Until It's Gone Review Thread

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by EastGhost, May 5, 2014.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Ok, I agree with all of this, this is definitely a growner. I also listened to it again this morning, and I was like "Fuck? This is better than I remember!":)

The structure was what disappointed me at first, but the melodies/harmonies/choirs are really contagious honestly. That organ sound during the verse is amazing, and I personnly really like how Chester sings that "Oh you don't know what you've got" with that dramatic tone. Bridge is short but sweet and yeah, the weird outro is awesome! ahah

I'm changing my vote to a good 7/10. Hopefully it won't go down again, but my opinion right now is : pretty good!

Last edited: May 6, 2014
    Shark Attack

Shark Attack Well-Known Member

Those calling this "perfection" etc at the start should be ashamed.

Meh song, musically not too bad, what the hell has happened to Chester though? 5/10

Guilty was better (though the mixing on that chorus still irks me)

RazorEye

RazorEye The light on the horizon...

I'll sing my review to the melody of "Until it's Gone":

I love this song...

I love this song...

I love this song...

I love this...

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO O

alex172005

alex172005 Member

Very underwhelmed by this song. I just about lost my mind the first time I heard GATS, and this one really dropped my expectations on THP.

I understand that they might have been pressured to make a radio friendly single, or maybe they just really liked writing this song, but I really hope in the end that this is my least favorite on the album.

Oh well, I've gotten used to being really overhyped by LP albums because of the way the band speaks so highly of their new work every time, so I don't think I'll be too disappointed.

My biggest disappointment about them releasing this song as a single is that now I know that they'll most likely play it on every set of their tour later this year. I'm disappointed that this is going to take up a spot on the setlist. One that another song could've filled. Oh well, still excited to see them.

dontFindOutMe

dontFindOutMe Well-Known Member

I like it a lot now. 8/10 for me. Would have problably loved it if only I wasn't spoiled by GATS:awesome:

NimaLP

NimaLP LP Persian Soldier

I love it. The energy of the song is like this:
    o
    oo
    ooooo
    oooooooo
    oooooooooooo
    ooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo (WOW!)

But I rate it 8.25/10 !!! Only because it's not as cool as songs I've rated 8.5/10.

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

Honestly, I love it. It's absolutely beautiful, everything after the second verse(besides the cool synth bridge) is absolute shit though. I think this song should of completely been an electronic orchestral ambient ballad. No guitars or numb synth. Because the melody Chester sings is one of the best vocals melodies they've done, it's just the lyrics, chorus and mixing suck.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

It's a good song, but right now I'm just totally "meh" on it.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't fit the record at all. The guitars are probably there for cohesion and if it benefits the record as a whole, I'm all for it, even though the track itself could maybe have been more original without them.

Also, I don't agree with "everything else after is shit". The guitar part in the bridge might be simple and short, but it gives me goosebumps. Definitely an highlight of the song IMO, I just wish it was longer.

Delicious Dave

I've listened to it a bunch of times. It's enjoyable. I just hate the last bit so much, that battle line, ugh.

BrandonR24

BrandonR24 Well-Known Member

Love the organ on the track. It's a good jam for the most part and I haven't gotten tired of it. Like most people I like it more now then I did yesterday.
    7.5/10 for me. GATS just set the bar high for me. Absolutely love that haha.

Spooky

Spooky Well-Known Member

Simple lyrics, Big message... With the instruments and the whole feeling through the song it really gets me the feels. great execution, Love the guitars too which are a bit darker then anything on the last 2/3 albums, I think this anthem like song with those repetitive lyrics, I really feel the ''broad'' feeling they put in. I am the only one i guess who likes the mixing of these new songs cause I'm a live performance watcher and this raw edge is just far more enjoyable for me. I give this song an 8.5/10, In terms of melody its also a style I haven't seen yet. LP is building such a versatile Discography, I'm hyped for the whole album. The power of the guitars is something you don't see everyday in the TOP40 rock charts anymore. That is my opinion :)

Delicious Dave

My brother's speaker is awesome!

Hrvman

Hrvman Well-Known Member

At first, big disapointment, really, I didn't expect that, found it too pop, too commercial, already heard, I don't know ...

But yes, like The Catalyst, it kinda gets better after more and more listenings, so yes, that's clearly not what I expected, but LP did it well, so let's see what the album will offer next.

I can't say it's a bad song, not my favourite either, but like some people said (just learnt a new word today) it's a "growner" and the album will be good.

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

Well you've just said it. WID is a perfect example of the "perfect radio friendly" pop rock single. Everything it's precisely measured to a tee. You know what the chorus is. The breakdown, Etc.

UIG is more interesting to me (at least entitially) mainly cause it has so many more layers, the guitars are more intricate the background synths are unique and though the song structure isn't that much more different from your typical radio single, it still does more interesting things with it much like Waiting for the End does. It's dynamic changes constantly. Whereas with songs like WID you could cut and past the first chorus to the second or last chorus and you probably wouldn't be none the wiser. In UIG it's choruses length and arrangement are too all over the place to do that. Perhaps that's the songs weakness? But I like how it keeps me guessing.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

I think this might be LP's song that is hurt by lyrics the most. Give me the exact same song with lyrics that are semi-decent and I would hail this as a classic. To be honest, I don't mind the actual course that repeats "Until It's Gone." It's the pre chorus "and you don't know what you've got.." that makes me want to ask Chester what the fuck he is thinking, haha.

But Chester's delivery is incredible and gives me chills. Overall, it's enjoyable to listen to. But the lyrics on the rest of the album need to be far better than this. There's just no excuse after 14 years of experience.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I do agree with this sentiment. I think that the lyrics (and the repetitiveness of them) makes the song very difficult to enjoy for me. I think this song would be more fitting on a Meteora-esque album, but as you said, 14 years should not produce a song like this. Cliche statements like, "You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone" just don't get to me. It's amazing to me that following A Thousand Suns, which was an incredibly strong album lyrically, Linkin Park has struggled so far since. Some songs off of LIVING THINGS have good lyrics, but overall I am really not impressed. Both "Guilty All the Same" and "Until It's Gone" are weakened by their lyrics (with the exception of Rakim's verse).

I think what bugs me most about all of this is how Mike has gone on record about how some bands just aren't making real rock anymore. I've mentioned this in the Shoutbox before, but he specifically cites Foster the People and mentions how Mark Foster used to be a jingle writer. I understand wanting to produce a harder, more rock-esque album - but why compromise lyrics? Mark Foster's lyrics are amongst the best I've heard from any band, and yet Mike kind of puts down (not intentionally) all of these bands because they're not rock anymore. Rock should not entail bad lyrics. It does not entail bad lyrics.

I remember watching LPTV videos, where literally Mike and Chester were sitting, breaking down the words of the song "The Catalyst," and it was so cool to me to watch that - thought into the lyrics. I don't think that happens anymore, and that's disappointing. I am hopeful that, lyrically, "Guilty All the Same" and "Until It's Gone" are the weakest points on The Hunting Party.

Instrumentally the song is good too, but it doesn't surprise me. I like songs that surprise me and this one is predictable.

Overall, 4/10. Not impressed. For context, I'd give "Guilty All the Same" 7/10.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

I like it, it's not my favorite they've released, but it's a whole hell of a lot better than Burn it Down (I refuse to capitalize the entire title) or any other single they released since then with the exception of GATS.

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

RUDE

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

the lyrics arent that good but the way Chester sings it makes it good.

I wasnt sure after first but now I have it on repeat.

10/10 for me. I think I might be starting to like it more than GATS. Im not sure though. Both are great in different ways

THP on pace to be a perfect 10/10 so far :kappa:

I expect A Line in the Sand to be a soft song. They will be heavier throughout the album and then calm down for the "the peace after the storm" like an after war ending. But I dont see more than 2 songs like this.

Last edited: May 7, 2014