Until It's Gone Review Thread

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by EastGhost, May 5, 2014.

fio1310

fio1310 Well-Known Member

I don't get how people can say it's superior to What I've Done... The lyrics in WID blow this one out of the water, the delivery from Chester is great in both, the mixing is so much clearer in WID, and the general quality of the music is infinitely better in WID. You have the perfect intro, the guitars that come in and then die out perfectly, a great bridge, and a perfect outro. I think people look at it less favourably now because songs like New Divide (which still is awesome) and BID copied the formula. Until it's gone neither has the lyrics, the great mixing, or the musical variety to be better. HOWEVER I am not dissing Until It's Gone. It still packs a punch, I love hte heavyness, and think some of the quieter moments are lovely too. Just not quite in the amazing category.

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

[​IMG]

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

:leo:

deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

Love it.

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Just bought the single off iTunes. The quality is a lot better! Bumpin this up from a 6 to a 7 out of 10.

...And holy fack that little snippet at the end there just refueled the hype. Dat Xero baby.

merrillmind

merrillmind Well-Known Member

My own personal take.

Fantastic instrumentation, the blend of guitar and synth is really creative. This song is unlike any current "pop rock" songs on the charts. The vocals are superb, but hey that's to be expected considering Chester is a living legend of phenomenal vocal prowess. His singing style in this song is very beautiful and emotional. The lyrics are simplistic, but that doesn't make them any less meaningful than more eloquent words would've been, for me it's the passion you can hear when Chester sings that gives these "simple on the surface" lyrics far more depth and power. I really enjoy how the intensity builds up, and his the structure of this song was different than how LP normally layout a power ballad track. I'm also glad at how heavy this ballad still is, because we know how heavy this album will be overall and this song may be "softer" but definitely still very full of edge. The full length version (available on iTunes) has better production but this song is meant to be seen performed, due to its anthemic nature and on a stage you already can picture how intense Chester will make the end of this song. Bottom line I've been fan since 2000 and have always anticipated every new LP song because for me it's clear that LP only release music that excites them and that's how should be, first and foremost what they wanna make, not what some people prefer to hear.

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

I got it on repeat. So what

[​IMG]

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

...How?

I don't want to keep harping on this, because as anyone can see in my initial review I think this song is perfectly decent. But how is this structured differently?

Music starts out with an intro featuring all the instruments,
    1st verse is quiet with organ and the electronic arpeggio,
    Pre-chorus builds the music more with some beat
    Chorus hits and everything gets loud with all instruments,
    2nd verse is the 1st verse with more of a beat and not quite as quiet,
    Pre-chorus builds the sound more with louder Chester
    Chorus is loud
    Bridge is loud with guitar, then everything cuts out and fades back in
    Final Choruses

The way the song builds and drops and is structured is exactly the same as most Linkin Park songs, and most songs in general. Like, THE exact blueprint.

Again, I don't mean to keep nitpicking this thing, it's good for what it is and I like it well enough. But...I dunno. Overhype to me is what criticism is to a lot of other users here.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
    EastGhost

EastGhost Banned

Yeah I'm updating my score to a 6.5 to a 7 after purchasing it from iTunes.

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

★★☆☆☆

edit: and the guilty all the same score: ★★☆☆☆

thelastdisciple

thelastdisciple Active Member

I really dig the instrumentation but it's the vocals and lyrics that aren't doing it for me, very lukewarm.

Much prefer Guilty All the Same so far.

Gravity_LP

Gravity_LP Well-Known Member

9/10
    Love it! I only felt that the lyrics are kind of watered down. It's kinda repetitive but the guitars, synth, vocals and drums are goood. SO FUCKING EXCITED FOR THE ALBUM

ernieball003

ernieball003 Well-Known Member

It's a grower, that's for sure. And it's growing fast on me. Enough to the point where the "you don't know what you have, until it's gone" crap is... forgivable. The repetition is fine is the melody is good enough to stand on it's own.

Should be another fun one live.

EDIT: And it's another song where Rob is just killing it.

Star Scream

Star Scream Does A Machine Like You Ever Experience Fear

it was so unexpected to hear that but i think this album needs a poppy sort of song to tone it down (assuming the album is going to be heavy). Amazing song, i think it was the intention to make it repetitive because these repetitive lyrics are so meaningful it can apply to almost anyone. i place a bet for this to be new T4 single.

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

This is clearly some What I've Done shieeeet... But unlike WID, this has neither memorable guitars, melody, nor chorus. 4/10

HypnoToad

HypnoToad Glory to the HypnoToad! LPA VIP

Initially I was disappointed...however the song is a grower. I still prefer GATS though.

Niklas

Niklas BadaBinge LPA VIP

I really like it. gave it a couple of listens on my stereo. The Structure, the Soundscape, and yes, I like the lyrics a lot. All in all, 8/10.

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

"Guilty All the Same" is still better, but it still kicks ass despite the radio-ish vibe to it.

Top2Bottom

Top2Bottom Well-Known Member

After a plethora of listens to date, UIG has without doubt grown on me. The lyrics seem less of an issue now, but I just wish they had mixed the drums to be more of a focus. The beat is almost the lifeblood here. Solid song nonetheless.

-NodA-

-NodA- Well-Known Member

At the first listen, it was a big meh. I was listening to it on BBC, while eating with my gf (quite an awkward moment) and I didn't like it, I didn't hate it. I had this "That's it ?!" moment at the end.

BUT, this morning, before leaving to work, i listened to it again and i LOVED it ! Yes that chorus is repetitive as fuck but the verses are great :WTF:
    I love the melody, Chester's voice and that organ in the background. Can't wait to listen the HQ version.