Brad Delson talks about Linkin Park's upcoming, "guitar-heavy" new album

Discussion in 'News' started by Andreina, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Star Scream

Star Scream Does A Machine Like You Ever Experience Fear

I agree, LP have released more interesting material in the past. GATS is a great song if they want to top GATS make mike rap like he rapes in the i'll be gone remix with that distorted guitar in GATS and a few electroic elements as well in my opinion. that will make LP on top of the food chain for me for 2 years.

2. AaronJxD

AaronJxD Well-Known Member

Never knew Mike was capable of such things.

3. Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

:antoine:

4. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

I like to think that GATS, or at least the first verse and chorus, was written by the band about the band. That would help me maybe appreciate it more.

I don't know, this whole crusade about how mainstream music isn't heavy enough so Linkin Park has to do it hasn't really grown on me. It reminds me of the kid in high school who chooses not to go to prom solely because that's what all the "cool kids" do and he/she just has to do something different to prove how unique they are. Why are you so concerned? Can't you just do something without letting what everyone else is doing get in the way?

It also reminds me of a Loveline interview I was listening to a few years back. The band had an album called "Radio Surgery," and when asked about the meaning behind the name, they basically said it was kind of inspired by Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and the idea of performing surgery on someone's mind (brain "radio waves"). Mike Catherwood responded by basically saying, "oh thank god, I thought you were going to give some awful douchey answer about needing to perform surgery on mainstream radio or something like that."

Then again, if the band is really inspired and they make a good album, then I guess their reasoning behind making it won't really matter. So.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  5. crazygolfer

crazygolfer Well-Known Member

My biggest fear is that this album won't feature the variety LP are known for in their albums. Specifically, multiple genres in one album.

6. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

From recent interviews, it sounds like their concerns come from the music they grew up with. They are (well, I guess especially Mike) emotionally attached to that scene. When you're emotionally attached to something, it's logical to get concerned about it, and that whether the concerns are rational or not.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  7. Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

There are many interesting views and opinions in this thread, to be sure. To be fair, is GATS truly just a metal type of song? I'm still under the impression that it has combined multiple genres together like a lot of the band's past material. I see this song as more of a punk-metal-hard rock-hip-hop type of mash-up. The punk influence, to me, is clearly present in Chester's rhythmic, fast-paced vocals. I also included hard rock because I am not sure the instrumentals are solely metal all the way through. That's still quite a bit of variety for a song that is predominantly guitar-driven. Anyway, that interview with Brad was informative and has left me with even more hope and anticipation for the new album. Lastly, am I being too optimistic to think that we may be receiving the next single early-to-mid April if the band is that serious about delivering new music to us faster than usual?

8. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

But you learn.

They always learn. :shifty:

9. Bane

Bane Together we'll fight the long defeat

Guys, let's not forget this is only ONE song off of an entire album.

It's likely to be one of the more accessible sounding songs as well. While LP may have disappointed some with GATS (I personally enjoy GATS), it's too early to criticise their new sound for this album cycle based on one song. If the band's past is anything to go by, then we'll most likely have a lot of diversity on the album.

I understand that the song isn't for everyone, but have a little faith in the band, I'm sure there'll be something for everyone on the album;)

10. Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

Remember when we all judged Living Things based off of Burn It Down?

... Some would say that we weren't far off.

11. tripleh3lix

tripleh3lix Well-Known Member

The last 3 albums have ALL had something different. Meteora had Breaking the Habit, Figure .09 which was different for them at the time, and Easier to Run. M2M: More Sorrow, No Roads Left, Given Up, etc. ATS was a mixed bag, LT had variety too (however I consider it the laziest album they have done, just seemed so short and 2 or 3 songs like Skin to Bone, Roads Untraveled, Victimized, etc seemed a bit rushed and/or repetitive).. What's to say this album won't have variety?

12. wolflink

wolflink I feel very privileged in debt for my thirst

I ll answer
    If You think it can be better
    Then
    Go and make it better by yourself
    [removed]
    And i proclame GATS is a good LINKIN PARK song
    I dont give a fuck about other bands
    Because those arent the number 1 band in the UNIVERSE
    They might be non perfect but that is what makes them so damn good

13. LAMY

LAMY Professional Lurker

Forget perfect, they trying not to be worthless :shinado:

14. deadbysunrise

deadbysunrise Well-Known Member

Hate to be that guy, but yeah, people were right to do that. :lol:

15. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Well, the first half of Living Things sounded similar to Burn it Down. But after Castle of Glass, the album starts to become immediately better as whole and there is more variety to the songs.

16. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Mmm. Understandably, for some people, that's just not enough to make up for the first half.

17. ernieball003

ernieball003 Well-Known Member

:CUMULUS:

18. l4g_testify

l4g_testify Well-Known Member

I like turtles

19. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

That's completely random and unnecessary. Try posting something that will contribute to the thread.

But anyways, I doubt that the songs on the next album will have such a huge variety like other albums. But by no means do I think that the album will consist of 12 different versions of GATS, but I don't think it will have the diversity of albums like LT and ATS. All I know is that this album will be heavy and refreshing.

20. Josh

Josh Met LP 8-13-14 LPA VIP

Once the second single will drop in a couple of months we will understand the "sound" of the album. When LP released lies greed misery I got a good feeling