Mike Shinoda Gives Details on Self Produced Album: Loud, Energetic and Coming This Summer

Discussion in 'News' started by Kevin, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Here's a thought. FUCK THE RADIO. Who cares if what's getting airplay right now isn't guys in drag with guitar solos wailing in the background anymore? There are plenty of places you can get contemporary rock music that meets your standards of intensity or whatever the fuck you want. Go read some blogs. Join a different forum. Take the most experimental band on your iPod, enter its name into Pandora and see what you get. Stop letting a bunch of corporate mooks at WMG or Universal or Atlantic decide for you.

2. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

And I agree with you on this one

3. cradle

cradle Foreword LPA VIP

So noz morezz TECHNOZ???? WTF happened to LP????

MY DOG LOVES THIS LP SONG

[video=youtube;PJxxcUMvsXE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJxxcUMvsXE[/video]

4. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Oh, I do. I wish I didn't because that was possibly the worst period in rock music. Nu-metal is and has always been fucking garbage I can't believe there people who still can't admit that to themselves.

5. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Hey let's not have everybody be entitled to their opinion

6. Qwerty19

Yep, some respect of people musical tastes would be nice. I personnally totally get how nu-metal was simplistic, angsty, and all of that stuff. I know what the genre is all about. I still enjoy some of those tracks, nevertheless. If you wanna go ahead and call it bullshit, fine. Then, I'm fine with the idea of enjoying bullshit.

Back on topic, excited about the new record, and hopefully it will live up to those big claims Mike has been saying.

7. Maars

Maars Well-Known Member

Mike Shinoda is a human being. Every morning, he wakes up, scratches his ass, goes to the bathroom, takes a shower and then does all the rest. When he watches a game, he screams at the TV, honks at old ladies crossing streets and when he's drunk, he possibly makes awful jokes about disabled people. He takes shits just like everyone else and he shaves his armpits just like everyone else (hopefully). He's a person and I suppose it's hard to come to terms with it, when "the God" doesn't act so godly.

He's been doing charity since 2005, maybe even before that. He's active online, talks to his fans, brings them closer to the band. He's outgoing, friendly and a down to earth guy. However, after three interviews, all of a sudden, he's a hypocritical cunt. If these were the worst things he's ever said, I should be burning in agony in hell for the shit i've said in my life.

Guys, we should all just calm down and rub one out. It helps, trust me.

P.S. Please, don't ban me for this. Thank You. :sweating:

8. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm not saying he shouldn't be entitled to his opinion. I'm saying that looking back fondly on nu-metal is on par with saying the Beatles suck.

9. A Wretched King

A Wretched King Foreword

LP already said fuck the radio with ATS. That's not the point though. The point is LP wants to change the mainstream again. Shove rock back into the picture. LP knows they're mainstream as hell and radio listeners will buy their new album.

10. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

THIS. SO MUCH! There is plenty of great modern rock to be had. You've just gotta dig a little bit deeper.

[video=youtube;zgz_vmwEp_0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgz_vmwEp_0[/video]

11. ernieball003

ernieball003 Well-Known Member

So being motivated to try to bring some fucking balls back into rock n' roll is a bad thing?

12. Qwerty19

Another one of those interviews:

http://www.dc101.com/media/podcast-interviews-and-performances-roche/mike-shinoda-i-miss-music-with-24433140/

Mike really clears things up in this one IMO. A really interesting part is this one

He's also talking about how the relationship with the label is really fine right now, and how the next album sound won't be obvious or what people expect, and will push the enveloppe.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  13. Twisted Smage

Twisted Smage The hardest part of ending is starting again.

Back to the Brad situation, I can see why he may have shied away from guitar since production can offer more variety in sounds. I get he wants pursue creating more new sounds. However, that's the beauty of Linkin Park. Mike can incorporate more guitar into a song while Brad can add more layers through production. As shown, LP isn't confined to any "box" they should sound like and that's what I love about them. As for Mike switching gears on what music he is striving for, I also totally get that. I go through "waves" of what I'm really into. One month I'm in a Mac Miller rap phase while the next I switch to all pop-punk, then to indie, then to some A Day to Remember. Mike's current phase is wanting to reinvigorate rock music by not necessarily making it heavy, but giving it a sense of energy that can once again give it some relevance in mainstream music. Which isn't bad because I wish people could listen to the great music that I and so many of us love that many are missing out on. So in short, relax and have faith in the guy.

14. l4g_testify

l4g_testify Well-Known Member

Exactly! You sir took the words out of my mouth. People need to chill it's nothing to be trippin about

15. Fleur de Lys

Fleur de Lys Well-Known Member

Wow, so many people are misunderstanding every word Mike said. I'm really kind of shocked reading some of these reactions. As a 22 year old guitarist myself, there is something really humbling about inspiring a young teenage kid to pick up the guitar. There is a certain innocence to the way that kid perceives your playing, it's beautiful. He couldn't have said a better thing to inspire Brad, which is really part of his job as a producer. This doesn't mean that he should play heavy guitar that a 16-year old could play. It means to play something inspiring, which is really something the guitar-department of LP has been lacking for a long time in my opinion. Not just heavy. Inspiring and interesting. And believe me, heavy/energetic guitar can be that too. So I'm not worried at all, I'm stoked. This wont be HT/Meteora sounding at all, it will probably sound fresh, just exploring the heavier areas of theirs sound instead of the electronic.

And like it or not, you will always make music with some kind of notion of where it's going to fit in todays scene. Writing music just for yourself is bullshit, especially in a big band like theirs. I'm glad they got rid of that idea. Music is a form of communication, and you will always be thinking of the receiving end when writing, at least unconsciously. Fact.

And he is not saying that there's anything wrong with the bands playing mellow rock music, in fact he says he likes them. Not cocky at all. He just feels like there is a void for some heavier stuff and that's what he wants to play right now. No one is "responsible" for softer rock, because there is nothing to responsible for, nothing wrong about it. So the fact that their music has been softer with MtM and ATS doesn't mean they aren't allowed to explore their heavy side now.

And stop calling them buzz-words. It's not just marketing. Being in a band myself, in writing sessions you will try to articulate some kind of a vision for your next release along the way. Within your band. To get direction in your writing. To add a sense of identity to your next work. Of course he is going to use those words now in interviews. What are you expecting him to do? To explain it in a new way for every interview? This is their current headspace and he is just trying to let you in on it.

16. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I look at this like nerdcore. That whole subgenre came about because nerds wanted their own scene to rap about Nintendo and sci-fi, but the people who started it ignored the fact that artists like El-P, Deltron 3030 and Wu-Tang Clan were already popular. They created their own niche on a faulty premise and exaggerated its qualities to be very alienating to hip-hop's core audience. The average rap fan doesn't mind a gaming reference or two in a song, but none of them want to jam to a song about boning Bayonetta, especially when the artists aren't even good at rapping. As such, it attracts an audience so far up their own asses and close-minded to whatever doesn't fit into their narrow tastes, they ignore and ridicule credible rappers just because their subject matter isn't so drastically different from the mainstream or because they make allusions and references that they don't understand.

What I'm getting at is if putting balls back into rock music means making a one-dimensional, aggro dude-brah bro-metal album, consider me a OneRepublic fan because at least "Counting Stars" is a decent song. Their only decent song, but I'd rather listen to it on repeat than sit through an album of whatever passes for popular metal these days.

17. ragsta

ragsta Well-Known Member

Well said Fleur de Lys!

18. jkrawcke224

jkrawcke224 Well-Known Member

first and most importantly,

lmfao. this made my whole entire night, thank you.

secondly, what it comes down to is that mike is a human being just like we all are, so he can state his opinion about music just as much as you guys can state your opinions on how cocky you think he is. his 'status' doesnt make him unable to speak his mind. mike has never been fake. hes always going to be open and very straight forward. and i mean if yall want to call him out for it and be negative about it you can do that, but i personally think you're all nuts. i think you all have gotten a little out of hand lol. getting angry about someone's opinion and all, saying its not valid because he's mike shinoda from linkin park. come on guys.

third, i am so fucking ready for tomorrow, new music is (probably) on the way and im gonna blast this shit til i cant hear anymore. :]

and you just said basically the same thing i did, except i didnt see it until just now. i didnt feel like weeding through all the negativity again lol. but you're absolutely 100% correct and i'm with you. you shouldnt be banned for that. btw, i think you're good haha. :]

19. tripleh3lix

tripleh3lix Well-Known Member

Queen B didn't need no press. Linkin Park can pull it off too and it would be big cause they're one of the few biggest bands in the world if they did a surprise iTunes release. What if they dropped an album on us and they revealed it was finished and told us to go check iTunes? OMG!

20. l4g_testify

l4g_testify Well-Known Member

Anyways. I'm excited that there are possible collaborations on the new record! According to mikes about it. They've never done that on a studio record. P.O.D. Usually do on all their records, more than one artist at that and it's great to see bands do stuff like that together