Brad Delson talks about Linkin Park's upcoming, "guitar-heavy" new album

Discussion in 'News' started by Andreina, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Liz

Liz ChainsawLiz LPA VIP

So excite! Want it naooo

2. Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

It's alright. I probably read into your post as being more argumentative than it really was, haha.

Anyway, I agree they should probably get Brad to do more interviews. He's thoughtful and informative without overhyping anything.

3. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

And you probably only know those bands because you were listening to the radio and watching TV and they advertised them to you at the right time. #wakeupsheeple

4. l4g_testify

l4g_testify Well-Known Member

Actually not. I was into pop at that time til my older cousin showed me system of a down, it was chop suey to be exact. And I explored rock and that's how I got into it and heard of those bands, by choice. Lol great try tho bud

5. l4g_testify

You completely missed what was said lol i must be stepping on some toes

6. minuteforce

Well, then, it doesn't matter at all that those bands "used to be all over the radio", then, does it? Even you didn't discover those bands through mainstream media, and that was back when such bands were peaking in terms of mainstream popularity.

7. l4g_testify

This is my whole point you guys seem to be missing. There are many reasons why record sales plummet. A big reason is promotion by radio, tv, social media, etc. If artists aren't on this then they don't sale like they should period. I heard these bands on the radio, I didn't get into it until my cousin showed me that song and then I dug deeper into that scene. Kids are gonna go with what's hip and trend and right now that's not rock like it use to be

8. minuteforce

And there's nothing wrong with that. Rock music once displaced other things on its way to becoming "hip and trend" among the kids. What's there to complain about?

You yourself have said that these bands' presence on radio had no impact on you becoming a fan and consuming their music on your own terms.

9. l4g_testify

If I contradicted myself I would have said I listened to it because of the radio and then turned around and said that's not why I started listening to it which I never did and I never said there is anything wrong about what's trending. My point I'm making is it's not just the record companies not promoting like they should, it's radio and media. You guys are completely jumping the gun like I offended you. If I did then sorry, my point was completely different then what you are taking it as. You're arguing with yourself, I'm just trying to get you to understand my point and that it's not what you're taking it as. Like it's really nothing to be butt hurt over lol

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  10. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

You're doing this whole subcultural superiority thing that I've seen in far too many people in my life. You're bitching about the radio in 2014 not playing the kind of rock music you grew up with. The kind of rock music that petered out over a decade ago. The kind of rock music that has been universally derided as one of the worst trends to happen to the entire genre. Radio doesn't hate guitars. I've heard plenty of funk-inspired songs get tons of radio play in the past year. One of the biggest EDM hits of last year had Mike Einzinger playing an acoustic guitar on it. I'm not entirely happy with what's on the charts, but I don't care. The internet is a thing. I can listen to whatever I want. How many times have I said this same thing, fuck the radio! Who cares? Maybe Pharrell isn't the only thing all those people you labeled as followers listen to. I like "Happy". It's a great song. Me liking a pop song doesn't mean I can't listen to La Dispute's Rooms of the House or the Art of Noise album that has Rakim on it.

11. minuteforce

Well, then, you can't be complaining about how your favourite bands don't get airtime if, again, airplay never had any impact on you becoming a fan. :)

If you're saying that kids should be looking outside of the radio for music to listen to, well, that will definitely happen as they get older. It's inevitable.

12. l4g_testify

Lol omg no no no dude! I am not complaining about anything! I'm stating one factor out of many of why some music sales records and gets promoted and others don't geeeeeeeez. Dude I love EDM I love Dubstep, Bruno Mars, Kendrick Lamar, lil Wayne etc. My music horizon is very well expanded believe me I'm not complaint about a thing. You want me to be the subcultural thingawhatever but I'm not. The last few pages on this thread is about promotion, and just like they're stating WB isn't promoting well which I agree, I'm also stating other faults in promotion. Sorry for stepping on your toes bro lol guess I just have big feet

13. minuteforce

But what faults? The complete lack of effort made to promote things that aren't popular and won't sell? Maybe that system seems a little cyclical at times but, if it were, mainstream tastes would never, ever change - but, of course, they have.

Just for the record, we're all music fans here and definitely don't need to be told why some things get promoted while other things do not. :) My point is that major labels and mainstream media promote what will sell the most; they have a smaller role than they used to in actually dictating what becomes popular, so the way that things have gone isn't anyone's fault.

14. l4g_testify

That's exactly what I'm saying! For the second part lol as for the first I'm not complaining. Those aren't my favorite bands, just ones I remember hearing on the radio at that time. My music taste expands from Linkin Park and P.O.D. To freakin Bruno Mars, hell I even like Miley Cyrus lol. I'm just saying, radio and tv are part of promoting, not just the record companies

15. l4g_testify

I know but it was something to be addressed not only in popular music being promoted but music period. There's a whole and LP is trying to fill the gap. But it is what it is LP for life!

16. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

What gap is there? There are multitudes of bands out there that can write entire albums that sound similar to GATS. This is not a sound that is missing.

17. l4g_testify

Ask Linkin Park

18. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

I still don't understand how songs like "#SELFIE" reach #7 on the U.S. iTunes chart. :facepalm:

But anyways I'd be shocked if a song from LP6 even reaches the top 10 for the U.S. iTunes chart because of this being a guitar heavy album. Hell, the album might not even debut at #1.

19. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

I really don't see why it matters. They've got a rabid fan base that well keep them around for a looonng. In the end (ha), it's about the music, not about numbers or sales. They're making great music, and that makes me happy.

A song named #Selfie though? I'm going to make it my life's mission to never listen to that.

20. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member