Chester Bennington interviewed by 3 News

Discussion in 'News' started by minuteforce, Apr 29, 2014.

BLACKOUT

BLACKOUT Well-Known Member

I'll be honest, once or twice a week i'll put on ATS when I hop into bed and fall asleep.. I just find it to be a beautiful piece of art, the story that follows and the atmosphere it produces is calming yet powerful.

IllogicalSystem

IllogicalSystem Electronic

Huh. :O I could never fall asleep to it, because as you said, it's a beautiful piece of art. It's not perfect, but it's certainly the best I've heard from this group. It actually is composed of well thought out melodies and actually has lyrics that don't make me want to cringe so hard that future generations feel it. But this really isn't the place to talk about ATS or to help start one of those fiery debates for no reason. :p

EastGhost

EastGhost Banned

Blackee is right. The band has this chip on their shoulder acting like they are bringing back rock. Can't wait for them to look like fools claiming this and promoting Until It's Gone as their lead single when they could easily choose a heavy song that proves their point and represents the album.

BLACKOUT

I don't think anything can ever be considered perfect just because of the subjective nature of music.. but like you said, it's the best thing we've heard from this group melodically & lyrically!
    & yes, not the place to talk about this :p

Nibali

Nibali Member

HAHA good joke, i like to laugh.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
    Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

"BLACKOUT, BLOOD IN YOUR EYE!"

"AND I'M NOT A ROBOT, I'M NOT A MONKEY. I WILL NOT DANCE EVEN IF THE BEAT'S FUNKY. OPPOSITE OF LAZY, FAR FROM A PUNK. Y'ALL OUGHTA STOP TALKING. START TRYNA CATCH UP MOTHERFUCKA!".

Yup, amazing well written lyrics. 10/10. Mike makes Pac, Eminem, Biggie, and Nas look like amateur rappers. Jokes aside, the only thing ATS is, is just one big 47 minute mess. Experimental doesn't = good. The only solid track on the album is Waiting for The End. Burning in The Skies is ok. Iridescent and the Catalyst are decent. The rest are just laughable. Only thing worse than the worst songs on ATS is Victimized and Until It breaks.

Zachary

Zachary Banned

I won't count Hybrid Theory or Meteora here. Minutes To Midnight was a straight forward rock album, IMO, borderline pop rock on a lot of the tracks. A Thousand Suns was.... I don't even know, it was progressive in terms of song structures and it had a lot of electronic elements and some pop rock elements, too, on some songs. Living Things was kind of like Minutes To Midnight and A Thousand Suns combined, IMO. It had a lot of the pop rock elements of Minutes To Midnight and it had a lot of the electronic elements from A Thousand Suns, it also had some interesting song structures on some tracks like A Thousand Suns did. Basically what I am saying here is that LP haven't been exactly balls to the wall rock all this time. They have definitely contributed to ''safe rock'' and shit like that since 2007. At first, I thought Mike was just saying this stuff to hype up LP fans and get a point out there that this album will be heavy and more rock oriented. But now, it's getting to sound a bit douchebagish. They've said things like this in almost every new interview for the album, basically bashing other artists without directly saying their names and acting like LP is some God in the rock and metal world. A lot of people I know that are really into metal and rock think LP is the opposite of that now. LP is going about this new direction in the wrong way, it seems to me.

Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

:dafuq: since Mike opened this kind of mentality in going back to guitar-driven, rock-oriented album. The most difficult part is that when this album cycle come to an end and the band decided to return to electronics again for LP7 because they don't want to make another "what i've done" shit.. Man, that would be hard especially THP finally embraced a lot of fans from HT & Meteora days.

Nicholas

I just find it funny that one of the biggest mainstream rock bands out there have the nerve to call out other bands calling them "Safe" and "Predictable" which is pretty much the definition of Linkin Park. Sure they've took some risks, but never have they strayed away from the Pop Rock mainstream, they've always had a huge single for the radio every record. LP has never been hardcore rock, they've always been a radio friendly, mainstream, Rap/Pop rock band since the beginning. Now out of nowhere, them of all bands are going to bring back heavy rock to the mainstream? Makes them sound a bit cocky (Lol "cocky") and a bit hypocritical. Though I suppose if any band where to do it, it'd be them considering they have one the biggest fanbases in rock and would give them a perfect opportunity to showcase the kind of rock they want back. Which makes no fucking sense that they would say all this shit and then release the softest track on the album as a lead single. /Rant

Knt.Slbs

Because of the label....

Nicholas

Then they probably shouldn't have come off as douchebags in the first place if they were urged to make this song their lead single. They should have never mentioned other bands, and just strictly marketed the album as a more guitar/drum heavy album with a few softer songs with electronic elements thrown in the mix so it's not wild from beginning to end. That's all they had to say. Call it an album that would appeal to all LP fans and that would've been fine.

Knt.Slbs

Yeah! That's right.... the only thing that bugs me is that by the time THP cycle is over. then they voice out to return to electronics like ATS/LT for LP7, then that would just so ridiculous.. I just don't know what to say.

Zachary

Zachary Banned

This is true honestly. I usually will defend LP 98% of the time, but there is no arguing with this. LP could have even said something along the lines of ''We're sick of the indie and pop music that is on the radio at the moment so we are trying something different with this album and trying to bring the rock back a bit''. No need to directly lash out at other artists or make fun of things using words like ''safe rock'', etc, when LP have done ''safe rock'' since 2007 at least.

Nicholas

Yeah, calling out other bands will only make them look bad, and LP doesn't need nor should they want that kind of reputation. It won't lead to anything good.

And that's probably what's going to happen. Well, actually I don't know, they could surprise us. Maybe they'll adapt to whatever's new at the time. They're a band in their late 30s, after this I honestly wouldn't mind them scaling back a bit for their sake. LP folk album anyone?

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

You have your point and opinion LPxDBZ which is perfectly valid, but I'm kinda puzzled on how you rant about LP getting their "softest" song out as a single without even listening to it yet. Sure, descriptions say it's not as #VISCERAL as the rest, but you make it sound as if it was another In Between.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Opinions.

"Victimized" and "Breaks" are two of my absolute favourites on "Living Things", partly because of Shinoda's raps on both. I think that they're much better than anything else he's done to date.

I don't have much issue with the lyrics in "When They Come For Me" - I actually think that they're some of the best Shinoda has come out with in recent years - and I have zero issue with the lyrics in "Blackout". On the whole, I think that the lyrics throughout "A Thousand Suns" are very much alright.

No-one here has gone and claimed that Shinoda is the best of the best but I personally don't find any of the songs you've mentioned cringeworthy. I criticise Shinoda's rapping as much as the next guy but I still feel that he has improved greatly since "The Rising Tied", for which I'm very glad.

Nicholas

You're right, I shouldn't be judging it too much already. It will probably surprise me. I don't want to flat out call it an In Between style song or In Pieces though. I'm actually hoping for something like What I've Done, that's the style of Linkin Park I like the most. I guess with the song being described as very different than the rest of the tracks and not as aggressive I've been looking at it has a Powerless (Even though Derek confirmed that it isn't) kind of song where it's not extremely soft, but not exactly aggressive (Or at least not as much as the rest of the album based on the previews)

Of course. Everyone's taste and opinions are different. I thought tracks like Kenji and High Road were better lyrically than any rap verse on ATS, but that's just me. I don't think anyone thinks Mike's a great rapper, but I never really see him looked at as awful ether. He kind of just does his own thing and it can be awful or it can be good. I just mainly don't like Mike's lyrics on ATS. LTs is not as bad I guess. I thought Lost In The Echo had some of his best verses in a while. The last verse of Until It Breaks isn't that bad, but Victimized just isn't for me. Actually, it's really just the length and the hook that bothers me on Victimized, I like Mike's faster paced rapping in it, but hate Chester's screaming in the song.

BLACKOUT

Like I said before, music is subjective, there is no need to mock mine or anyone else's opinion merely because you don't see it the way we do.
    I do not find the album to be a mess, I am able to grasp every concept and enjoy every second of it.

Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

You want cringeworthy, go listen to Meteora.

Nicholas

Actually, I wanted to apologize. I was being a bit of a douche there. I have no problem with whatever people like. I don't hate ATS by any means, and I wasn't trying to mock you. I was just making fun of Mike and Chester's lyrics which I thought were funny. I of course took the worst parts too, they're are plenty of better lyrics on ATS. Only reason why I call ATS a mess is because it's all over the place to me, it's like they didn't know what sound they were trying to go for so they just threw darts at a board and went with whatever they landed on. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I would have preferred if the album were structured similar rather than each song sounding like it belongs in a different genre. Waiting for The End is one of my favorite LP songs though, if that counts. My favorite LP album is Meteora, and being on this forum with that opinion I see posts like mine above all the time. So I guess I know how that feels, lol.