark_LP

Mark_LP in my fear and flaws..i let myself down again

Mike seems very proud of the album, hence his change of attitude in promoting it.
    All in all that isn't bad, at all, it's good if anything.

RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

He specifically called out Arcade Fire for "going disco" and Nine Inch Nails for "whispering too much". It isn't an insult by itself, but now with all this shit about what rock is missing and how *insert words too foul for radio here* today's music is, it becomes an insult to the bands.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

We can literally do and say as we please and still call ourselves Linkin Park fans.

tripleh3lix

tripleh3lix Well-Known Member

Yet, they went dubstep/techno with ALTNC. :sheldon:

Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

No one is misunderstanding Mike. We're pointing out how hypocritical it is that he's calling the current rock scene herbivorous as if he's not partly responsible for it or that he wants to bring back "real" rock music like he isn't the founding member of its antithesis. Yeah, yeah, yeah, critics aren't shit, whatever. The fact is that as far as credibility within the genre goes, Linkin Park are in the same league as say, My Chemical Romance. They are not Radiohead. They're not Nine Inch Nails, they're not Queens of the Stone Age and they're not Arcade Fire. They haven't earned the right to dictate where rock music should be nor have they proven themselves capable of actually writing music that could do that, at least on a consistent basis. I've said it before, but this is like Big Sean writing a dumbed down version of Kendrick's "Control" verse.

shwcobb

shwcobb 持ち上げて 解き放して

I disagree, but whatever.
    Now let's stop this pissing contest and enjoy the announcement we're going to hear tomorrow. Night.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Welp.

1)Nothing bad about the Brad comment. The only deal here is that he motivated Brad to pick up the guitar again and to being an inspirational player. He didn't force anything, and as it has already being said, he doesn't want Brad to write guitar parts pandering to 16-year old kids. Man, the whole concept is even stupid....a guitar part pandering to 16 year old kids? Does that even make any sense? Like, "Oh, this guitar part is probably adressed to 43 years old women. And this one, hum, to 8 year old kids!" :lol:

2) About Mike critics on current Rock music: he has every damn right to be frustrated about the current state of whatever music genre. As everyone of you have the right to not be happy with a particular music genre or record or song or whatever.

3) About hypocrisy and cockiness :

-> hypocrisy : nope. At worst he has just changed his mind since some years ago. The real hypocrisy here would be to not express his real thoughts

-> cockiness: now maybe he's overdoing it, true. Linkin Park isn't exactly a band that has contributed a lot to "energetic rock music" lately. So to call out rock artists for their lack of punch is a little too much.

4) Marketing / Hype strategy: there's probably some of that in all those narratives, yep. But then I'm surprised some of you guys just happened to discover that now. All those interviews during the ATS era were so obviously destined at hyping people with such words as "genrebusting", "cutting-edge", "polarizing". And LT selled the deal with the "toolbox" thing. I just don't see how it is new that Mike is hyping things up with buzz words, and why it would bother some of you now while you seemed to enjoy his big speeches some years ago.

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

#wimpy

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

That was one song on a remix album. That's nothing I would call representative of their creative vision going forward.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Actually I agree. Mike has the right to say whatever he wants

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

cool.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

How about people refrain from knocking the new music before they hear it? Just saying. You guys could be blown away.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Frigid

Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

The amount of "too much reading into a quote" happening here is crazy. I think everyone is misinterpreting what mike is saying.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Agreed.