What movies did you recently watch?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Hybrid Soldier, Jun 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

Captain America 2 - 7/10

The Raid 2 = 8.5/10
    I prefer The Raid, but this movie was fucking awesome too.

2. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Frozen 7/10 -I'm not big into musicals but this one was cute. Olaf was my favorite character in the movie.

3. MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

Son of Batman - 4 out of 5

Maybe it's the fact that it's the Damian show and not the Batman show that forces the audience to approach this film differently than something like The Dark Knight Returns or Year One, but Son of Batman tells a tale worth visiting. As always, a welcomed Nightwing cameo is granted, along with a large Talia presence that provides us with the means to accept Batman is still human.

However, the main focus is the pair's love child, who begins as a mini Ra's before taking up the mantle of the title. It's incredible to see how Damian is more than a match for the skilled Deathstroke (although Batman beats him in < 90 seconds), simply due to being trained by the League of Assassins from birth - it's amazing to think how Bruce would've turned out given the same situation.

Although Kevin Conroy is missed from the voice of the Dark Knight, Jason O'Mara sells this version as both a young father figure and darkly comedic. This contrasts well with the hotheaded conviction Stuart Allen gives Damian, particularly in a dialogue face-off with Sean Maher's Dick Grayson.

All in all, it's comforting to see that where DC fails in live-action films, they succeed in their animated efforts with strong contenders, such as Son of Batman.

4. RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

Captain Philips - 4/5
    The Lego Movie - 4/5
    Captain America - 3.5/5

5. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Project X - 8/10

Didn't think I'd enjoy it, but hot damn that was some awesome mindless fun.

6. MKH

Getaway - 0.5 out of 5

That was just awful. Selena Gomez, despite being full of Bieber's baby gravy, looked good though.

7. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

That movie is just really damn stupid. :lol:

8. jare0674

jare0674 There's a seat here along side me...

The Raid 2 - 7/10

Not as good as the original for me. The was a lot more plot to this one but I felt like that took more away from the movie than it added to it. As for the action I felt like instead of actually trying to top the excellent fight scenes of the first one they just took the easy route of making everything more brutal and gory. The score definitely was a step down too in my opinion. It's still a good action movie in the end though.

9. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

The Raid: Redemption (2011) – Motherfucking fuck. 8/10

10. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Now go watch The Raid 2, and get even more mind-fucked.

11. Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

Saving Mr. Banks - 8.5/10

Don Jon - 8.5/10. Joseph Gordon-Levitt's feature length directorial (and writing) debut shows he has a hell of a lot of talent.

Calvary - 8/10. Writer/Director John Michael McDonagh (brother to Martin, of "In Bruges" & "Seven Psychopaths" fame) re-teams with Brendan Gleeson after 2011's of comedy "The Guard" was a hit. Gleeson plays a [good] priest in the west of Ireland in a community that is less and less welcoming to him. Also starring Chris O'Dowd, Dylan Moran, Kelly Reilly & Aiden Gillen.

Pain & Gain - 7.5/10. Michael Bay should stick to films like this and leave Transformers alone. Of course it helps that this has a good pair of writers (the guys who wrote the two Captain America films). This reminds me a lot of Bad Boys.

This Is The End - 7.5/10. Wasn't expecting to like this as much as I did.

All Is Lost - 8/10. Robert Redford adrift at sea, trying to stay alive. Almost nothing said throughout the whole film. Strong performance.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - 7.5/10. A solid step up from the first one, but I still don't see what people are raving about.

American Hustle - 7.5/10. Strong performances from all involved.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  12. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

This Is The End - 6/10

Liked the first 20 minutes or so but after that, it became worse and worse for me. Expected more.

The Prestige - 9/10

Probably one of Nolan's best imo. Great multi-layered story and put on screen in an interesting way.

13. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

I wish I could see The Prestige for the first time again. Such a criminally underrated Nolan flick. It's his best IMO (apart form Inception).

My hype for Interstellar is incredibly high, and I don't even have a clue what it's about, other than "Black Holes & Space." I'm incredibly excited for Hans Zimmer's score too. It's supposedly something really new for him, or at least from what he's been doing ever since Batman Begins.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  14. MKH

That Awkward Moment - 0.5 out of 5

Miles Teller is the only good (see funny) thing within the worst pacing and absolutely no empathy created for the characters.

The ABCs of Death - 5 out of 5

This might be a joke rating, but this is so bad it's good. Half the fun is in guessing what the letter of each short could possibly stand for - fun fact: I got about 5 or 6 right. Ones like "L", "M", and "R" are actually cool/interesting, and then there's the overly artsy shit like "O", but it's still not a bad way to kill 2 hours.

The Human Centipede II: Full Sequence - 2 out of 5

This was actually my second time watching it because the lady wanted to see it, but my opinion hasn't changed since 2011. Obviously, writer-director Tom Six has some serious daddy issues and just allowed for a 40-something-year-old mentally challenged guy to somehow kidnap 11 random people, and get a known actress with an agent to fly out to London by herself to get her in on his sick obsession, too. Where the original was gross within the boundaries of its story, the sequel just plays out as grossly as possible within a story that may or may not be there.

----------

Need for Speed - 3 out of 5

Once you get past the incredibly cheesy dialogue and overly coincidental plot points (even for a fictional movie), it's actually an enjoyable ride. Interesting ROADS UNTRAVELED mix at the end there.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  15. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

The World's End - 9/10

Loved it.

16. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

The Human Centipede: Sequence II- I forgot this was on Netflix til I saw MKH's review. Thought I would give it a watch. While the first one is much more restrained (relativity of course) this is just pure gore. Its a lot darker, its heavier, and more gruesome. How ever it is much less well put together and a lot more plot line holes. Had potential I guess, or as much as a movie like that can have.

6/10

17. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - Better than the first movie. Spider-Man is more humorous in this movie, and Marc Webb's great style reflects the relationship of Gwen and Peter. Electro and Green Goblin are surprisingly well-balanced. The only turn-off I had was the plot twist about his dad that kinda ruined the ideal of Spider-Man, but other than that, I was satisfied. 7.5/10

18. jare0674

jare0674 There's a seat here along side me...

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 9/10

I loved it. This movie cemented Garfield as Spider-Man over Maguire for me. They finally got Spider-Man's humor right in a movie. Peter and Gwens' chemistry was perfect and far better than Peter and MJs' from the Raimi trilogy. Despite multiple villains there wasn't really a Spider-Man 3 like overcrowding. It's a fun movie and the spidey fight scenes were great. I'll wait and see how it holds up but this might be my new favorite Spider-Man movie.

19. Dizzy Slay

Dizzy Slay Well-Known Member

The Amazing Spider-Man 2: 11/10

I didn't know a movie was allowed to be this flawless. I kept waiting for some sort of timing issue or something, none. none at all. everything is timed perfectly. nothing takes too long, nothing too short. And finally, a superhero movie that makes you feel why people get into comics in the first place. Yes, there's plenty of action, yes it looks fucking gorgeous, but what holds it all together is the most amount of heart I've seen in an action movie in a LONG time. Maybe even ever. This is the best film interpretation of Spider-Man i have ever seen. As a Spidey fan, for the first time, I found myself watching a Spider-Man movie and saying to myself, "this. THIS is Spider-Man."

But this isn't just a great Spider-Man movie, this is a great fucking movie. Period.

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  20. Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Solid movie. Funny. Action filled. Somewhat good crowd. Noticed a few continuity errors, but I'll let Cinema Sins worry about that.
    It set up the future of both Spider-Man the character in this universe and the franchise good. Although.. that was a bit weird.

Solid recommend with a score of 8/10

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.