HBO's True Detective

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Agent, Jan 13, 2014.

Mitch

Mitch YTB

Anyone still watching this? Some great writing, really looking forward to seeing how it ends. Oh and Mark I was too quick to comment on the fact that it was insinuated by the two cops interviewing Cohle that he was somehow implicated, when he obviously wasn't .

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Can't wait for the finale! I need to rewatch the latest ep.. saw it without subtitles so probably missed some key points. This one was exposition-heavy.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

I am absolutely enthralled by this show. Last two episodes weren't my favorite, but that's just because those first 3 episodes were so stellar. I haven't been this enamored with a new show in a while.

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Matthew McConaughey confirmed he won't be returning in Season 2.

Agent

^ It was pretty obvious tbh. I wouldn't want him to be back either. I'm far more interested in seeing how the anthology format plays out.

Agent

Finale tonight! Can't frickin wait!

Tim

Great finale. So glad the season didn't end with some silly twist. There was so much stupid fucking over-analysis from fans all over the internet that it almost had more worried.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I wasn't. :lol:

Great finale, indeed.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

I have to rewatch the series to refine my evidence, but my big theory about the show is that among other things it's an allegory for storytelling. It's a story about characters in a story who realize they are characters in a story. The Secret Fate of All Life and tonight's finale seem to kind of hint at it.

And even if it wasn't intended this way, I like my interpretation so I'm sticking with it.

Agent

I read something similar somewhere.

i liked the finale but i expected a big twist to end the mystery side of things. they have been building up the killer and the whole grand conspiracy and finally everything played out quite straight. it was a bit anticlimactic.

i was more or less happy with the character development aspects of the show. although i gotta ask: was it having a near death experience that gave Rust a little more optimism about life?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
    Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Yes.

And that's the only problem I have with the finale.

Agent

Well that's weird. And his epiphany at the end felt so out of character. The ending overall felt kind of rushed. Like the writers were going "Hey forget about the mystery... what the show is REALLY about is these characters going through an arch and we'll beat you over the head with it in the last couple of minutes of the show."

Sloppy writing.

Tim

It kind of reminded me of The Wire's series finale. Sure, they got the bad guy, but he was just one cog in the wheel. Just like in real life, when the little guys try to go after people with influence, more often than not the little guys will fail.

As far as Rust's epiphany of sorts, you have to keep things in perspective. Rust's nihilism was his way of coping with his daughter's death. The guy spent 20 years being an absolutely miserable fuck, so 10 minutes of vulnerability after finally achieving some sense of clarity in his life doesn't seem like too much to me. Maybe it's because tv has been flooded with so many anti-heroes lately, but I thought it was kind of refreshing. And like I said before, I'm so over writers trying so hard to shoehorn oh-so-clever twists into everything. Did we learn nothing from Lost?

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

That was fucking fantastic. Creepy as fuck, gripping, and powerful.

A-fucking-men!

deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

:ditto:

Agent

It's not about shoehorning "oh-so-clever twists". You can't build up a mystery this big and play it so straight at the end and act like "oh it wasn't even about the mystery... it was all about Rust and Marty's growth". That to me spells cop out. I still liked how the season ended but I can't say that some aspects didn't leave a bitter taste.

-

The writer spilled some details on what we can expect in season 2:

I feel like the plot is a red herring to throw people off... just because it seems kind of bizarre.

Also, rooting for Naomi Watts to get a role, she'll be so perfect. *fingers crossed*

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I feel the show was more about Rust and Marty's investigation and solving of the mystery and less about the show itself being a mystery. If that makes any sense.

Agent

Yes and how the mystery was solved was a tad anticlimactic imo.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

That's spot-on.

This was really made clear in The Secret Fate of All Life. The two episodes prior had been all about building up Reggie LeDoux, and not even halfway through the episode, well, you know. The focus was more on the coordinated lie Marty and Rust told about what happened in the forest; more on the storytellers and their stories than the mystery itself.

Also, I'm sad that people really don't like the optimistic ending. One person on Tumblr kept calling it "cheesy," and they definitely aren't the only person to think that. Why does optimism have to be cheesy? Every show on TV is all about the anti-hero/villain protagonist and the loss of hope. Am I religious and do I agree with Rust's epiphany? No and no. But so what? His daughter and a sense of love and family is something that he clearly longed for and ate at him constantly, even if he masked it outwardly with pessimism and nihilism. Do we really have to be mad that the guy gained a sense of hope at the end?

Now that I can agree with. "Green ears...hey, this house got painted green once. NAILED IT."

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    Agent

Absolutely not. It was totally deserved and I found it somewhat touching. But I didn't like how all of a sudden that alone became the front and center of everything.