Linkin Park Interview Featured in Kerrang! Magazine

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Apr 29, 2014.

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

It seems the interview that was conducted between Linkin Park and Kerrang! the other week will finally be published in tomorrow's issue. However, the Kerrang! website has a preview of the issue with a focus on the Linkin Park Exclusive Interview. Check out the low resolution teaser below and pick up the magazine on shelves tomorrow, Wednesday April 30th, where Linkin Park discuss the new album The Hunting Party and their upcoming Download Festival performance.

[thumb]http://www.lpassociation.com/upload/images/042914-063050_K1515_Linkin_Park_news.jpg[/thumb]

We're not sure if this will be the whole spread or not, but it seems like it could be. I've actually just sat here and typed up the article and transcribed it. I'm pretty sure my eyes are bleeding but enjoy the interview below.

Congratulations on finishing the new album! How did you find the process of making it?

Chester Bennington (Vocals): "Mike wrote tons while I was touring with Stone Temple Pilots last year. When I got home, there was a lot for me to catch up with, and he was playing me things and I was like, "Dude, this is fucking awesome!" I was really surprised how heavy it was..."

The first single, Guilty All the Same, definitely sounds heavier...

Mike Shinoda (Vocals/Guitar): "I read a blog last year about music sucking right now and being really depressing, and I had to agree. There are bands like Mumford & Sons and Arcade Fire, who are both fine if you like that sort of thing. But then there are just hundreds of bands trying to be like them."
    Chester: "Our new music has tons of energy we basically want people to listen to and go 'Really? They just did that?!" Not just to be the same old same old music."

Do you think your fans are ready for a heavier Linkin Park sound?

Mike: "Before, we were kind of afraid to go all in, seven or eight years ago we would have been scared to go ahead with a record like this. The time's right for it now, and we feel really great about releasing it"
    Chester: "I'm confident people will either love it or hate it. They're the two preferred responses, and we have a real vision set out for this album. I just keep saying, 'How about we we start with the dance-y stuff and make it darker? Then I come back from the STP tour... and it's like death metal or something [laughs]".

And this whole thing's a reaction to how safe music is?

Mike: "I have a Spotify playlist called "Yelling over guitars", which ranges from At The Drive-In to Sick Of It All to [boch?]. I love all that stuff and I was getting annoyed that some younger people aren't familiar with that aesthetic. Then I thought "Why don't we just make the stuff we want to hear, instead of sitting around and being frustrated that nobody's making music with that vibe for us?"
    Chester: "I just sat there listening to what Mike came back with and was like, "Oh shit, this is so great! So this is where we're going with it? Cool, I'm down with that!""

So... Why is it called The Hunting Party, then?

Mike: "We got so sick of other bands trying to be other bands and playing it safe the whole time, so the album name comes from a theory about culture becoming too passive, everyone just standing around waiting for opportunities to come to them instead of going out and getting theirs. I'm aware there are always going to be heavier bands than us, but The Hunting Party is Linkin Park going out and getting it for ourselves"

And are you ready for your Hybrid Theory headline at set at Download Festival?

Mike: "Yeah, I think we know the songs from Hybrid Theory pretty well at this point [laughs]. Back when we started touring Hybrid Theory years ago we got started playing 20-minute sets opening for other bands like Papa Roach and P.O.D, and even did our very first show at the Whisky in LA with System of a Down. Anyway, as we progressed we would get headline sets for an hour or more, and we were going "Shit, we could play our entire album almost twice! We've got that much space to fill! We're screwed!"

So how are you going to fill a whole headline set with Hybrid Theory?

Mike: "Well, we've got a lot of stuff in addition to Hybrid Theory. We've never played Hybrid Theory in sequence..."

Are you going to mix the album or stay true to it?

Mike: "I think that we're gonna play it in sequence - we're not gonna mess with it. This is an opportunity to celebrate the record the way it was. After we do that, then we'll have some fun. But as far as playing the record it'll be played how it was meant to be heard"
    Chester: "We're all really excited to play the whole thing - it's going to be huge!"

Source: Kerrang! | murphyLP

Micah

Micah Member

Might want to fix that date ;)

LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

I'm literally trying to read the low resolution preview! >_<

murphyLP

murphyLP The blood of innocence burning in the skies

I actually managed to read a lot haha

Perhaps I will get blind now that i forced my eyes this much...

Joe

oops.

BLACKOUT

BLACKOUT Well-Known Member

managed to read most of it, wasn't really much else that we haven't heard already..
    oh Mike mentioned Mumford & Sons this time instead of CHVRCHES.. >.>

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

YAAAAY! :phone:

BLACKOUT

Like, I get that these bands are weaker in sound, but they are all very talented bands at what they do and it isn't really their fault that people consider them 'Rock'.
    If Mike really want's to get his point across, go at bands like 1D or 5 Seconds of Summer, the 'Rock' bands that are just pure shit and dominate radio. That will get people on his side.

Serenity

Serenity Suffocating in the mess

"If you like that sort of thing." Damn, Mike, you cold.

minuteforce

Shinoda's argument never touches on the idea of CHVRCHES being considered a rock band because that would be crazy. I believe that he uses them as an example of a band that's more popular today than traditional rock bands are.

While that would get a smile out of me, the fanbases warring would not.

Joe

Alright, typed up the whole thing. So glad I read that minuscule as fuck text for that riveting interview from Kerrang!. Tons of new info. :kappa:

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

When I saw this I immediately thought of UIG

Then I looked at news post and was disappointed

Zak

Zak HEY, EVERYONE! GET IN HERE!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
    minuteforce

So ... were Shinoda and Chester actually in the same room together or were they interviewed separately? :lol:

BLACKOUT

I just think this passive-aggressive 'oh I like these guys, but they are kind, well sort of 'softer', but I still really really like them' stuff is crap.
    IMO, Just come out and attack the bands that warrant it or don't say anything at all.
    I mean, what better way to make your point valid and gain respect and attention from the right people,
    I know if there's a lot of angry teenagers at Mike for telling the truth, then there are going to be a lot of happy rock fans with him :)

Joe

minuteforce

I feel the same way, really.

Mercedes AMG

Mercedes AMG Vrooom vroooom!!

At least they didn't say the word "Visceral" :kappa:

Zak

Zak HEY, EVERYONE! GET IN HERE!

Better than staring at a shitty presentation. #NoRegrets

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

So we found out what the title means (sorta) and we know that they'll play HT in sequence (which is cool), and that they might probably play it again sometime...