Guilty All The Same - 24 hours later: opinion

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Denny, Mar 7, 2014.

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

After 24 hours: Its still a damn good track. Listening to the vocals very closely, Chester sounds weak in verses, but hits it decently for the chorus, it almost sounds exactly like his vocal take on the chorus for QWERTY (Studio of course). After having raped the shit out of the repeat button for LIVING THINGS, I started listening to Minutes to Midnight recently and this song fit in immediately and just in time. My first impression made me jump around and yell, "This is fucking bitch tits!!"
    This has been on repeat and will continue to be for the rest of the month just as ALTNC, BURN IT DOWN, and The Catalyst.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

I think this is especially true of how Chester sounds in the song. People have been commenting that he sounds weird or not himself or not screamy enough, but really I think he sounds more like his natural voice here than on any other song. If you compare how he sounds here to his live performances of Blackout, this is truer to his actual delivery.

cloudscream

cloudscream Static

24 hours later, everything about the song is great except the lyrics (Chester's lines) and the repetitive melody.

Hans Muster

Hans Muster Well-Known Member

At the beginning it was mainly surprising but now I guess I think of it as one of their best singles.

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

I like it even more now than the first listen. It's incredible.

NotEnoughYetTooMuch

NotEnoughYetTooMuch Well-Known Member

I really love the instrumental, linkin park always has the music well put together even though sometimes the lyrics lack, that's just my opinion. This time I think the lyrics aren't that good but they out did themselves with the instrumental this time, I didn't listen to it that many times but my opinion might change as I listen to it more. At the end it kind of trails off, but just stops, it probably leads into another track, which is hopefully just as good or better than GATS, I'm really excited for the album

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Yes, there is nothing groundbreaking or new to offer here, but that's fine. Guilty All The Same emulates everything I've wanted to hear from the band in a long time. Balls to the wall; the song is a whopping 6 minute blitz of heavy instrumentals that leaves no stone unturned, definitely the boldest single release since The Catalyst. At last, it seems as though the band just went with their gut as opposed to the methodical, drawn out approach they've been experimenting with via LP 3, 4, and 5. Honestly, I haven't been this excited for the band's work since Reanimation.

4.5/5

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Damn right!!

Out of all the main single releases I've experienced (starting with "What I've Done"), this one has got me the most excited about the future release by far. I had sweared I'd try to not get too much into the hype train in order to not get disappointed afterall. But if the whole album is of the same caliber as this song, then...Wow, just wow :awesome:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    ragsta

ragsta Well-Known Member

I thought I was getting tired of the song, but I just came back after a night out and I really enjoy the song again, even more than before! :cocainefan:

UNiPersona

UNiPersona previously known as STARKINATOR

It is a good song, and a surprising one. But just for me it is not as...refreshing as I had expected to be. It's a new sound for Linkin Park for sure but it is definitely not as new as some of their previous work.

Dusty

Dusty LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

Release: This song jumped out of nowhere, kicked me in the face and stole my lunch money.

24 hours later: I'm still spitting out teeth and rocking out. Who needs lunch?

brianlp01

brianlp01 Well-Known Member

I had that "OMG this in Linkin Park?!" feeling at first. I still have it now but i'm more happy that I have new Rock n Roll to rock the fuck out too. Its very refreshing! Ive been into that alternative pop stuff and reggae a lot lately. This song has me back into hard rock again!

Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I keep hearing the phrase "breath of fresh air" being used to describe this song. There's nothing fresh about it. It's the kind of bro-metal I was wise to remove from my library after exploring more interesting and rewarding genres. Trying to bring aggression back to radio rock isn't ambitious at all, it's dredging up what should've been a dying trend. I could get this song from any wannabe metal band with an average audience age of 15. The guitar solo sounds as annoying as the riff from Victimized and aside from Rakim's verse, the lyrics suck. They're this vague-as-shit Rage Against the Machine-esque tripe but with hardly any of the fury and none of the intellect from RATM. I really hope that the album isn't as one-dimensional as this.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

:samuel:

Qwerty19

Right. Gotta love how with each message you post, you act like some sort of music messiah who has the definite knowledge about music and where it should go. It seems like because you have listened to a shitload of music, you think you have earned the divine right to dictate to everyone else which music genre is interesting and which one deserve to die. Are you even aware that you sound pretentious as fuck acting like this? Seriously, calm down with your ego man. You're just another human-being with your own system of values and representations, and your damn own musical tastes, which are as relative as it gets.

That said, the song is a "breath of fresh air" in at least 3 ways.

1) In regard to LP discography, as this move is probably one of the least predictable thing they could have done after the last few albums

2) In regard to mainstream music. One of the most successfull bands in the world releasing a 6 min raw and heavy song in a time where polished EDM/Pop/Hip Hop music outragiously dominate the mainstream game? Whatever you'll say, that's a damn ballsy move right there.

3) And in regard to how the instrumentation has stepped up. Drum-wise, it's one of, if not their most technical song.

And about your judgements about "bro-metal", honestly, your opinion couldn't get more biased and ignorant. Your post about how you don't listen to Metallica/Dream Theater anymore because of the long intros definitely proved me how intolerant and close-minded you are in regard to that genre. Oh, and there is also the one in which you describe EVERY metalcore and groove metal bands of the last decade as shitty. Couldn't get more narrow.

End of rant. Anyway, I don't mind that you or other persons don't like the song, really. It's just the arrogant attitude that annoys me.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
    Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

Perhaps a little much...but I do agree with everything you said. Not liking the song for personal reasons ABOUT the song is absolutely fine, but his post did come off in the wrong way.

As for my own response to this thread, I find it to be an ingenious song. My friend, who is an extremely talented musician said that this song (for LP) really impressed him. My brothers said they didn't think it was a good song at all. So, I suppose even this type of music can be polarizing.

Honestly, call it raw, call it (as the negative responses have claimed) as it if sounds it was recorded using a cheap microphone, but I love the sound. I LOVE the thickness of the lead guitars when they come in during the intro. Chester's vocals threw me off at first because of how polished everything in Living Things was, but I prefer this so much more. Every rasp, every crack, every imperfection is present, which I LOVE. As Dave Grohl has stated numerous times, "rock and roll isn't supposed to be perfect".

I don't mind if the rest of The Hunting Party isn't as heavy as GATS. It's the sound that I hope stays the same. This is dark, it's not over-produced, and it's just as outside the box for LP as ATS was. Everything about this makes me so happy, and I'm extremely optimistic about the rest of the album.

Qwerty19

Way too much actually :lol:

But this isn't the first time this user come off like that, and I wanted to say something about it as each time it strikes me the wrong way. I might have come too far with this, so sorry about that :/

Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Ask anyone who doesn't wear band shirts all the time, this style of music is monotonous as all hell. Sorry that I've been weaned off of this boring-ass subgenre after spending my entire adolescence listening to it. Apparently, it's pretentious that I don't think this insipid shit is all that interesting after being exposed to artists who, in the grand scheme of things, aren't even that esoteric. They just have enough songwriting skills to express something other than "I'm so fucked up...", "I'MMA FUCK YOU UP" or a bunch of goddamn wankery. I don't really listen to Dream Theater anymore because I don't like to listen to solo after solo after solo. I don't care that your bassist wants to try out his new toy, write a song. And groove metal and metalcore do fucking suck. Pantera is one of the worst bands ever. Their music was so unlistenably awful and yet it inspired so many neckbearded, lunkheaded neanderthals to start a band and play a bunch of irredeemable, macho aggro bullshit.* If this song actually sounded like any of the post-hardcore bands the band claims to have been inspired by, then I'd have a better opinion on it. It really doesn't. It sounds like a more tolerable A7X. This music isn't gone, as much as I want it to be. It's just not on the same station as Macklemore and Katy Perry.

Let's be clear, I don't hate this song. I've listened to it a lot over the past couple of days. However, I'm not kidding myself by saying it's in any way revolutionary. I'm listening to it because it's my favorite band's new single. Buried programming and a guest rapper won't make a tired genre sound new.

*This is not an invitation to send me a video from Gojira, Candiria, Mastodon, whatever. I know there are metal bands in these piss-poor subgenres that transcend these stereotypes and can either write about a different subject or put a different spin on their sound. But that's like saying nu-metal shouldn't be as widely derided as it is because of Deftones. You found the exception, good on you.

Jack_Farrell

Jack_Farrell KTTK is Chester suicide-diving off a cliff naked

Gotta agree with Spitz here. This isn't anything new or innovating for music, and to have LP do this, while I understand what they tried to convey (aggression in a pussyfied mainstream era) it's just not working for me because this is something any unknown power metal band can come up with in 15 minutes of jamming.

And the lyrics... don't even get me started on that stuff... I was hoping LP would step shit up even more after some of the GREAT lyrics we got (albeit not the singles of LT, or Lies Greed Misery for that matter lol) during ATS or LT. Seriously? "Guilty all the same, Guilty all the same, Guilty all the same, Guilty all the same"

Jesus, I've said this several times and I'll repeat it again, is this all LP can do? Write a power metal song that's really easy to replicate, when I know, WE ALL KNOW!, they have the skills and the tools to create stuff that is MUCH MUCH more epic to convey aggression and not have themselves fall into the easy, repetitive lyrics route? (BLACKOUT, "FIELDS OF PAPERWHITE" PEOPLE!!!!!!)

I love the idea that Mike envisioned, I feel the same way about the current state of mainstream music, but I can't help but feel this is definitely not the way to "lead" your "revolution", LP can do WAY WAY better than this.

Qwerty19

Dude, that straight disrespect of a whole scene is damn narrow, but whatever, it's up to your musical tastes. That's not what I've a problem with. What I've a problem with is the movement from "I don't like this because monotomous/insipid/blablabla" to "This genre doesn't deserve any interest whatsoever and should disappear". How about fucking relativity? Watch Xero21 answer in this thread. He recognizes it's not his type of music, but doesn't go on to say how the scene is garbage and should burn in hell. Probably because he's aware that the features of it might be attractive to some other people. That's how to be tolerant and accept diversity in tastes.

Saying that a certain subgenre is more rewarding than another is silly as shit. It all depends on what you are expecting the music to deliver.

...and on a random note, your comment about Pantera made me lol. You just don't have the right spirit to enjoy that stuff. An equivalent would be "Hip Hop is fucking awfull. It's all about people talking over repetitive beats, and yet it inspired tons of gangsta to make music about bitches and money".