What movies did you recently watch?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Hybrid Soldier, Jun 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squish Mitten

Squish Mitten I'm a five-star general; infantry controller.

Yeahh I thought it would be a commercial pile of shit too before I watched it, after seeing the trailer and all. The trailer does make it seem pretty awful, but it isn't bad at all. Go and see it though, it's quite good :)

2. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

I haven't seen the film yet but it has been Darren Aronofsky's (one of the best directors around) brainchild for a while. He's been shopping around this treatment of Noah's story to studios for years now. So writing it off as a "Michael Bay flick" would be the wrong thing to say :)

3. Kaique Smart

Kaique Smart There's nothing to fear but fear itself

Half way through the movie I kind noticed that Borden and Fallon were the same person.
    They had the exactly same nose haha.
    And then I start thinking about his wife saying that sometimes he really meant he loved her and sometimes don't.
    It even made more sense. I didn't noticed the bleeding hand though.
    And it was also kind of clearly that Angier wasn't really dead at the end. He had a cloning machine.
    I just didn't really know whether the alive Angier would actually be the real one or the cloned one.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  4. Kaique Smart

Kaique Smart There's nothing to fear but fear itself

I just remembered another great movie I've watched a while ago.

Children of Men - 9

5. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Hmm comparing Darren Aronofsky with Michael Bay. I might consider that blasphemy :lol:

6. Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Frozen. I actually really loved this movie. Even though the plot felt rushed at times, it was still a great movie.

7. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - 8/10 - Unexpected and thrilling. It changed EVERYTHING I thought about the MCU. There's even recurring MCU characters that are revealed to be bad guys this whole time. The action is great as well, since they focus more on grounded combat and with lesser CGI.

8. jare0674

jare0674 There's a seat here along side me...

You guys that that have seen The Winter Soldier are so lucky. I don't see why they they would release a movie about Captain America outside of the US before releasing it domestically.

9. Liz

Liz ChainsawLiz LPA VIP

Just saw Rise of the Guardians. Why I haven't seen that movie before baffles me. It's amazing!! SOOO GOOD! (I cried a lot...:lol:)

10. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Don't worry. The wait's worth it. It's better than Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 combined.

11. Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

Captain America: The Winter Solider (or as it's known here "Captain America: The Return of the First Avenger")

Really good movie. 8.5/10
    Solid recommendation.

12. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Captain Phillips (2013) – During the beginning, I was like, "wait, this is already happening? I hardly know anything about these characters." But even though you don't really get to know them through the entire film, you do get emotionally connected to them, and that, I think, matters more. Overall, a very well shot, very well acted, dramatic, and intense film with a shaking ending. 8/10

13. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Need For Speed - 1/5

Fucking terrible. Every one of Hollywood's worst tropes.

14. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Captain America: The Winter Soldier 7/10

BEWARE Possible (small) spoiler-ish talk:

Very enjoyable, well-done action movie with some some engaging plot elements. But the movie has one big problem: Captain America himself. He just isn't interesting to me at all as a character. The dude shows no flaws in his personality whatsoever. He literally says "I never lie" at one point in the movie. Really? This is the guy I need to connect with? :lol: To me, you're doing something wrong when I'm more interesting in the side-characters than I am in the main character of the movie.

The other aspects of the movie are great, some raise some intriguing questions (as the movie does have a big impact on the MCU-franchise as a whole) but other than that, it's overhyped to me.

The Wolf of Wall Street 9/10

Great movie. I like how smartly written it is. You find the drug-highs in the movie incredibly hilarious (if you like dark humor, that is) but when there are f.e. kids present in scene like that, everything gets put into context and it becomes a sad reality. It's a long movie but I didn't regret watching it for a second.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  15. jare0674

jare0674 There's a seat here along side me...

Just ordered tickets for a Captain America double feature on Thursday; I can't fucking wait!

Edit: Just got back from it, 10/10! I'd definitely put this down as Marvel's best movie so far.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  16. MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - 5 out of 5

I legitimately can't think of anything wrong with Cap's second solo outing, which is really impressive because, honestly, anything that isn't The First Avenger is probably going to be good.

Marvel knows they've got something great on their hands when they continue to throw the references at you, blatantly with characters like Black Widow and Falcon, and more subtly, like a quick namedrop from Agent Sitwell concerning one ***SPOILER*** Stephen Strange ***SPOILER*** (eek!).

The film picks up QUICK and just goes from there, and closes out by utilizing a few quick scenes to set up both the future of the Marvel universe and a direct sequel.

There's an aesthetic to this film that sets it apart from other Marvel films in that you only realize you're watching a Marvel film due to the characters. Were it not for star-spangled outfits and Scarlett Johannsson's to-die-for ass, this would still be an incredible espionage film.

The Russo brothers have definitely earned their return for the sequel.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about two post-credits scenes (well, one post, one mid), but at least this time around they were used efficiently to help set up two films: The Avengers: Age of Ultron, and Captain America 3. Take note, Alan Taylor - Thor teleporting into a Jane Foster kiss doesn't count for shit.

Oh, and the Joe Russo cameo is great just because I knew it was him :lol:

17. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - 4.5/5

Wow, seriously, WOW. This is no doubt the best solo MCU movie since Iron Man, if not better. This, is how you do plot twists (I'm looking at you Iron Man 3). Great action, great story, great characters, great character moments, what more could you want? Scarllet Johansson gave a great performance too (dat ass though). And for the Community fans, Danny Pudi has a great cameo.

The only reason this isn't a 5/5 for me is that I wish there was a bit more resolution on The Winter Soldier himself.

I was also real happy to see 2 serious post-credits scenes, one for The Avengers: Age of Ultron and one for Captain America 3, instead of the stupid funny ones we got for Thor 2 and Iron Man 3.

EDIT: Cap's shield is fucking AWESOME.

18. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Gravity (2013) – Overrated? Probably. But this is such a darn unique film. 8/10

19. Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

RoboCop 2014 - I liked it. People seem to compare it way too much to the original and complain about there not being enough violence, blood or social commentary. While I agree that there is no blood, the violence and social commentary that is in here is plenty to go around.

Recommend with a 7/10 rating.

20. Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.